Question PS2 controller mod input issues

Portables
0 (for now)
Hello! I've never posted here before, and I've also never used a soldering iron before either, so there's a good chance that the solution to this is very simple - however, a brief search didn't help, so I thought I would ask here.

Basically, I'm currently converting a regular (third party) PS2 controller into one that I can use for the rhythm game Pop'n Music! I've been following the old guide at http://popn.ecxol.net/, and it's actually been working great for my first project! When I got to testing the buttons, the game actually recognised the controller as what it's supposed to be!

Sadly, it's not all sunshine, as several of my buttons are having input issues (though fortunately Start and Select are working perfectly fine).

In menu
  • Square, Triangle registering constant/rapid button presses.
In gameplay
  • Square, Triangle, Up do not register presses.
  • R1 triggers Circle, X upon press.
  • R1 triggers Square, Triangle, Up when released.

Obviously, something's getting crossed here, but I'm not sure where it's happening or where to look! I can't clearly see anything that's been shorted (that I didn't intend to).

124EB759-5864-49E2-AFE0-42B2E1FB0D41.jpeg

C54A2DC7-55EE-4233-9F9C-B373247603E4.jpeg

I apologise now for my poor soldering.

If the analog stick is not connected to the controller, it will malfunction. Please connect an analog stick or add a resistor.

Portables
0 (for now)
If the analog stick is not connected to the controller, it will malfunction. Please connect an analog stick or add a resistor.
Might I be able to ask why this is? The controller wouldn't be able to be recognised as a Pop'n Music controller if it had the analog sticks, so adding it back on wouldn't be viable.

EDIT: A more important question, actually - where am I supposed to put the resistor exactly?

EDIT 2: I've tried measuring the resistance that the analogue sticks had, so I could maybe at least find what kind of resistor I needed, but I didn't really know where to start there either.
In the end, I've decided to just go and get an original, non-Dualshock Playstation controller. Hopefully that'll work.

Last edited: