Worklog Wii portable "Ashida Wavebird" worklog

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
So in the process of putting it together today I made 2 crucial fuck-ups.

1) I missed the part about making sure BBloader was updated to at least version 1.2, since I ripped this board out of my Gboy it was running an older version. Kinda hard to install the update when I have no image on screen.

2) This is the proper fuck up - I somehow managed to absolutely destroy the V5 via, required for both DD and really any video output....... So this board is dead.
IMG_20210417_154532.jpg

So a new board will be trimmed tomorrow, I've already prepped it with the correct software and tinned the required vias so hopefully no more mishaps.

Attachments

You are very skilled Wesk so no worries! Sorry about the bump in the road but it's looking really awesome!

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Success!.....mostly

New board has been trimmed and installed. Spent a big chunk of the day testing and making sure everything is sweet.

The amount of wires required for digital audio and DD is pretty time consuming:
IMG_20210418_132237.jpg

And system is running, albeit with some issues with the DD, flickering and colour changes. Could be my wires or soldering but will have a chat with Aurelio and will see if we can get it sorted.

There also seems to be some glitch with the U-amp - it works as intended but when the volume is increased close to max a whole heap of static noise is generated and won't go away until the unit is restarted. Not a huge issue as I don't need it that loud but it's worth noting.
IMG_20210418_152536.jpg

Controls feel absolutely perfect. I'll get some footage playing smash soon.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
In the meantime while I'm sorting DD issues I'll continue to make adjustments to the 3d print files so you guys can start printing these beauties.

I did find a couple little issues while assembling (which were easily fixed with some flush cutters) which I'll fix on the meshes themself.

I also somehow missed the fact that I set up the cooling system for 7mm tall fan and heatsink but had the stand-offs set for 10mm in height, so I had to trim down the stand-offs which in-turn made the Wii drop lower than intended so I had to slightly trim the edge of the USB-C board. This will be fixed for the release model so no USB-C board trimming will be required.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Well I think this brings us to the end of the worklog.

Screen issues have been resolved, Aurelio and I have determined the issues to be caused by the FFC connector on the DD - seems it needed a little more pressure for a strong connection since the ribbon was bent. So an easy fix was to just put a small piece of cardboard under the ribbon. Now I have crispy, noise free DD goodness.
IMG_20210420_190222.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the "Finished" product....and by finished I mean there are still improvements and adjustments being made before the 3D print files become available (larger batteries, other things).

Soon™

IMG_20210420_190136.jpg
IMG_20210420_190025.jpg
IMG_20210420_185001.jpg
IMG_20210420_190825.jpg

Future Gamecube keyboard Controllers thank you, any idea when or if the files will be available?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Future Gamecube keyboard Controllers thank you, any idea when or if the files will be available?
I suppose I can share a bit more information now. I've been working with @Gman and @Shank for the last month or so developing custom boards for the Ashida that will take advantage of the new boards at 4layertech.com. Files will be released when boards have been finalised and tested to verify they fit and operate as desired.

Here's some concept pictures in the meantime:
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png

Wow, that is next level. Excited to see the progress on this—looks like it will almost piece together like lego!

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Awesome work, Wesk. This looks like its going to be the portable we have all dreamed of for years. Really excited we have been able to contribute to and help improve such an incredible project.

This is equivalent to a portable endgame for a console. Amazing work. :!:

Any progress on this? Wouldn't it be cool to add a 480p HDMI-out port?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Sorry for the delays, it shouldn't take too much longer. We spent way too much time trying to source/make the perfect power switch (Something that feels similar to a GBA switch), couple that with the chip shortage and not being able to provide parts like the DD, a few changes needed to be made to support alternatives but it shouldn't be much longer.

480p HDMI out would be pretty simple to add yourself when the files are released.

Getting a switch small enough with the right tactile feel can def be tough. Thanks for the update! Take your time, i'm just excited for this!

So keen to see the final files available.

I have only just gotten slightly interested in this rabbit hole of a hobby, and after watching shanks video for his switch controllers and some portable wii vids I was keen to try my hand at melding the two.

Thought I’d jump on here and look for some knowledge bases to education myself. Little did I realise I’d find someone who no only had the same idea as me but was 1000 times more qualified to execute it.

i have two questions though.
1. Is Bluetooth headphones a possibility?

2. when you’re all ready to release this into the wild will you be able to do a build guide of sorts for those of us noobs who want this awesomeness, but are not as up to speed as we could be. Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to be doing my research and learning from now on, but a bit of a guide would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the hard work you have put into this project, I’m so keen.

cheers

Triptych.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
1. Is Bluetooth headphones a possibility?
Yes they are, see my Aran build.

2. when you’re all ready to release this into the wild will you be able to do a build guide of sorts for those of us noobs who want this awesomeness, but are not as up to speed as we could be. Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to be doing my research and learning from now on, but a bit of a guide would be much appreciated.
A guide would be helpful I agree, the best guide to follow at the moment would be the Gboy build guide but there may be an adapted guide made for the Ashida after it is released.