Raspberry Pi Handheld Audio Help

Portables
Hey guys, so I am making a handheld (sheck out my worklog here), and I am trying to figure out what I should do for audio. My plan is to have a 3.5mm audio out so I can plug in headphones, but I also want to have speakers as well. The screen i'm using (link here) already has an audio amplifier, so I will use that to drive the speakers. For the audio output I was thinking of just extending the Raspberry Pi's audio jack out to the edge of my case, but I'm not sure how i would switch between the two. I'd like it to default to speakers but switch to headphones if they are plugged in. Is there any way to do this? also, does anyone know the pinouts for the audio jack on the raspberry pi 4?

Portables
The screen i'm using (link here) already has an audio amplifier, I'd like it to default to speakers but switch to headphones if they are plugged in. Is there any way to do this? also, does anyone know the pinouts for the audio jack on the raspberry pi 4?
So just wanted to point out that screen you've linked, from the image on the site for the PCB, the layout already has a HP jack on the screen, so desoldering and resoldering the pins/jack on the outside of your case the screen amp will handle your switching when the headphone is plugged in at least that's what I would assume.

You could Google the datasheet for the amp which should be the chip beside the pins for the speakers. There are 5 pads for the headphone jack which means one pad would be a switch on ground or an audio line

Attachments

Last edited:
Portables
So just wanted to point out that screen you've linked, from the image on the site for the PCB, the layout already has a HP jack on the screen, so desoldering and resoldering the pins/jack on the outside of your case the screen amp will handle your switching when the headphone is plugged in at least that's what I would assume.

You could Google the datasheet for the amp which should be the chip beside the pins for the speakers. There are 5 pads for the headphone jack which means one pad would be a switch on ground or an audio line
I was hoping to use the Raspberry Pi audio jack so I could use shorter wires, but I guess this is the best solution. Thanks for the help!

here is an example of how you could solder the Left and Right source cable on your pi 4
1625488146939.png

Portables
here is an example of how you could solder the Left and Right source cable on your pi 4
View attachment 17926
Thanks, I decided to go with the 3.5mm audio jack on the screen. I just desoldered it, moved it to the spot for it on my case, and it works perfectly!