Question NDSL HDMI Out Mod

hi,
after spending a while refurbing ds lites, i've begun to mod some since i have a few sitting around. i've been working on prep for a hdmi out mod for the ndsl, as i haven't seen very many around.

my question is, the nds obviously doesn't output a hdmi signal natively, so i'd need to use an fpga (probably on a custom ribbon cable) to translate the lcd signal into a hdmi signal. does anyone know of a way to go about this?

i'm aware of the brilliant work done over at problemkaputt, but in addition to the resource seeming a bit incomplete, i have to admit that i haven't worked with video signals a whole lot, so a lot of the acronyms have gone way over my head, and it seems difficult to find their hdmi counterparts. i've attached the problemkaputt resource if anyone would like to break it down. if i'm missing anything, please let me know.

edit: i still have yet to test and find out what the video signal is from the ndsl, but i heard one person somewhere say that it might be lvds. unfortunately, i can't find where it was that i read this, but if that's true, then (through some very surface level digging) i may have found a solution that doesn't require programming entirely custom fpgas. assuming the video signal is lvds, it can be converted into tmds in the fashion mentioned here. obviously, this would pose some issues with audio, but there's always a headphone jack.

if anyone finds this project interesting, or has any information that i may have missed at all, please feel free to respond to this thread, pm me here, or on discord. :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Good luck that would be awesome! If you manage to get this done and working take a look at the 3ds and see if you can create a hdmi mod for that!

I was actually looking into developing something like this, I'll do some digging as well as some testing to see what I can come up with. As with Luca I have boards being made and will be testing the NDS TV OUT and seeing if a FPGA is required. If it is, then uh I guess its time to learn how to program them.

EDIT: I would assume an FPGA would be required if things like line doubling or filtering were to be a part of it, but that's something to consider later.

Last edited:
Already received the boards :)
View attachment 16258
Just need to order the components, actually.. I'll do that soon-ish probably. maybe never tho
Just some advice if you do order the components, Mouser is the only place that currently has the OpAmp in stock, digikey and lcsc are both on back order until sometime next month.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Just some advice if you do order the components, Mouser is the only place that currently has the OpAmp in stock, digikey and lcsc are both on back order until sometime next month.
Farnell also have stock and it's faster (2 days even 1 day in Europe)

Currently attempting to do this mod, board files have already been sent to the fab.
View attachment 16102
Installed the software side, which was kind of a hassle.. Currently switching screens using an extra button soldered to the ds. This'll be pretty cool if it works
How do you switch between screens? Can you tell me please? Thank you.

Luca

How do you switch between screens? Can you tell me please? Thank you.
No problem, follow the installation instructions here:

Except for the flashME step, that step requires a GBA flashcart which I didn't have, so I used this tutorial:

Then solder a button to testpoint GND and either testpoint p10, p11 or p12, I don't remember.

Took me a while to figure it out, so just reply here if you can't get it to work

No problem, follow the installation instructions here:

Except for the flashME step, that step requires a GBA flashcart which I didn't have, so I used this tutorial:

Then solder a button to testpoint GND and either testpoint p10, p11 or p12, I don't remember.

Took me a while to figure it out, so just reply here if you can't get it to work
Thank you very much.

Luca

So like, I did it:

It's attached to this molested GBA macro that I made when I just started with electronics, but it works lol. You have to hold down A, B, select, start in order for the firmware to work, since I followed the old tutorial. Looks like that they fixed that in a new version? If so, good job guys lol

Didn't think much about what to do with it much more, may make a custom thingie for it or something so it doesn't dangle from the DS so much..?

Good contender for a "WORLD'S LARGEST NINTENDO DS" video or something.. @Shank? or element14? >:)
Untitledding.png

I have several questions, one what parts did you use, second how tf does the touch screen work when it’s on the tv?