Worklog Xbox Handheld

Hi guys im working on a project that is a childhood dream of mine. I once saw this image when I was in high school and thought to myself that I wish it really existed. well, its been over a decade and no one has made it yet so I have decided to embark on the journey.

121980043_346402549773902_4483564524735597139_n.jpg

Here is my plan,

So I'm not smart enough to try to fit a real xbox inside this so I'm going to do it the cheating way by using a Samsung galaxy S8 as the screen and brains of the system and just use xbox xcloud game streaming to play halo. the challenge for me is to first 3d model the case and then work out how to get the controls to work. Ive come to the idea that a Teensy LC could work as the microcontroller so that I can wire up all the inputs to it and then plug it into my phone and hope that it will work that way.

I also want to make custom pcb's for each side of the controller similar to the DMG piboy has (see picture) If anyone knows a person how is willing to create the PCB for me that would be great (willing to pay obviously )
s-l1600.png

If you want it to be the exact shape of a 360 controller, you want to use one of those ideally. did you try if you hookup the xbox360-to-usb adapter to the phone, whether it will recognize? That way you can just hack a 360 controller, instead of rebuilding those controller shapes and buttons all from scratch.

I guess otherwise you would use a teensy and wire all xbox 360 buttons up to it.

Yeah I'm using the shape of a 360 controller but I'm still going to model it from scratch because I want to use my own custom supports for the new pcb . cant use the old controller pdb because it will need to be cut in half and that seems like a harder way to do it. But my biggest challenge at the moment is how to make a custom pcb. Looking at the gameboy example above it looks fairly simple I just need someone who can make it for me one I know the dimensions

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Use some PCB design software (KiCad or Eagle for example) to design the pcb. There's plenty of places around that do small scale PCB manufacturing now, JLCpcb, pcbway, there's quite a few of them so take your pick. Hopefully you're fairly experienced with CAD because copying the shape of that controller won't be a simple task. I would start by at least getting some nice clear reference photos of the controller and setting them up in your cad software on three planes (top, side, back view) so you have something to work from. You may find tutorials on drawing cars in 3D helpful, as this is a similar process to what you will need to do to get the shape correct.
If you want to be able to run the game natively the PC port of the first Halo runs pretty well on low end hardware. I've got it running nicely on my diy ufo portable which is only an atom z8350 processor with 2g of ram.

One other thought I just had about this, are you sure the controller input works through the phone? I was under the impression that remote play was just the video signal going to the phone and your xbox remote still connected directly to your console. I've done very little research on the matter though, so I could definitely be wrong about that.

Use some PCB design software (KiCad or Eagle for example) to design the pcb. There's plenty of places around that do small scale PCB manufacturing now, JLCpcb, pcbway, there's quite a few of them so take your pick. Hopefully you're fairly experienced with CAD because copying the shape of that controller won't be a simple task. I would start by at least getting some nice clear reference photos of the controller and setting them up in your cad software on three planes (top, side, back view) so you have something to work from. You may find tutorials on drawing cars in 3D helpful, as this is a similar process to what you will need to do to get the shape correct.
If you want to be able to run the game natively the PC port of the first Halo runs pretty well on low end hardware. I've got it running nicely on my diy ufo portable which is only an atom z8350 processor with 2g of ram.

One other thought I just had about this, are you sure the controller input works through the phone? I was under the impression that remote play was just the video signal going to the phone and your xbox remote still connected directly to your console. I've done very little research on the matter though, so I could definitely be wrong about that.
So Im working on the project with my brother and he is experienced with CAD and will be making the 3d model, my job is to find away to make the controls work.

to answer your question about the controls working directly from the phone, yes it will work. I don't even own an xbox but I can connect my xbox controller to my phone and play the game fine. I'm hoping that my custom controller using a teensy will also work too.

I am aware of PCB manufacturing companys that I can use to make the PCB but I'm just not just how to make the schematic to upload their site. I tried to use a software to make it but I just don't get it. I'm sure that an experienced person could whip it up in like 10 minutes as its very simple.

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Oh right, cloud streaming. Sorry I thought you were talking about the console streaming option they've released on Xbox one recently.

As for the PCB sure, it probably isn't that complicated. If you want to pay someone to do it you will still need to at least give them some drawings to describe where you want the buttons and how big you want the PCB etc. Your brother should be able to give you that information once he's finished the CAD side of it.

Oh right, cloud streaming. Sorry I thought you were talking about the console streaming option they've released on Xbox one recently.

As for the PCB sure, it probably isn't that complicated. If you want to pay someone to do it you will still need to at least give them some drawings to describe where you want the buttons and how big you want the PCB etc. Your brother should be able to give you that information once he's finished the CAD side of it.
Yeah that's what my plan is currently. I'm just getting all the info together then I'll be ready to commission the pcb to someone. I'll do a drawing and give dimensions once i know.

iS the picture in your profile picture something you made?

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Wow! I've just checked it out and that thing is a work or art! You should be really proud of that mate. How did you make the control pcb's for your set up?

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Wow! I've just checked it out and that thing is a work or art! You should be really proud of that mate. How did you make the control pcb's for your set up?
I drew them up manually in solidworks and machined them out of blank PCB material. Next time I'm going to use some proper design software and get my pcb's made professionally instead as getting the very fine 0.5mm spaced traces to work on the CNC was quite difficult.

Hi, I understand what you're saying. Many people want to play Xbox in their hands, but its motherboard is too big, and there is no way to solve the problem of heat dissipation. If you want to play at home, there is a way to use wireless transmission of video and sound, and integrate the handle and screen, which is actually feasible.

Quakers

Smash that like button!
Hi, I understand what you're saying. Many people want to play Xbox in their hands, but its motherboard is too big, and there is no way to solve the problem of heat dissipation.
So I'm not smart enough to try to fit a real xbox inside this so I'm going to do it the cheating way by using a Samsung galaxy S8 as the screen and brains of the system and just use xbox xcloud game streaming to play halo.
ok

Last edited: