Question Troubleshooting GC+ 2.0

Hello, I am working on a G-Wii and am having issues getting the buttons and joysticks to work. Namely, the GC+ 2.0 appears to not be working. I have spent the better half a 2 weeks researching and trying to find a solution to this issue I am having. Apparently, it's just not a problem other people seem to have.

Here is what I have so far: PMS, USB C board, batteries, 5" VGA screen from store, and Wii board are all wired together. As well as all buttons , save the d pad, wired to GC plus. Composite video is connected and is displaying video to 5" screen. Data line on GC+ is wired to Trimmed Wii board to the number 1 data via indicated on the Wii Trimming Guide. In spite of this, the Wii will not sense the GC+ 2.0 board. I see no cursor on screen in PortablizeMii and buttons will not work.

So far I have verified that the board is receiving 3.3v power, has a proper ground (grounded on PMS), and that data line connections are solid. All seems correct. Continuity test with volt meter confirm that data line is connected to via on Wii board.

I am at a loss here. I just can't get the built in controller to work. To help guide me I have been using a variety of tools from this website and have been religiously watching both of Noah's G-Wii build guides on YouTube.

So I don't know what else to do. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if perhaps I needed to run the GC+ configuration before the Wii trim... I did NOT have it installed on USB until after the trim. It is NOW visible on the PortablizeMii screen though. If only I could select it. -_-

In any case, I could use a hand here if anyone is able to assist. I would be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
You don't need to run the configurator to get GC+ to work. Can you provide clear pictures of your wiring?

I certainly can! This is basically what I am working with. For the record, I have tried apply GND and 3.3v to a couple alternative points as well and I get the same results.

Attachments

Portables
1 Woodii
I certainly can! This is basically what I am working with. For the record, I have tried apply GND and 3.3v to a couple alternative points as well and I get the same results.
The wire on the data pad looks a bit thick, I can't tell what gauge it is from the picture but if it's any thicker than 34 ga you might be getting interference.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I'm having the exact same issue, except when I hook my GC+ up to my GameCube, it works fine.
In OneSkyNet2012's case the issue is most likely caused by a faulty U10 relocation. If your Wii is already trimmed make sure your relocation is properly done

In OneSkyNet2012's case the issue is most likely caused by a faulty U10 relocation. If your Wii is already trimmed make sure your relocation is properly done
The relocation is working, i even went and re-flowed all of the solder, but still no luck with the GC+

I finally found the time to address my poor U10 relocation. Turns out one of the legs disconnected from the U10 and was hidden under the glob of solder I put on there. Oops. XD Thank you Aurelio for your troubleshooting idea. As soon as I fixed the U10 the GC+ worked right away.

The wire on the data pad looks a bit thick, I can't tell what gauge it is from the picture but if it's any thicker than 34 ga you might be getting interference.
It was a 30 gauge wire but I had had 38 magnet wire and was having the same issue. Turned out it was a bad U10 location. Issue resolved. :) Thank you for your input! :)

I've tried both vias for player 1 data and still no luck
Aurelio recommened that I see if my start up screen was having any lag. As it turned out, the Wii would take about 27 secounds to boot whitch is far too long. Aurelio suggested the U10 was installed incorrectly and he was right. I recommend you do the same. I was under the impression from the guides that if your U10 was not done properly then it would not boot at all. So I figured it was correctly relocated due to seeing the start screen but that was not the case. It did boot, but it was laggy and controller ports did not work. Now everything is working as expected! :)

Aurelio recommened that I see if my start up screen was having any lag. As it turned out, the Wii would take about 27 secounds to boot whitch is far too long. Aurelio suggested the U10 was installed incorrectly and he was right. I recommend you do the same. I was under the impression from the guides that if your U10 was not done properly then it would not boot at all. So I figured it was correctly relocated due to seeing the start screen but that was not the case. It did boot, but it was laggy and controller ports did not work. Now everything is working as expected! :)
I'll try it again when I get home

The Wii doesn't lag at boot and doesn't take long to boot, but the GameCube controller inputs still don't work, should I try swapping my u10 with u9?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The Wii doesn't lag at boot and doesn't take long to boot, but the GameCube controller inputs still don't work, should I try swapping my u10 with u9?
There can be different causes leading to the issue. Post some pictures of your wiring

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The soldering to the data line via seems a bit dirty. Make sure it's properly connected and not shorted with other vias. Also you should use at least awg32 for 3.3V and GND