Discussion G-Boy Rev III - DIY Portable Kit

Ceirt

Dual tact switches are used in the kit
:O , awesome, i want to have this kit so freaking much right now.

PD: is there a possible to buy individual L/R Z start buttons?. i want to make a g-boy that looks like a gamecube controller so... i would love to have a silver/gray L/R start buttons and a purple Z.

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
:O , awesome, i want to have this kit so freaking much right now.

PD: is there a possible to buy individual L/R Z start buttons?. i want to make a g-boy that looks like a gamecube controller so... i would love to have a silver/gray L/R start buttons and a purple Z.
If you've place an order you can PM me and we'll see what we can do.

The guide is currently being reviewed by a few members of the community. Once the peer review is finished, we will be making it live! Within the next few days you will be able to find it by clicking the "Manuals" link in the navigation bar.

guide-index.png

Ceirt

The guide is currently being reviewed by a few members of the community. Once the peer review is finished, we will be making it live! Within the next few days you will be able to find it by clicking the "Manuals" link in the navigation bar.

View attachment 12164
Sure i will PM you when i place the order (Cheese helped me with a trimmed wii so... right now i'm low on the budget for fun things to do xD)

View attachment 12164
Looks sick. Excited to see the finished result of that bad boy!

chao77

I'm guessing one of them is a referral bonus fro shankmods, since he was given a referral link.

Actually, I just placed my order the other day but I was referred here by Shankmods but I don't know if I actually bought through his link. I hope so.

Ordered a G-Boy for my Birthday in a week! I was Just wondering when the pre-order will be done/when shipped? Thanks!

Noah

retired
Portables
Ordered a G-Boy for my Birthday in a week! I was Just wondering when the pre-order will be done/when shipped? Thanks!
Mostly it depends on when you placed the order. We're working with our last supplier right now so that we can give an accurate shipping timeline for everyone who has placed an order so far. If you just placed it recently it could be 4-8 weeks but it's too early to tell.

Ceirt

I will pay someone to build me one of these bad boys..I'm desperate...
i think this is diy kit is kinda a lego , 50% of the fun is the process of doing it yourself. Give yourself a chance to do it , 2 years ago I didn’t know how to use a Soldering iron, now i think i wont burn anything on the process xD

and well.... depending where are you from, shipping one of these wii will be serious problem (lithium batteries)

PD: try the market place , if you want to commission someone.

i think this is diy kit is kinda a lego , 50% of the fun is the process of doing it yourself. Give yourself a chance to do it , 2 years ago I didn’t know how to use a Soldering iron, now i think i wont burn anything on the process xD

and well.... depending where are you from, shipping one of these wii will be serious problem (lithium batteries)

PD: try the market place , if you want to commission someone.
Thank you! I talked to Gman and he recommended building it myself as well. So i figured what the heck ill give it a try! I already ordered the batteries no issue where Im at so thank you again!

Ceirt

Trimming Service 2: Electric Boogaloo

With the intent of continuing where ShockSlayer left off, lets get some more trims (and portables) into people's hands!​

Once you've figured out what all you want, shoot me a PM and we'll go from there. First come, first serve, but I shouldn't run out for a while. Payments will be through Paypal, shipping through USPS will be ~8$ in the US. If you're outside the US, let me know so I can give you a shipping estimate.

Trims:
Standard OMGWTF: 75$
G-Boy OMGWTF: 75$

Currently, I am offering the OMGWTF trim, however I am looking into offering alternative trims in the future. OMGWTF boards will have PM with NoWifi preinstalled, U10 relocation, Bluetooth relocation, and magnet wire presoldered and labeled for USB and audio/video (either component or composite).

The G-Wii OMGWTF is essentially the same trim as a standard OMGWTF, but it keeps the 4th screw hole around the CPU/GPU and cuts slightly closer to the NAND lines

Additional options:
Shortened Heatsink: 15$
MX Chip: 10$
Controller Ports: 10$
VGA Patches/Wiring: 10$

Shortened heatsink: the stock heatsink from the Wii cut down to a more manageable size (optionally with stock fan which runs on 2.5-5v)
View attachment 9466

MX chip: rewired MX and labeled wires for RTC battery

Controller ports: gamecube controller ports with labeled wires for power, ground, and data (optionally with data pins wired to the trim)

VGA: patches installed and labeled wires soldered onto the AVE

If you have any questions, concerns, or special requests, feel free to let me know!

In my case i didn't have a wii to trim (or a dremel) so.. i asked Cheese to trim one for me , so far he have been great with me.

Just read through the entire guide, very detailed and I like how you take things one at a time for testing. should help a bunch. Can't wait till my unit comes so I can roll up my sleeves and get to work!

*EDIT* Also, for those that have a 12" macbook with a genuine USB-C AC/DC power adapter, looks like we can use it as an alternative to the recommended Anker power brick.

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
Also, for those that have a macbook with a genuine USB-C AC/DC power adapter, looks like we can use it as an alternative to the recommended Anker power brick.
Yeah you can, I've used my iPad Pro charger on my G-Boys for a while. Works great!

I'm incredibly excited to get started on this project, thank you guys for making portabilizing so accessible :D

Once I'm done with this one, I'm hoping to graduate to designing my own systems. The G-boy kit was exactly what I needed to help get started!