Discussion G-Boy Rev III - DIY Portable Kit

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
this looks like a real labour of love! well done to all involved.

2 quick questions please.
1- does it ship to uk? and how long might that take?
2- is it possible to improve the standard of the finish on the case when ive received it (eg fine sanding). i know little about the achievable quality in 3d printing admittedly, and perhaps have an unrealistic expectation based on injection molding.
1. Yes we ship USPS international. Not sure, I would guess not very quickly.
2. It is possible to sand it with fine sandpaper but I prefer the textured bed look, it is like glittery.

1. Yes we ship USPS international. Not sure, I would guess not very quickly.
2. It is possible to sand it with fine sandpaper but I prefer the textured bed look, it is like glittery.
cheers for quick reply. I like the texture too, it was more the step effect on the speaker declines that i was thinking off.

new to the forums here. I was wondering how necessary a hot air station is for the gboy kit.

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
It’s not necessary, but it would make your life a whole lot easier for things like u10 relocation.

Ceirt

Hi there,

while i wait to find a freight forwarding company (USPS suspended shippings to Chile :/) , i'm looking into the other parts and found out a local seller with some panasonic ncr18650b batteries, is there a way to know if they are fake or not?

Hey, I've recently gotten into the idea of console modding, and the G-Boy will be the first portable I make! I'm just curious about the guide. Will it have a section dedicated to any preparations needed for the stock Wii before cutting? Such as a link to a guide to instal PortablizeMii or the gc2wiimote?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hey, I've recently gotten into the idea of console modding, and the G-Boy will be the first portable I make! I'm just curious about the guide. Will it have a section dedicated to any preparations needed for the stock Wii before cutting? Such as a link to a guide to instal PortablizeMii or the gc2wiimote?
Yes it will cover everything

Noah

retired
Portables
Looks fantastic! Really digging the clean and simple graphic design. Question, Is there going to be a problem diagnostics chart or is that something where the forum comes into play? IE, if problem with X, check Y. Including proper electrical output ratings?
Yes. The troubleshooting list included will cover all basic issues that we've come across ourselves when assembling G-Boys as well as questions that came up during the building of our many beta tester's kits. It should include quite a bit of things that you can try, but there is also a G-Boy discord that all buyers of the kit will have access to where you're able to ask us questions directly (as well as people who have assembled their own already)

Perfect! Yeah, I was on the live stream and saw that their seemed to be some common things to check if something wasnt working. Thanks, Noah!

Noah

retired
Portables
Perfect! Yeah, I was on the live stream and saw that their seemed to be some common things to check if something wasnt working. Thanks, Noah!
No problem! The guide is right around the corner so I can't wait for you to be able to check it out and let us know what you think!

Morde

Looks absolutely amazing! Really love the look of this portable and am very invested on the idea of buying but I've been holding back because of 2 questions I want to ask:

1. Do you guys have a set idea on when this will release? I know it says pre-order on the product page so just wondering how long it will take until the kit's in my hands.
2. As I'm in UK I know shipping time will take a while but I also wanted to ask whether I'd have to pay any additional charges for shipping such as import tax, as I know it can get very expensive sometimes.

Can't wait to get this in my hands, as quarantine ain't going anywhere anytime soon haha.

lol

Can I just buy a wii motherboard instead of getting a wii console and disassembling it?

Noah

retired
Portables
Can I just buy a wii motherboard instead of getting a wii console and disassembling it?
Users such as @cheese offer a trimming service where you can pay and he’ll trim a board as well as pre-wire some stuff for you. However having a trimmed board doesn’t help if you don’t have the soldering experience to use it, so just keep that in mind!

Ceirt

Hi there, i just want to ask something about the L/R buttons.
1) the G-boy uses digital buttons for the L/R?
2) If 1) is yes, is there some softmod patch or something for games like mario sunshine or smash?

Thanks for everything (and sorry if this is not the correct thread for the question)

Hi there, i just want to ask something about the L/R buttons.
1) the G-boy uses digital buttons for the L/R?
2) If 1) is yes, is there some softmod patch or something for games like mario sunshine or smash?

Thanks for everything (and sorry if this is not the correct thread for the question)
Dual tact switches are used in the kit