Discussion G-Boy Rev III - DIY Portable Kit

Right off the bat I'm already pushing my luck but I have a couple of questions. :rothink: Will the guide include an alternative for people that still want to include bar sensor capabilities. Would there be anyway for me to cast the G-boy screen on a tv? Money is tight from the recession at the moment, do you see the g-boy having restocks if it sold out?

I hope this is the right place for this question. I'm buying the necessary tools mentioned in the description of the G-Boy in the Bitbuilt Store. Now I was wondering, could I get away with buying just the Atten AT8586 rework station? Instead of buying Hakko FX-888D/Weller WE1010 AND an Atten 858D?

Excited to get my G-Boy!!!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I hope this is the right place for this question. I'm buying the necessary tools mentioned in the description of the G-Boy in the Bitbuilt Store. Now I was wondering, could I get away with buying just the Atten AT8586 rework station? Instead of buying Hakko FX-888D/Weller WE1010 AND an Atten 858D?

Excited to get my G-Boy!!!
My opinion is that the cheap dual stations dont do either purpose very well. You're much better off getting the cheap hot air separate.

lol

Could we just buy the motherboard instead of buying a wii and disassembling it?

Hey so I've been following shank on YouTube and I've finally decided to try my hand at this for my first mod. I expect trouble, but I'm excited nonetheless.

So I have this on pre-order and I'm going to be getting all the required tools in the coming months.

I have two main questions if anyone can help answer.

1) is there a guide that would help me on the software side of things? Again I'm a complete newcomer in modding so any tips are appreciated.

2) about how long does this take to assemble? Hopefully I'll have quite a project if quarantine lasts through the summer lol.

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
There’s not very much software side besides installing Portablizemii. Because of the G-Boy kit’s streamlined design, the build time is relatively quick compared to other portables. I’d say it would take a week or two for a beginner to build one.

EDIT: There is a video on Bitbuilt‘s youtube channel about how to install Portablizemii

Last edited:

Zach

I ordered a G-boy kit already, now I’m wondering if it will work with a 6 layer wii board?

There’s not very much, software side besides installing Portablizemii. Because of the G-Boy kit’s streamlined design, the build time is relatively quick compared to other portables. I’d say it would take a week or two for a beginner to build one.

EDIT: There is a video on Bitbuilt‘s youtube channel about how to install Portablizemii
Thanks so much.
I can't wait to get started on this!!

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
I ordered a G-boy kit already, now I’m wondering if it will work with a 6 layer wii board?
Nope, you should get a 4 layer board for this build, no questions. The G-Boy only has two cells and the 6 layer draws a considerable more amount of power than a 4 layer.

Stich

Do any of you have the wiring diagram if not where can I find it and when will the g boy package come

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
There’s no wiring diagram. If you look through pictures in worklogs and go through the wii guide hub you should be able to figure out what to wire where. Plus, the G-Boy has the minimal amount of wiring since most is done through custom pcbs.

Noah

retired
Portables
Hi guys,

Just wanted to give you all a sneak peek of the guide. Everything is almost ready, but I don't want to publish it until we've had a number of beta testers for the kit give everything a read over and we get early feedback. It should be live sometime this week or next week though! But, until then, here are these images to hopefully give you an idea of what is coming!

G-BOY-STEP_SHLDR_ASSEMBLY.png

G-BOY-STEP_USB-C.png

G-BOY-STEP_PWR_MNT.png

This is only a very small selection of what's in the guide! Some steps have short videos that cover the step if an image is not enough. As previously stated, it will be up within a couple of weeks time.

We will also have a shipping table live alongside the guide around the start of May. This will give you an idea of when you can expect your G-Boy kit to ship! We'll of course make posts here as well as our social media accounts when everything is posted.

Feel free to keep asking questions here!

Looks fantastic! Really digging the clean and simple graphic design. Question, Is there going to be a problem diagnostics chart or is that something where the forum comes into play? IE, if problem with X, check Y. Including proper electrical output ratings?

this looks like a real labour of love! well done to all involved.

2 quick questions please.
1- does it ship to uk? and how long might that take?
2- is it possible to improve the standard of the finish on the case when ive received it (eg fine sanding). i know little about the achievable quality in 3d printing admittedly, and perhaps have an unrealistic expectation based on injection molding.