Worklog Could someone take a look at my parts list?

Ad long as you already own a Wii, the correct wires, a GC controller, a USB drive, and some squishy tact switches you should be good. Also a battery if you plan on doing the MX chip relocation.

you'll need a usb drive I'd recommend using the FCR-MRG2 micro sd card adapter with a samsung evo micro sd card or a samsung fit 1.0 drive (2.0 apparently doese'nt work well) but that's out of stock most places. Also I don't think muriatic acid is usefull unless theres something i don't know.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I finally finished the parts list for my Wii portable, the Shrink Mii, and I’d like to make sure that everything is in order before I buy everything and start working. If someone could look at it and confirm that it’s all good, that’d be great.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AmaALa0s8gZanlzL5dPSbFwH4nRm?e=ujlWaq
My concerns:
  1. That headphone jack won't work. You need one with a normally closed sense pin to ground, like this one. @Gman can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the right one.
  2. What you need those SPDT switches for? They don't carry must current and the PMS can work with a regular momentary tact switch.
  3. That axial fan you've picked won't work unless you're using two of those heatsinks you've picked, one for the CPU and one for the GPU. If you're going for a G-Wii type cooling system, you'll want a blower fan like this one that can act as a heatsink for the CPU and simultaniously blow air onto the GPU's heatsinksink.
  4. Those joysticks you've picked have no PCB, you'd be better off using replacement Switch joycon sticks with a 0.5mm pitch 5 pin FFC connector (the joycon stick's traces are carbon and can't be soldered to, so you need an FFC connector to solder wire to)
  5. That copper you've chosen is just a raw two layer PCB with no vias or etching and is not suitable for heat transference like a real copper sheet is, so I'm hoping you weren't planning to use that with the heatsinks. I'm assuming by the acid accompanying it that you're going to try some DIY etching. I wouldn't if you can avoid it, there are some good resources and free software to design proper custom PCBs and get them made through OSHPark.
Aside from that the list is good I think.

My concerns: That headphone jack won't work. You need one with a normally closed sense pin to ground, like this one.
I’ll update the list with this.

Edit: I just looked at the jack, and you have to buy at least 1000. Needless to say, I neither can nor will buy 1000 headphone jacks. Got any other jacks I could use?

What you need those SPDT switches for? They don't carry must current and the PMS can work with a regular momentary tact switch.
Honestly, I don’t remember what these where for, but you’re right, I don’t need them. Thanks for pointing that out.

That axial fan you've picked won't work unless you're using two of those heatsinks you've picked, one for the CPU and one for the GPU. If you're going for a G-Wii type cooling system, you'll want a blower fan like this one that can act as a heatsink for the CPU and simultaniously blow air onto the GPU's heatsinksink.
Yeah... I wasn’t really sure what to look for in this regard, so thanks.

Those joysticks you've picked have no PCB, you'd be better off using replacement Switch joycon sticks with a 0.5mm pitch 5 pin FFC connector (the joycon stick's traces are carbon and can't be soldered to, so you need an FFC connector to solder wire to)
That makes sense, and fortunately, while I was doing research, I came across some Switch joysticks for sale. Will I still be able to attach the joystick caps I found, or will i have to find different ones? I’d really like to go for that classic GameCube feel for the joysticks. Also, am I able to use a 6-pin fcc connector for the joysticks?

That copper you've chosen is just a raw two layer PCB with no vias or etching and is not suitable for heat transference like a real copper sheet is, so I'm hoping you weren't planning to use that with the heatsinks. I'm assuming by the acid accompanying it that you're going to try some DIY etching. I wouldn't if you can avoid it, there are some good resources and free software to design proper custom PCBs and get them made through OSHPark.
Aside from that the list is good I think.
I was going to use the copper to make some very simple circuit boards for holding the buttons. I figured I’d have fun making PCBs unrelated to the portable, so I thought I might as well go ahead and buy the stuff for it.

I’ll definitely edit the list to take into account your suggestions.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I’ll update the list with this.

Honestly, I don’t remember what these where for, but you’re right, I don’t need them. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah... I wasn’t really sure what to look for in this regard, so thanks.

That makes sense, and fortunately, while I was doing research, I came across some Switch joysticks for sale. Will I still be able to attach the joystick caps I found, or will i have to find different ones? I’d really like to go for that classic GameCube feel for the joysticks.

I was going to use the copper to make some very simple circuit boards for holding the buttons. I figured I’d have fun making PCBs unrelated to the portable, so I thought I might as well go ahead and buy the stuff for it.

I’ll definitely edit the list to take into account your suggestions.
You can certainly try DIY etching if you're interested in it, just be careful and make sure you have good ventilation. As for the sticks, Madmorda just recently successfully cast some replacement resin Switch sticks. She takes casting comissions, so maybe shoot her a message and ask about possibly buying some custom grey and yellow coloured sticks.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You can certainly try DIY etching if you're interested in it, just be careful and make sure you have good ventilation. As for the sticks, Madmorda just recently successfully cast some replacement resin Switch sticks. She takes casting comissions, so maybe shoot her a message and ask about possibly buying some custom grey and yellow coloured sticks.
Resin casting GCC themed ones is overkill, this method works and feels very nice:

Will this connector work for the Nintendo Switch joysticks? Also, since, as I mentioned before, I can’t buy that headphone jack, will this one or this one work? And thanks for the suggestions on modding the joysticks.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Will this connector work for the Nintendo Switch joysticks? Also, since, as I mentioned before, I can’t buy that headphone jack, will this one or this one work? And thanks for the suggestions on modding the joysticks.
Nah that's a 1mm pitch connector, you need a 0.5mm pitch one for joycon sticks. One like this will do.
The SJ-3524-SMT-TR jack (first link) will do, yes.