Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

Hello Aurelio, You did an amazing job, regards from Ukraine! I am wanted to get native VGA with non trimmed wii. I have softmoded wii with hombrew launcher and USB loader to run WII games from HDD. I got what I should do with hardware part, but the rest is not clear because of You mod is for PortablizeMii. Could You please tell how to install vga software mod in this case?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hello Aurelio, You did an amazing job, regards from Ukraine! I am wanted to get native VGA with non trimmed wii. I have softmoded wii with hombrew launcher and USB loader to run WII games from HDD. I got what I should do with hardware part, but the rest is not clear because of You mod is for PortablizeMii. Could You please tell how to install vga software mod in this case?
The hack works only with portablizemii, since it relies on modified builds of priiloader, postloader and neek2o.

I need to do more portabalizmii research, I'm wondering how well it works for a unmodified hardware. I really would rather use the standard wii menu.

Noah

retired
Portables
I need to do more portabalizmii research, I'm wondering how well it works for a unmodified hardware. I really would rather use the standard wii menu.
it's better than the Wii menu. you can load anything without having to boot into the HBC first (meaning no Wii remote required.) I use it on a stock Wii and it works fine.

it's better than the Wii menu. you can load anything without having to boot into the HBC first (meaning no Wii remote required.) I use it on a stock Wii and it works fine.
How it works with external HDD? Do I need to install USB loader or its not needed? I will also try to use portabalizmii on unmodified WII just for native VGA, I have ordered one more console for this tests.

Noah

retired
Portables
How it works with external HDD? Do I need to install USB loader or its not needed? I will also try to use portabalizmii on unmodified WII just for native VGA, I have ordered one more console for this tests.
Hard drives are hit or miss so you'll need to test it yourself or see if someone has found an adapter that's confirmed to work. Loading games is part of the pack, which I think should be covered in the documentation. Everything you need for GC/Wii games is included.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've started some of the early steps in building a portable wii. I'd like to test as much as possible before doing something irreversible, like trimming. I was going to install the VGA mod and do the U10 relocation. I've already installed portabilize mii. I ordered a component cable to switch the wii into 480p mode before installing the VGA mod.
Using the component cable and AV mode (composite) on the TV I can get the picture to appear in black and white. When I switch to 480p mode in the wii menu, I get duplicate screens side by side in AV mode. WHen I switch over to component mode on the TV, its black with no signal...
So now the troubleshooting... Here's what I've figured out so far...

I was able to test the cables on a Wii U and they seemed to work fine.

With the component cable installed I can go to 480p mode where with the composite cables that option was grayed out. so the wii appears to recognize to some degree that the component cables are installed.

I've tried hooking it up to two different TVs. I don't get a picture in component mode on either of them.

Based on what I've read, if the VGA mod is installed, component cables stop working...
So does Portibilize Mii come with the VGA mod installed?
Or is this a sign that there is something wrong with my wii?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Or is this a sign that there is something wrong with my wii?
That, yes. If you didn't install the VGA patch, that shouldn't be happening. Have you tried redownloading PM, deleting your existing USB files, and copying the newly downloaded files to your USB? It's kinda a "try turning it off and on again" thing, but it's the first real troubleshooting step. Do that and report back and we can go from there.

I pulled the USB drive and copied the fresh PM files onto it overwriting the old ones. I did not see any change in behavior when I put it back into the wii and started it up.
I went ahead and did a wii system memory format to take PM completely out of the picture. First thing I did after setting up the wii was change the resolution. Still got a black screen when switching to component mode.

I'm starting to think that there is an issue with the wii hardware that is preventing it from outputting component. Perhaps a problem with the AVE chip?

Any further ideas would be appreciated. Othewise, I'll be ordering another wii.

Kadano

Using the component cable and AV mode (composite) on the TV I can get the picture to appear in black and white. When I switch to 480p mode in the wii menu, I get duplicate screens side by side in AV mode. WHen I switch over to component mode on the TV, its black with no signal...
So now the troubleshooting... Here's what I've figured out so far...

I was able to test the cables on a Wii U and they seemed to work fine.
It sounds like your TV has combined CVBS / YPbPr sockets. On some capture cards, these are strangely combined in the way that the composite video plug inserts into the Pb socket, not into the Y socket. If it's implemented like this on your TV, it would cause exactly this issue that you are having if you are not re-plugging the cables after switching from one input mode to the other.

Then again, I assume that when you tested the cables on your Wii U, you did make sure to plug them in in the way that the TV expects them, so I think it's quite unlikely that you only forgot to replug them currently when using the Wii. But still, stupid mistakes just happen sometimes, and from your description, it really does sound like more of a TV cable wiring issue than a Wii video output issue. You have confirmed that the Wii is indeed outputting 480p over YPbPr, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the double frame picture on your TV when having it set to interpret it as CVBS. So I really doubt that your AVE chip is to blame.

On another note, I personally don't solder the mode pin to 3.3v directly, but both of these to a switch, so full YPbPr and CVBS output is retained alongside VGA, even with Priiloader VGA installed. Might be helpful for troubleshooting and testing VGA output while you keep your mainboard still fully intact with the Multi AV output plug and everything.

For CVBS: Set the switch to off and boot the Wii with either composite cables or no cables connected
For YPbPr: Set the switch to off and boot the Wii without cables, connect the component cables after 10 seconds of startup or so.
For VGA: Set the switch to on

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
For YPbPr: Set the switch to off and boot the Wii without cables, connect the component cables after 10 seconds after startup or so.
That's really cool. Very clever. I wonder though, would 480p still function through this, or is it restricted to 480i since that was what it was forced to start in?

If you cut the trace running to the cable sense line, you wouldn't have to physicaly unplug the component cables: just flip the switch after a few seconds.

It could be taken a step further with a 3 way switch, with pulling low, pulling high, and delayed pull high. This would be extremely easy to implement in a microcontroller.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I pulled the USB drive and copied the fresh PM files onto it overwriting the old ones. I did not see any change in behavior when I put it back into the wii and started it up.
I went ahead and did a wii system memory format to take PM completely out of the picture. First thing I did after setting up the wii was change the resolution. Still got a black screen when switching to component mode.

I'm starting to think that there is an issue with the wii hardware that is preventing it from outputting component. Perhaps a problem with the AVE chip?

Any further ideas would be appreciated. Othewise, I'll be ordering another wii.
That's really cool. Very clever. I wonder though, would 480p still function through this, or is it restricted to 480i since that was what it was forced to start in?

If you cut the trace running to the cable sense line, you wouldn't have to physicaly unplug the component cables: just flip the switch after a few seconds.

It could be taken a step further with a 3 way switch, with pulling low, pulling high, and delayed pull high. This would be extremely easy to implement in a microcontroller.
It will work in 480p

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Ciao a tutti
Ho un errore di installazione di vga priiloader, come posso risolverlo?
Grazie

scusa per il cattivo inglese.
"English".
It wasn't able to delete the settings and password file, probably because they weren't there, but the installation went fine

Dango

I went through the steps and when I tried to select PostLoader it just went to a black screen. I think I did the rest of the steps correctly, what can I do to fix this?

No need to start the emunand. Just copy over to it the SYSCONF file. From postloader go to the channel menu, press home/start and select the option to copy SYSCONF from the real NAND.

Sorry Aurelio, I come after suffering a lot with my situation ...

I applied the VGA patches, they worked very well, except for Wii games,
they appear an unsupported message to me.
I have the impression that emunand is not set to 480p.
so I try to access it with a composite video cable but I can't set it to 480p because I have the composite video cable, and when I go into vga mode it shows the same message on the "unsupported" screen.
I noticed that you taught to access the "postloader" and copy the file "SYSCONF". but the postloader doesn't open for me, it just pops up the portabilizemii boot screen and then returns to the home screen ...
already changed the flash drive and rewritten the portabilizemii again, nothing more ... = '(

can you help me??

Try installing again the VGA postloader from priiloader

when you say install again, you mean, download the vga patch again and replace the archinos again on the flash drive running priiloader ??

Edit:
I downloaded the vga patch again, copied it to the flash drive and did the whole procedure again, I held the reset button, went to the "load / install" option and had the postloader installed again. Still when trying to open the postloader from portabilizemii, it simply restarts ... unfortunately ..

Edit:
I loaded the emu-nand with composite video, went into the screen settings, plugged the wii "Y" pin into the composite input of my screen, and turned the "mode" pin to "3.3v" with the card on (I know that's wrong) but it worked! I was able to select 480p from emu-nand and wii games now work! but I still need to run the post loader because I want to use your GC2Wiimote hack ... I still need to copy the file "SYSCONF" to emu-nand ... Is there another way if not for the post-loader?
Thanks!!!

Last edited: