Portablizing BOM

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Not sure about which controllers are considered too mushy and which ones not, but we call them squishy tacts because 99.99% of all the tact switches out there have a hard, clacky feel. The orange tact switches feel pretty similar to the actuation of GCC buttons, but it's not an identical feel. Still, the orange tact switches feel good, are easy to implement, and are fairly cheap. The reason we identify them as the orange ones is because there are also grey ones out there, but the grey ones don't feel as good.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I noticed that all of the 4:3 screens seem to have dead links.
The good 4:3 screens are all Dalian brand/imitations. If you search for "Dalian" or "Dalian Good Display" on ebay/taobao/aliexpress you can still find some. Not in all sizes, though, some models like the 3.5" VGA Dalian screen are super rare now. I was lucky to find one listing with one left last year.

why is this regulator not a commonly advised option? the only variance I see is it being through-hole (just cut the posts lol) and its 0.50USD cheaper per unit.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/PTH08080WAH/296-20432-ND/724048

edit: just saw post about BOM being relatively dated. Well this is a component to consider, its slightly cheaper and smaller component (.8mm less tall, I know that's not much) and same characteristics (same Vi and Vo ranges, Ao is 2.25A, etc..)

I'm planning on using this screen for my n64 build coming up soon, it's a 8" 4:3 ips with speakers and most importantly can be powered over 5v via usb. inputs: composite,vga and hdmi. I'll be sure to post photos of how it looks soon, if it looks good it may be worth adding to the bom as well!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07216T9KG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1UYJA9LD7FIS5&psc=1
you may as well use a cheaper 8" screen, most can run on 5v if you bypass the DC-DC stepdown converters from 12v->5v, some can even do 3.3v. N64 cant display 1080p anyways so you'll be paying for an unused feature in this guy when you can cut the cost down 75% for 480p output

you may as well use a cheaper 8" screen, most can run on 5v if you bypass the DC-DC stepdown converters from 12v->5v, some can even do 3.3v. N64 cant display 1080p anyways so you'll be paying for an unused feature in this guy when you can cut the cost down 75% for 480p output
The next cheapest 4:3 monitor that I have seen that is at least 5" or bigger is the ZJ050NA-08C with the driver board for $62 cad, it doesn't have speakers and requires modification in order to run off 5v. It's completely possible, however for the extra $28 I get one day shipping, amazon return policy, built in 5v support and speakers. I completely understand where you're coming from, however I'm willing to pay the little bit extra for the convenience.

Jonny

The next cheapest 4:3 monitor that I have seen that is at least 5" or bigger is the ZJ050NA-08C with the driver board for $62 cad, it doesn't have speakers and requires modification in order to run off 5v. It's completely possible, however for the extra $28 I get one day shipping, amazon return policy, built in 5v support and speakers. I completely understand where you're coming from, however I'm willing to pay the little bit extra for the convenience.
Amazon return policy isn't good for much if you plan on taking it apart to fit it into a portable.
I can vouch for the zj050NA-08c, its a really crisp screen and its a good size for a portable.(and is super easy to 5v mod) Be careful ordering an 8 inch screen for a handheld, because its probably bigger than you think.
And don't buy a screen because it comes with speakers. Its ridiculously simple and cheap to wire up a PAM8803 and a few speakers. If anything, the driver board will have to be bigger to accommodate the audio amp, which takes away room for other things in your portable.

fair enough :) just making sure you dont over pay. but if you're happy with that pricepoint then go for it. itll look nice!

Hi I'm very new to all of this. I was just scrolling through YouTube till I found Shank Mods pop up with his and Gman's "WiiVision". I've been scrolling through a lot of the threads here on Bitbuilt. I've been inspired by many of you to try building my own wii portable and I'm looking for everything I will need in order to find out how much I will need to spend before I start. I found the 4.3 inch raspberry pi lcd screen which comes with two speakers. Here is the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-inch-T...r-Board-Speaker-For-Raspberry-Pi/382989467417

Are the speakers it comes with good enough as well as the lcd screen itself?

Thank you!

Timo43

Hi I'm very new to all of this. I was just scrolling through YouTube till I found Shank Mods pop up with his and Gman's "WiiVision". I've been scrolling through a lot of the threads here on Bitbuilt. I've been inspired by many of you to try building my own wii portable and I'm looking for everything I will need in order to find out how much I will need to spend before I start. I found the 4.3 inch raspberry pi lcd screen which comes with two speakers. Here is the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-inch-T...r-Board-Speaker-For-Raspberry-Pi/382989467417

Are the speakers it comes with good enough as well as the lcd screen itself?

Thank you!
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure that screen won’t work. It only has an hdmi port which isn’t a native output of the wii. You could use an adapter but those are bulky and it would be cheaper and less work to get a screen with composite or vga input as opposed to hdmi. If you really want to use this screen you could take apart an adapter and shorten the wires and could probably slim it some, but once again, that would be a lot of work. Hope this helps!

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Technically you can use that, but a composite or component screen would work better since you wouldn't need a wii2hdmi or similar converter. Would suggest something else, perhaps a eyoyo or some composite backup screen off amazon or ebay

Hi, guys, one question about boards for charge and play.

Which board is recommenden for charge and play (Gman PSM is unaffordable for me) ?

I am looking for a board that allow me hot plug DC jack without the console reboots. This happened to me when I make a Game Boy Zero years ago.