Worklog Building my first Wii portable

Fzero

So I've been a long time fan of console modding, but I've never really had the motivation or the skills to build a portable. I've been doing lots of research lately, and I've finally decided to take a shot at building one. I'm definitely a newbie at this, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions of sorts. I've been gathering materials and here is what I have so far:
  • 4-layer wii
  • Polycase zn-45
  • Kingston micro sd card reader + sd card
  • Squishy tacts
  • on-off switch
  • soldering iron
  • flux
  • magnet wire
  • 22awg wire
  • rotary tool
  • 3ds joysticks
  • 18650 batteries
  • Heatsink
  • USB port
  • 3ds joysticks
  • Multimeter
However, there are some parts I have not bought yet mostly because I have a few questions regarding them
  • GC+ controller board - currently out of stock
  • Wii PMS
  • Screen - What are some good screens you guys recommend? I checked Gman's BOM but most of the screen links don't work anymore. I don't think I am going to do the vga mod, though, since it doesn't look very beginner friendly, so I'm fine if the screens you recommend are not vga compatible.
  • D-pad - So I understand how tactile switches/3ds joysticks are supposed to be wired to the controller board, but not the dpad. Are you supposed to put a dpad on top of the tactile switches, or get a dpad that can be directly wired to the controller board?
  • Cooling fan - looking for a good fan, what are some options? Also, is a fan necessary if you have heatsinks?
  • Sound system - I'm not quite sure if I want to add this yet since I haven't found much documentation for sound on bitbuilt and on my gameboy zero project I ended up giving up on getting sound to work because it was such a headache to figure out. Also, I generally play games without sound anyways.
If there is anything I overlooked, let me know, as I'm sure I missed something.

This is great but I have a problem>I was moving computers and accidentally didn't copy over the USB info that the Wii needs to run in portablizemii so it got deleted and I already trimmed the Wii so I don't have the mac address.Is it possible to re-download portablizemii USB files without mac address?(sorry for all the posts I panicked)

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
This is great but I have a problem>I was moving computers and accidentally didn't copy over the USB info that the Wii needs to run in portablizemii so it got deleted and I already trimmed the Wii so I don't have the mac address.Is it possible to re-download portablizemii USB files without mac address?
Yep, just re-download with any Mac address and the USB files will work fine.