Question Getting started with EAGLE

'Sup memers.

I was wondering if anyone had good resources for getting started with EAGLE that they could direct me towards. I've done a lot of CAD with Solidworks and Autodesk, so the ecosystem isn't too foreign to me.

Thanks for anything you've got.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I cant help you with that however you could learn KiCAD

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I compiled a bunch of good tutorials by Sparkfun that I found very useful for learning the basics of Eagle. Some of it might be a bit outdated though, as Eagle's UI has changed a bit in the last couple years. Overall though, the information should still be accurate.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Gman, with the utmost respect for you and your choice of inferior software, I need the Fusion360 integration.
KiCAD is definitely not inferior. When talking about free PCB design software, both Eagle and KiCAD are both contenders (which both have their own drawbacks, I could go on and on about EAGLE "quirks"). As for F360 integration, you can still export 3d models with KiCAD, it just takes slightly more effort than using the Autodesk link.

Shank

Staff member
Portables

BocuD

Portables
I have to agree with Grebbles on this one lol
The schematic/pcb linking stuff just seems so primitive compared to eagle.. Then theres the fusion integration, and eagle has the package generator now as well which is quite neat. I wouldn't call it inferior when looking at just the pcb design part of it, but i definetly would when you take the entire "workflow" into consideration.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I have to agree with Grebbles on this one lol
The schematic/pcb linking stuff just seems so primitive compared to eagle.. Then theres the fusion integration, and eagle has the package generator now as well which is quite neat. I wouldn't call it inferior when looking at just the pcb design part of it, but i definetly would when you take the entire "workflow" into consideration.
So designing pcbs with missing traces and or shorted part of the EAGLE "workflow"

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
So designing pcbs with missing traces and or shorted part of the EAGLE "workflow"
I have honestly never had either of those issues. Imo both eagle and kicad have their pros and cons, for simple PCBs both are good. It all comes down to preferences

Herma

With all this talk of EDA software I can't help but peg in and say everyone should just join the Altium master race. Though it is a bit (really freaking) expensive. But dat smooth workflow. And iirc there's pretty good Solidworks integration.

Regarding EAGLE, I personally didn't find it helpful (or even that good), but at my university they had a 14 minute tutorial video for senior design.
https://courses.grainger.illinois.edu/ece445/lectures/Video/EagleCADVideoLecture.mp4
You can ignore the comments on the requirements of the ECE shop about trace widths/etc.