Solved PS2 AC-DC Adapter as a 18650 charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arceus

Hello everyone. I was researching and I wanted you to give me your opinion. I have four 18650 (3.7v, 2200 mAh, each one) and I would like to make a 2S 2P battery pack. (7.4V - 4400 mAh)

It would be possible in some way to charge these batteries with the PS2 AC-DC adapter that grants 8.5V, or the 900xx series psu that grants 7.4v, supplanting a smart charger?

Every two batteries with their corresponding BMS of 2S.

Thanks.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hello everyone. I was researching and I wanted you to give me your opinion. I have four 18650 (3.7v, 2200 mAh, each one) and I would like to make a 2S 2P battery pack. (7.4V - 4400 mAh)

It would be possible in some way to charge these batteries with the PS2 AC-DC adapter that grants 8.5V, or the 900xx series psu that grants 7.4v, supplanting a smart charger?

Every two batteries with their corresponding BMS of 2S.

Thanks.
No.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
To charge a li-ion battery (or a battery pack) you can't just apply constant voltage to it. You need to use properly controlled constant current followed by a constant voltage profile

Arceus

As I have experimented well, I was able to charge the 18650 7,4V battery pack with the PS2 transformer, and the BMS simply cut the input current while the output current remained intact. Batteries at this point maintain the charge normally, and there appear to be no signs of immediate deterioration in it. I am doubting if the smart charger is really necessary...

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
As I have experimented well, I was able to charge the 18650 7,4V battery pack with the PS2 transformer, and the BMS simply cut the input current while the output current remained intact. Batteries at this point maintain the charge normally, and there appear to be no signs of immediate deterioration in it. I am doubting if the smart charger is really necessary...
Dang, Mumble sure reincarnated quickly.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Dude. Mumble is one of our members who had li-ion exploding on him because he didn't charge them properly.
You are applying a constant voltage. The BMS current limit is a safety feature to prevent shorts, so the maximum current limit is usually higher than the recommended maximum charging current.
You'll blow them up and you'll get hurt. You have been warned, you're on your own now.

Arceus

You'll blow them up and you'll get hurt. You have been warned, you're on your own now.
As you say, I can't access a smart charger because of shipping issues. I think I will switch to an external 18650 charger ... Thank you all for your help, I should have looked like an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.