Discussion Non portable WII with HDD and VGA mod set up

Hello gentlemans. I want to get native VGA mod for wii. VGA hack works with PortablizeMii only I should install PM. All other features of PM is not really needed, its should just run games from external HDD.
I have some research how to use HDD with PM and seems like its pain in the ass. I try different ways and still searching best way. So need advice from You)

For now I have working 1Tb NTFS HDD with USB launcher GX. I made PM mod, then I changed with D2X cIOSes like for regular softmod. Wii with SD card and with external HDD boot up, it shows empty menu because Wii don't have USB drive files, but I can run USB launcher and WII games from HDD.

First question what problem I will get with tat setup? Maybe I should add some needed files from USB folder to SD?
Also I wonder will VGA hack with that setup?
Maybe there's more simple way to play PM moded WII with HDD

Shank

Staff member
Portables
The VGA patch is a modification to the IOSes used by PortablizeMii. D2x uses cIOS 248/249/250, depending on where you install it. The current VGA patch does not modify these IOSes.

The VGA patch is a modification to the IOSes used by PortablizeMii. D2x uses cIOS 248/249/250, depending on where you install it. The current VGA patch does not modify these IOSes.
Yes I change 249, 250 IOSes, so it seems like it can be solution for run HDD with PM.

Can someone tell me what files I should add to SD card to run properly PM with SD card only. USB slot can't be used because of it used by HDD. Maybe it needs change some options also?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yes I change 249, 250 IOSes, so it seems like it can be solution for run HDD with PM.

Can someone tell me what files I should add to SD card to run properly PM with SD card only. USB slot can't be used because of it used by HDD. Maybe it needs change some options also?
You can put the USB folder files on a SD card and PM will run mostly fine, but you won't be able to run Wii games or Virtual Console titles unless you install PM onto a USB drive. Gamecube and emulators will work, just no Wii games or VC. Which kind of defeats most of the point.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Not quite. No IOSes is modified. For wii games the patch act directly on neek, making it incompatible with d2x

Not quite. No IOSes is modified. For wii games the patch act directly on neek, making it incompatible with d2x
Yes its go wrong. I put VGA hack files on SD card and start priiloader. It show error 1017 - IOS36 isnt ES_identify patched.
Now I am thinking what if I reinstall cheese, make VGA hack, and after that try to use D2x?
Sorry if my qwestion are stupid, I am not familiar with software staff)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Yes its go wrong. I put VGA hack files on SD card and start priiloader. It show error 1017 - IOS36 isnt ES_identify patched.
Now I am thinking what if I reinstall cheese, make VGA hack, and after that try to use D2x?
Sorry if my qwestion are stupid, I am not familiar with software staff)
VGA hacks are applied on the fly by neek when launching a Wii game. If you use d2x it won't work.
Before installing the hack you need to have portablizemii already installed and working on your Wii.