Not open for further replies.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
THESE FILES ARE OLD BAD AND DUMB CLICK HERE TO SEE THE UPDATED FILES THAT YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY USE NOW

I've decided to go ahead and release the Louii's CAD files and a rough BOM for anyone who would like to build their own. I've included both the STLs and the Inventor .ipt files so that you can tweak the design if you would like.

Aside from a few tweaks to the internals, this case is identical to the Louii's except that I've removed the power button from the front of the portable and plan to use the button built into the C-stick as the power button. This is because I need a specific button for the power button, and mounting it properly is a pain. You can easily add that hole back if you'd like, the guides for it and everything are still a part of the model. I will update this thread if I make any changes to the models in the zip.

Here is the rough BOM for the build. As I have time I'll add helpful notes for the build, along with anything else I can think of.

Lastly, this is a somewhat challenging build. It doesn't require a more difficult Wii trim (though you do need to trim just a hair more off of the top and one side), but clean wire routing and planning is an absolute must for this build. Happy building!
20190624_194441.jpg
20190624_121831.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Notes:

The screen in the BOM is very easy to modify to run off of 3.3v. Simply remove all the components missing in this picture, and reconnect 3.3v to any of the points indicated in red. There is one last large conductor needed for the screen to function properly, but there is a convenient spot located just next to the PMS LED board for it to be relocated to.
screenvoltagemod.jpg

The shoulder buttons need to be put in place before the batteries. I use a bit of super glue on the tacts to hold them into place, and there are mounting holes in the top of the case for them to slide in to. Throughout the build process, be sure to occasionally check and make sure the shoulder buttons still move cleanly. I've had weird things flex the case slightly, and I had to re-screw the mount in place to get the trigger working normally again. If the trigger gets stuck, you may need to sand the edges of the case a bit for a cleaner fit, as well as loosen the screws ever so slightly. Once the triggers are good though, they're good and won't have issues once the portable is all closed up.

The Z button needs to go in before the screen mount does.

More notes coming soon.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was wondering if there was anything else (like some smaller components) not listed in the BOM. I'm a bit of a noob but have some basic electronic experience and want to make sure I get everything needed to build something very similar to @GingerOfOz 's louii. The only real change I want to make is to use 3ds sliders instead of joy-con sticks (just a personal preference).

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
I think the only major thing missing from the BOM is the audio amp because I don't have one that supports headphones, is easy to wire up, and can actually be bought from somewhere right now. Aside from that though, you would obviously need tools and materials like wire and glue, but as far as parts in the final build go, that should be a pretty complete list.

I think the only major thing missing from the BOM is the audio amp because I don't have one that supports headphones, is easy to wire up, and can actually be bought from somewhere right now. Aside from that though, you would obviously need tools and materials like wire and glue, but as far as parts in the final build go, that should be a pretty complete list.
Would you recommend using the PAM8803 amp for this build due to not being able to find @Aurelio 's amp for sale anywhere?
I was looking at this one but I'm not entirely sure what to get: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-2-3W-...ier-Board-3W-3W-AMP-For-AVR-PIC-/322462161348 , also do you have any recommendations for a LED board? Sorry about all the noob questions.

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
PAM8803 is a decent enough amp, the only downside is that it doesn't support headphones. For the LED board, you could just buy a through-hole LED and glue it in place, or you could order a custom board. I've got a couple extra LED boards that fit nicely in the Louii case, so if you want to buy one then I'd be willing to part with one of my extras for a few bucks.

PAM8803 is a decent enough amp, the only downside is that it doesn't support headphones. For the LED board, you could just buy a through-hole LED and glue it in place, or you could order a custom board. I've got a couple extra LED boards that fit nicely in the Louii case, so if you want to buy one then I'd be willing to part with one of my extras for a few bucks.
I would like to buy one of your LED boards, but for the amp I do need an amp that does support a headphone jack. Do you know any amps that do support a headphone jack?

Update on the amp: I’m looking at most likely using the LM49270-PIC but I’m not entirely sure.

Last edited:
Hey, ive never done anything with electronics but I want to build a portable that plays wii. I am wondering if this is a system in its self, like do I need to have a working wii to have games on here? Or can i just download ROMS for games?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but yes you will need a real Wii and yes you will need to put ROMs onto a USB drive

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Here is a new zip file with some updated parts. I went ahead and added the files I've been using on my commissions, which are mostly the same except for the usage of a single button dpad. The dpad used is one from 3rd party joycon shells, so if you do want a dpad you may be better off editing in a hole for the ds-lite or something similar.

I also went ahead and updated the BOM with a couple more links. Happy building!

Attachments

home

am very interested in trying to assemble one of these ! probably won't be able to start getting it together for a few weeks, but am ordering a wii motherboard off of ebay as we speak to hold myself to it

I mostly only have experience doing some parts replacement with nintendo handhelds so I hope to learn a lot !

Avery

I and plan to use the button built into the C-stick as the power button. This is because I need a specific button for the power button, and mounting it properly is a pain. You can easily add that hole back if you'd like, the guides for it and everything are still a part of the model. I will update this thread if I make any changes to the models in the zip.
I've never actually used the button built into the sticks, assuming you did this on your commissions, is it easy to implement or not? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.