Worklog First Wii Portable (unnamed so far)

Hi guys!

I've been lurking around the forums here the past month after seeing madmordas video "Worlds Smallest Gamcube". That video just popped up in my "suggested" tab on youtube and since then I've been obsessed with portabilizing. I've been reading all the guides I can find on here like: The definitive wii trimming guide, electronics videos 101 (cuz I'm a noob), a guide to custom regulators, etc.

From all my research I've made a rough draft of my first attempt to make a wii portable. I'm hoping to get started as soon as I'm let out of school for the summer holidays.

My idea is to create a portable with the following:

- An OMGWTF-trimmed board and the G-wii case made by Gman himself.

- Relocating bluetooth module (and maybe the mx-chip)

- Using the "Wii power management system", again, by Gman.

- Using a GC+ board and fitting gc controller ports on the sides of the G-Wii (might require resizing)

- x4 18650s in 1s4p configuration. (Haven't found a good sources to get the cells from yet).

- Headphone jack + internal speakers (Using a PAM8803 audio amplifier board)

- Dual tact switches for 3d-printed triggers.

- 5 inch screen + vga mod

- AV or VGA out with a switch that switches between built-in screen output and AV or VGA output. This switch would also swap the controller mode to external. Just like Jefflongo's portable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this, to me, sounds quite ambitious cosidering the fact that I technically have no previous soldering experience. However I'm very keen on learning and practising. Aside from the soldering skills still being in development, I'm not sure how I'm going to get these models 3d-printed. Me still being in the Swedish equivalent of freshman-year and my school not letting me access their 3d printers is proving quite cumbersome.

I know for a fact that I will have plenty of questions along the way and I'm hoping that, in case I can't find the answers to them, you guys will be here to help.

Some more facts that might be worth noting are:

---> I'm still looking to buy a soldering station (been looking into guides and recommendations, but then again I live in Sweden, your suggestions most liekly won't exist here)

---> I have 2x CPU-01 boards, 1x CPU-40 board, and 1x RVK-01 boards.

---> I'm having problems comprehending where exactly to connect wires. I've skimmed through both the wii trimming guide and the RVK-compendium (Amazing work on both of those btw), but I don't really understand exactly where things are supposed to "go".

---> I do have intermediate experience with wii softmodding (At least that's one box ticked)

If I didn't mention it earlier I'm super stoked to start working on this project. I constantly find myself having trouble focusing on my schoolwork because I'm too busy researching thing related to the project.

I'm also going to take the chance to say that what you guys are doing here is absolutely mind-boggling to me. You guys are so dedicated and passionate about this and I'm just so overwhelmed by how much you know about a console that I already though I knew everything about (sike).

I'll finish up my schoolwork and start my shopping for all the parts and tools I'll need for this project. btw, for future reference, my budget is not an issue (maybe a bit of a weird flex lol). Hope I'll be hearing from you guys once I get started with my project. Or perhaps even before if I have any questions on what to buy (not sure if that's allowed in a worklog though).

Sorry for the extensive read, but like I said I'm really pumped-up for this and I just wanted to get everything out there.

Be seeing you (hopefully)!

PS. I already love bitbuilt!

Last edited:
Besides the money, and age you and I are in almost exactly the same place. Good luck with the portable, and I will follow this to see any updates!

So already ordered 3x PAM8803's and 6x of these speakers + some IR leds, headphone jack, buttons. I've also ripped 2 joystick boxes out of a shitty 3rd party wii classic controller that deserved to die. Currently looking for places to find abxy-buttons.

Found a place selling batteries of the model: Panasonic NCR18650B with 3400mAh. Just ordering wire and a soldering station + clearing out my basement so I can work on it there. I've never prepared so much for a project as I'm doing now.

Also currently waiting for my Wii power management system and GC+ board that I ordered the other week. Apparently the order hasn't been fulfilled yet and the shipping will probably take some time. I'm beginning to worry that those parts won't make it here in time. It's pretty hard to do much without any custom regs besides installing software and trimming the board.

Just one question: What wire guages should I buy?
So far I've managed to figure out that I need at least 32 AWG magnet wire for soldering to traces + data wires. Also I know I'll need 18 or 20 AWG wire for power and GND lines. I'm guessing I should pick up some IDE or just smaller-in-general wire.

I really like the look of these speakers, they're very flat which I need.

I'll also start posting some more pictures once I finish up my final tests in school this and next week and can start doing things for real. Hopefully all of my things will arrive soon.

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
For wire gauge, I'd recommend 34 or 38 gauge as opposed to 32 for easier via wiring. 22 gauge is the thickest wire you'll ever need, so I'd get some of that. I'd also recommend 30 gauge wrapping wire for when you need to wire something in between those two thicknesses.

For wire gauge, I'd recommend 34 or 38 gauge as opposed to 32 for easier via wiring. 22 gauge is the thickest wire you'll ever need, so I'd get some of that. I'd also recommend 30 gauge wrapping wire for when you need to wire something in between those two thicknesses.
Thanks a lot man. I'll make sure to stock-up on some of that. Pretty hard to find thinner than 32 guage wire here in Sweden but I'm sure I'll find some. Back to shopping!

Thanks a lot for the advice @The hob . Made sure to order plenty of wire: 38 guage magnet wire, 22 guage wire (for GND), some 24 guage wire for power, and some 30 guage wire for anything in between. Hopefully I'll be all sorted now on the wire front.

I just wish the boards I ordered from the bitbuilt store will have time to get here. But I totally understand that the guys making them, i think it's Aurelio and Gman, have their own lives to attend to. Hope everything gets here in time for my project to start.

Just one more quick question: How much do you guys think is reasonable to pay for batteries per/cell? I haven't ordered mine yet but I found a site selling Panasonic NCR18650B's 3400mAh for a bit more than 12 buck/cell. Not sure if that's a good price or not. I'll probably just buy them anyway, but I'm curious to hear what you guys spent/spend on batteries.

Thanks yet again for all the responses, really appreciate all your time and advice.

Last edited:
Again I have a site to recommend, this time it is nkon. They sell batteries at a great price and ship them via legal methods. I found the battery you where talking about on nkon for €4.95 (here for the eu link). The shipping to Sweden is, if you go the slow route, is only €3.80!

I would also highly recommended that you buy a multi-meter, if you don't already have one. The one if have is this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ANENG-AN8008-Digital-Multimeter-9999-Counts-With-Backlight-AC-DC-Volt-Amp-Ohm-Capacitance-Frequency-Diode/32952185222.html

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks a lot for the advice @The hob . Made sure to order plenty of wire: 38 guage magnet wire, 22 guage wire (for GND), some 24 guage wire for power, and some 30 guage wire for anything in between. Hopefully I'll be all sorted now on the wire front.

I just wish the boards I ordered from the bitbuilt store will have time to get here. But I totally understand that the guys making them, i think it's Aurelio and Gman, have their own lives to attend to. Hope everything gets here in time for my project to start.

Just one more quick question: How much do you guys think is reasonable to pay for batteries per/cell? I haven't ordered mine yet but I found a site selling Panasonic NCR18650B's 3400mAh for a bit more than 12 buck/cell. Not sure if that's a good price or not. I'll probably just buy them anyway, but I'm curious to hear what you guys spent/spend on batteries.

Thanks yet again for all the responses, really appreciate all your time and advice.
Depends where you live. In Australia they go for about $10AUD per cell, it should be significantly less than that in the US.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks yet again @The hob for the advice. Just ordered 4 of those cells and awaiting the dutch truck to arrive between 14-21 days (that's slow driving). I'll also try to find a local place to get hold of a multimeter, or just order one online.

I was also looking into usb-c charging. Do I just get one of these then?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC...arger-Module-Protection-Dual/32835132061.html

Thanks again for all the replies guys.
Nah, that's for charging one individual cell. Gman's PMS takes dumb (12v 3A preferred) DC input and manages the charge curve internally, rather than using an external smart charger like that board. If you want to use USB-C, you'll need to make a custom solution.

Thanks yet again @The hob for the advice. Just ordered 4 of those cells and awaiting the dutch truck to arrive between 14-21 days (that's slow driving). I'll also try to find a local place to get hold of a multimeter, or just order one online.

I was also looking into usb-c charging. Do I just get one of these then?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC...arger-Module-Protection-Dual/32835132061.html

Thanks again for all the replies guys.
And don't use anything less that 5 bucks to charge explosive batteries in your house.

Nah, that's for charging one individual cell. Gman's PMS takes dumb (12v 3A preferred) DC input and manages the charge curve internally, rather than using an external smart charger like that board. If you want to use USB-C, you'll need to make a custom solution.
Yeah that makes sense. So if I want to even consider usb-c I would need to modify the PMS to accept 5V. So no usb-c for me then. Thanks guys.

I need to upload this image for a PM. Does anyone know how to upload a file seperately from a thread conversation? Sorry if this is a noob question.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah that makes sense. So if I want to even consider usb-c I would need to modify the PMS to accept 5V. So no usb-c for me then. Thanks guys.

I need to upload this image for a PM. Does anyone know how to upload a file seperately from a thread conversation? Sorry if this is a noob question.
Upload it to https://imgur.com and put a link to the image in the message

So a quick update on my planning. I'm very close to finally starting this projects, I just have a few more things to purchase before I dive in.
I'll post a picture of all of my parts once they all arrive.

However I did have to re-order a new audio jack because stupid me didn't get a switching one.

I also have one last question regarding charging ports: How hard would it be do incorporate usb-c or micro-usb? Since I'm using the PMS and Gman was so kind as to confirm that it works on 5v, I though "couldn't I just get a Usb-c/micro usb breakout board and wire it up?".
I'm a bit confused concerning this question because I found to threads here on bitbuilt realting to this and they are sort of counterworking each other.

In this thread @Stitches replied saying that it would need a "very custom solution".

However in this thread @jefflongo stated that all he did to use usb-c was to use a simple breakout and also attach a 5.1k resistor on each CC-line.

So I'm not really sure about that one.

It's almost time to get started! I really hate school

Ahaa thanks a lot for that Jeff! But 5v 3a could theoretically keep up with the wii, as long as the batteries can handle that simultaneous charge and discharge rate, right?

So it will work but they just won’t charge very fast. I’m honestly ok with that as long as the charger can keep up with the wii it’s worth it for me because I won’t need to carry an extra charger. I’ll get my hands on somebody breakout boards then!

Almost forgot to say thank you Jeff for the confirmation. Really appreciated