Question First Wii Portable (Gwii Case). Several Questions before I start trimming.

So before I accidently set this thing into flames, It would be great if y'all could quickly look over the board and my wiring just to make sure everything should be ready to go.

Some notes:
U10 SHOULD be wired correctly. The wire keeps breaking off and I have to keep resoldering it.
Blue = 3.3V
Red = 1.15
Cyan = 1V
Black = Ground
Yellow = Video
Audio is not hooked up (because someone moved my stuff and broke off those very delicate wires -_- )
A ground wire is hooked up to the ground on the video connector.
I have to connect the yellow wire to the video cable by hand because the two won't solder together. I hope that doesn't cause any issues.
Only the video will be hooked up to the TV
Bluetooth isn't connected. I'm just testing to see if the Portablize me menu shows up.
USB is not hooked up.

I think that is it, but I do have one more important thing to ask. I am able to set a current limit on my power source. What should I set the limit to on all 3 voltages/

upload_2019-4-25_7-59-47.png

Edit: I made a mistake, the yellow wire above is actually a ground wire for the video. The yellow wire is not connected because it won't solder on.
upload_2019-4-25_8-5-38.png

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Maybe I can't see very well from the picture, but did you short 3.3V to GND?
upload_2019-4-25_8-5-38.png

So I turned on all 3 voltages and I didn't get any signal out of the TV.
I've already done a bit of troubleshooting.
On the generator, I set the voltages to 3.3, 1.15, and 1 but when I measured them on the board, they were all less. So I raised the output from the generator until I read 3.3, 1.15, and 1 from a multimeter on the board.
The 1V though worries me, I could never get it to go above .868V. I kept rasing it and I'm worried I may have sent it 3V by accident.

Are there any other troubleshooting tips y'all could give me?

I'm really not sure what to do. :(

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
On the generator, I set the voltages to 3.3, 1.15, and 1 but when I measured them on the board, they were all less. So I raised the output from the generator until I read 3.3, 1.15, and 1 from a multimeter on the board.
The 1V though worries me, I could never get it to go above .868V. I kept rasing it and I'm worried I may have sent it 3V by accident.

What resistances do you measure between each voltage line and ground? Disconnect the power supplies to perform this check

What resistances do you measure between each voltage line and ground? Disconnect the power supplies to perform this check
3.3V: 4k Ohms
1.15V: 38 Ohms
1V: 8.5 Ohms

So I guess there is a short somewhere but I can't find it :rothink:

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
If your joints are breaking that easily, then they probably aren't connected very well to the Wii mother board. I'd recommend redoing all via wiring with the thinnest magnet wire you can get, ideally 34 or 38 gauge.

If your joints are breaking that easily, then they probably aren't connected very well to the Wii mother board. I'd recommend redoing all via wiring with the thinnest magnet wire you can get, ideally 34 or 38 gauge.
All of the via wiring I have proven to work prier to trimming. The only via wiring that i have on right now is U10.

Edit: I'm sorry if the way i wrote that seemed rude. That was never my intention. Thank you for your advice. When I perform via wiring again, I will replace the wire with magnet wire. Thank you.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member

Is there a current limit set on the power supply? That might explain why the voltage wouldn't raise

Well I would remove the wire first and if the short is still there probably check the edges of the board for copper shorting the layers together and sand more with a finer grit.
The short is still there. I guess I will have to sand it some more. I thought I did a good job sanding. I just really hope that is the reason.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
The 1v line on 6 layer boards actually has a very low resistance to ground. Don't worry about it.

Also normal
hmmmmm:rothink:
Okay, so what about the current output I'm getting from my generator? it seams rather low. IIRC, shouldn't I be getting around 2A? I'm getting less than 1A on all three voltages.

If one of the 6 layers is shorted together, are there two components connected to different layers that I could test for continuity? I know there exists that amazing gimp xcf file that shows the individual layers of the 4 layer board but no such thing exists for the 6 layer as far as I know.

What about the way I'm testing video? I have the sheilding on the AV cable grounded to the wii and I have a wire coming out of C69 that I just attach to the AV cable (not by soldring but by touch). Actually now that I think about it, am I supposed to have the video wire at C69?

Legend

Portables
Hey, GC+ boards are finally available in the shop!!