Question First portable wii advice?

Hey everyone, i'm pretty new here but have been lurking on the forums for a hot minute. I've taken a good bit of time to look at several other threads and other portable wii's created on here. I also have looked at several of the guides so i started to figure up a plan for my own.

Things I have currently bought:
*pth08080wah x 4 resistors
*panasonic ncr18650b rechargable batteries
*a dremal for wii trims
*a soldering kit
*and since im a noob 3 black wiis

So things i have questions on and need advice on, depend on what im trying to do. Basically i wanna do a basic handheld set up, i was thinking a 5 inch screen, usb port, 1 big cooling fan or two small ones (if possible), gc controller buttons and analogs, and i plan to do a 3d printed case if i can.

So basically i need advice on some of the boards and inards, as in which ones i need to make this happen. I know i need a gc+ which i know can be made by myself or if anyone has one, i think i need a regulator and a recharging component for the batteries i bought? I also need advice on where/what screen and wires to buy. Also can you take the buttons and stuff out of a normal gc controller and use them? Or can i just buy some seperate.

I appreciate any and all help, please feel free to throw suggestions my way or knowledge, this is still very much in the planning stage and im really new to the modding scene in general.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Here are the necessary guides on batteries and regulators for you to read
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/custom-regulators-an-explanation-and-guide.754/
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portables-and-batteries-a-guide-and-explanation.2228/
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/building-batteries-with-1-port-play-and-charge.1628/

There is a huge variety of screens you can use. The "backup camera screens" on amazon and ebay are popular.

I would recommend you use 22awg, 32awg, and 38awg wire depending on the specific signal and soldering joint. You can salvage buttons from any controller or buy just replacement buttons on ebay.

Here are the necessary guides on batteries and regulators for you to read
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/custom-regulators-an-explanation-and-guide.754/
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portables-and-batteries-a-guide-and-explanation.2228/
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/building-batteries-with-1-port-play-and-charge.1628/

There is a huge variety of screens you can use. The "backup camera screens" on amazon and ebay are popular.

I would recommend you use 22awg, 32awg, and 38awg wire depending on the specific signal and soldering joint. You can salvage buttons from any controller or buy just replacement buttons on ebay.
Regarding the voltage regulation, how should the regulators be configured? On several worklogs it seemed as though all of the regulators were in parallel, which is fine, but wouldn't it be more efficient to stagger the voltage regulators?
What i'm trying to say is if we step down 7.4V to 1V at 2.6A, that is a lot of wattage that is just lost over the regulator (Assuming these are linear regulators). Would it be better to stagger them so that it would go from 7.4 -> 5 -> 3.3 -> 1/1.15 to mitigate power loss and improve battery life. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make in battery life but doing this was suggested by my professor.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Regarding the voltage regulation, how should the regulators be configured? On several worklogs it seemed as though all of the regulators were in parallel, which is fine, but wouldn't it be more efficient to stagger the voltage regulators?
What i'm trying to say is if we step down 7.4V to 1V at 2.6A, that is a lot of wattage that is just lost over the regulator (Assuming these are linear regulators). Would it be better to stagger them so that it would go from 7.4 -> 5 -> 3.3 -> 1/1.15 to mitigate power loss and improve battery life. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make in battery life but doing this was suggested by my professor.
No you should not be using linear regulators, like you mentioned, the power loss would be too much. We normally use switching regulators

No you should not be using linear regulators, like you mentioned, the power loss would be too much. We normally use switching regulators
That is my bad, I wasn't sure if the PTH08080WAH were linear or switching. Thank you for the clarification. So should infact have them all in parallel with oneanother?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
That is my bad, I wasn't sure if the PTH08080WAH were linear or switching. Thank you for the clarification. So should infact have them all in parallel with oneanother?
Yes the input voltages will be in parallel

hmmm is there possibly a Bill of materials? Before i even get started i wanna make sure i have all the components ready at hand, or at least a pretty good start.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
hmmm is there possibly a Bill of materials? Before i even get started i wanna make sure i have all the components ready at hand, or at least a pretty good start.
A BOM will vary based on what you want to make but in general you need the following:
- Wii
- Display
- Speakers / Audio amp
- Internal controller or GC+
- Batteries
- Battery charging / Protection circuit

In terms of tools
- A good soldering iron
- Solder
- Flux
- Dremel
- Insulated wire (recommend 22awg and 26awg)
- Magnet wire (34-38awg)

And the rest really depends on your own design process and goals.

Last edited: