Worklog First Wii portable

After an extremely long time of finally having time off school and getting all the supplies needed (probably need more) I can finally start building my Wii portable

Got my regs set up and the Wii does boot up
IMG_1728.JPG

Cant really see the screen I was using the screen for a gameboy zero I was making and the front flipped around when I was taking this picture but it does boot

I was thinking of a laptop style portable mainly because whenever I go on road trips with the fam me and my siblings always get bored so it's something that I thought would help ease the boredom

So plan is laptop style
GameCube controller ports
Speakers with BOM audio amp
The RED BOARD for charge and play
A screen that I got from a gutted chromebook (still need to convert the board of that screen to 5v still having trouble with that)
So since the top half is from a chromebook
The bottom half would be from wood
I don't have a 3D printer or access to one so I'll make do with a wooden bottom
I have an idea of a design for it and everything that I was making in Blender but it needs so tweaking and I need to be able to get some practice so I won't waste wood
I was also thinking of add multi colored led but I need to figure out where to put them
On spring break so I have time to do more wiring

Quick question tho my 5v reg when the Wii is on is at 4.99v screen boots and all but I was wondering if it would affect the USB when I wire that up

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I don't think you will be able to run the chrome book screen from 5V, laptop screen converters run off of 12V 3A what does your's run off of? (also pics would be cool)

I don't think you will be able to run the chrome book screen from 5V, laptop screen converters run off of 12V 3A what does your's run off of? (also pics would be cool)
Well then scrap that idea for screen
Would it be possible to run them off some li ion batteries
I have an extra set of them and another red board
Is it possible to use that to power the screen
So two red boards and 2 sets of batteries ?

Edit: this is the screen i was thinking of using
Looking at it now makes me kinda bummed out now
IMG_1729.JPG

If not possible then does anyone know the biggest size screen that can run off 5v

Last edited:
Portables
Don't want the battery to die fast
I mean can I run the screen with the red board and get a good amount of time
Just run it from the redboard, (Assuming it gives 12V?) and then you can run it like that.

also your 5V reg at 4.99V should be fine, is it at 4.99V when underload(it being connected to fan or Usb drive) or just the multimeter?

Just run it from the redboard, (Assuming it gives 12V?) and then you can run it like that.

also your 5V reg at 4.99V should be fine, is it at 4.99V when underload(it being connected to fan or Usb drive) or just the multimeter?
Yes it's the same when connected to fan
Haven't wired up USB yet so I won't know if there is a change there
I'm gonna try to do that tommorow once I buy more solder

Okay so good news is that the screen can be powered by the red board so there is still hope
The not so good news is that I can't get the USB port working
I'm using the 128gb Samsung drive
I might just be wiring the USB wrong but I can't tell
I show pictures tommorow of the wiring since I'm not home right now
Also how exactly do I make the reset button im confused on the actual wiring of it
Another thing is that I can't get the vga mod to work I wired everything up on the screen but nothing shows up (again I take the pictures tommorow) is there a way for me to try the patch again on a trimmed Wii
It works when I use a generic car LCD so picture does show up there but not for the vga screen

Portables
What do you mean when your usb doesn't work? like wii games don't work? or doesn't show up on the wii, or something else?

If you installed the patch, you won't need to install it again, triple check your wiring

What do you mean when your usb doesn't work? like wii games don't work? or doesn't show up on the wii, or something else?

If you installed the patch, you won't need to install it again, triple check your wiring
For USB it won't show up on the Wii like it gives me the prompt to plug in USB or return to Wii menu
As for vga I was confused about the 3.3v to mode cuz when I do that I kept getting flickering on my screen

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Are you sure you wired the colours and H/V sync correctly? VGA uses the RGB configuration, not YpBpR.

Are you sure you wired the colours and H/V sync correctly? VGA uses the RGB configuration, not YpBpR.
I know I wired h and v sync correctly but maybe it was the rgb
I went to pins 7 9 11 where those not the right ones

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I know I wired h and v sync correctly but maybe it was the rgb
I went to pins 7 9 11 where those not the right ones
They are the correct pins yes. 7 should be R, 9 should be G, and 11 should be B for VGA. If you still can't get it working, maybe try flipping H and V. I had some trouble with that the first time, but I'm pretty sure Aurelio updated the guide photos ages ago.

They are the correct pins yes. 7 should be R, 9 should be G, and 11 should be B for VGA. If you still can't get it working, maybe try flipping H and V. I had some trouble with that the first time, but I'm pretty sure Aurelio updated the guide photos ages ago.
Do I still need to wire 3.3v to mode?
I was also confused there too

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Do I still need to wire 3.3v to mode?
I was also confused there too
Yes if you want to use VGA you need to short mode to 3.3v.

As for your question about a reset button you just need to hook the reset via to one end of the switch and gnd to the other end. If the wire is really long consider adding a pull-up resistor to 3.3v (I've had issues with the Wii randomly resetting before).

Also you should never say that you might have wired to the wrong place. Always double check the guides before you power on because after you power on if you did wire to the wrong place you can potentially cause damage.

Yes if you want to use VGA you need to short mode to 3.3v.

As for your question about a reset button you just need to hook the reset via to one end of the switch and gnd to the other end. If the wire is really long consider adding a pull-up resistor to 3.3v (I've had issues with the Wii randomly resetting before).

Also you should never say that you might have wired to the wrong place. Always double check the guides before you power on because after you power on if you did wire to the wrong place you can potentially cause damage.
So reset button is figured out thanks
Does shorting mode to 3.3v mean to directly wire them up or does that mean something else

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So reset button is figured out thanks
Does shorting mode to 3.3v mean to directly wire them up or does that mean something else
Short means to connect two points, normally unintentionally, but in this case you just run a wire from a 3.3v spot to mode.

Short means to connect two points, normally unintentionally, but in this case you just run a wire from a 3.3v spot to mode.
Ok so good news is I got the usb to work
EB161CB9-9533-44E6-8EDF-C40A2AA9FB50.jpeg

The bad news is that vga still won’t work and I did double check my wires re soldered and soldered and still nada
Should I just redo the patch and see if it would work again?
Here is my board if anyone could see what my blind self cannot
EFA57E1C-34DC-4D2E-9FCE-B15785A4FF8A.jpeg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ok so good news is I got the usb to work
View attachment 8385
The bad news is that vga still won’t work and I did double check my wires re soldered and soldered and still nada
Should I just redo the patch and see if it would work again?
Here is my board if anyone could see what my blind self cannot
View attachment 8386
Apart from a possible short between H and V, maybe try shortening the wires as much as you can. Unshielded wires like that near other unshielded wires almost guarantees interference.

Apart from a possible short between H and V, maybe try shortening the wires as much as you can. Unshielded wires like that near other unshielded wires almost guarantees interference.
Ok so I shortened all the wires because they were all over the place and I was able to play one of the best games made for GameCube
(How do I add pictures to games)
88EF90E3-CB3D-40EC-84A5-491A060C81E9.jpeg

And then it froze during the first 5 minutes and gave me this
EF5570FA-E1FD-4A5C-8E3A-F0529040B544.jpeg

Also before this I was just letting the Wii boot to see how long it would last and it blew out my screen
The one I’m using now is my second screen

Also I tried to hook up audio and all I got was LOUD STATIC

AND GOOD NEWS IS I GOT VGA TO WORK
Turns out the diagram I was using was upside down
813CBD8D-A27F-44F5-A3E5-3AA9C4C3043C.jpeg

But it sometimes black screens after the intro

Last edited: