Question QFN soldering

I have had some varying success with using hot air to solder QFN parts, but I can rarely get it reliably done. For example with JacksonS's amp, it took a couple of tries to solder the PIC & get it actually programmed. What do you guys use to solder QFN parts? Is it just hot air, stencil and solder paste? Or has anyone built their own reflow oven with a Controleo3?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I have had some varying success with using hot air to solder QFN parts, but I can rarely get it reliably done. For example with JacksonS's amp, it took a couple of tries to solder the PIC & get it actually programmed. What do you guys use to solder QFN parts? Is it just hot air, stencil and solder paste? Or has anyone built their own reflow oven with a Controleo3?
For small boards like that one hot air is enough. You could even avoid a stencil and put solder paste with a syringe, although it's harder to get it right.
I made myself a small reflow oven (not made with controleo), but I use it for PCBs batches or bigger boards

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
For small boards like that one hot air is enough. You could even avoid a stencil and put solder paste with a syringe, although it's harder to get it right.
I made myself a small reflow oven (not made with controleo), but I use it for PCBs batches or bigger boards
Pics?