Question Wii won't turn off after being given too many volts

While testing batteries I gave the wii 14 volts instead of ~12 and now the wii won't turn on. The led lights won't turn on and the wii gives no signal to the monitor. My other wii (that I wasn't planning to use for this project) works fine and still gets power with the cable along with the monitor. Is the wii fried/broken? Are there any fixes/testing points I should test to know if it's still capable of working. Thanks!

(Again sorry if this is a dumb question!)

MikaMaslak

PrankMaster 2022
Portables
I'm pretty sure the wii's on board regulators can handle 14v without breaking especially if it wasn't maintained for too long, but as for test points I'm not sure. And the no LEDs I'm pretty sure is a bad sign. are you giving it 12v now as you test it?

First off, there is no way that the wii uses 3.7 amps of current. That is just the maximum current that the wii power brick will supply. An electronic device will only draw as much current as it needs.

Second, the wii should be find with 14 volts. I have personally used 14.8 volts for an extended period of time and it worked just fine. Are you sure that you did not reverse polarity of the voltage? Could you have accidentally put the voltage in the ground line and connected your ground to the voltage line? Because that would definitely have broken something.

While testing batteries I gave the wii 14 volts instead of ~12 and now the wii won't turn on. The led lights won't turn on and the wii gives no signal to the monitor. My other wii (that I wasn't planning to use for this project) works fine and still gets power with the cable along with the monitor. Is the wii fried/broken? Are there any fixes/testing points I should test to know if it's still capable of working. Thanks!

(Again sorry if this is a dumb question!)
Have you checked to see if the fuse is blown?
omg fuse.jpg
I've circled it in blue. AFAIK all you need to check for is continuity on the fuse. If there is continuity then its fine, if there's nothing then its blown. Have you also tried a different power supply?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the wii's on board regulators can handle 14v without breaking especially if it wasn't maintained for too long, but as for test points I'm not sure. And the no LEDs I'm pretty sure is a bad sign. are you giving it 12v now as you test it?
Yes I'm giving it 12 Volts during testing

-merge-

Have you checked to see if the fuse is blown? I've circled it in blue. AFAIK all you need to check for is continuity on the fuse. If there is continuity then its fine, if there's nothing then its blown. Have you also tried a different power supply?
No I haven't, thanks I'll check that out

*Edit just checked it and there was no continuity on the fuse.

-merge-

First off, there is no way that the wii uses 3.7 amps of current. That is just the maximum current that the wii power brick will supply. An electronic device will only draw as much current as it needs.

Second, the wii should be find with 14 volts. I have personally used 14.8 volts for an extended period of time and it worked just fine. Are you sure that you did not reverse polarity of the voltage? Could you have accidentally put the voltage in the ground line and connected your ground to the voltage line? Because that would definitely have broken something.
Thanks, I'll check all those!

Last edited by a moderator:
wew triple post

You can use the edit button, or just respond to multiple things in the same post
Oh, sorry.

*Edit also sorry if I shouldn't be saying sorry and this just adds to the problem

Oh, sorry.

*Edit also sorry if I shouldn't be saying sorry and this just adds to the problem
If there is no continuity on the fuse then its likely blown. What I would suggest is removing the fuse then you can bridge the 2 solder pads. This will confirm if the fuse was the issue. I would also recommend checking to make sure your power supply is outputing 12v and its not spiking or anything. This isn't a permanent fix and I wouldn't recommend running it without a fuse for an extended period of time.