Question I need help with making a PS2 Portable

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
First up: Don't panic! Troubleshooting is a developed skill ;)

It helps if you can cross-test things (with a TV, or DVD player, or speakers). From what you've described I'd focus on your video wiring and soldering - this is one of those "isolate what it can't be to find out what it is" problems - so really you've got to go back over your connections and just double check everything. At worst post a couple of good photos for people to give more constructive feedback.

First up: Don't panic! Troubleshooting is a developed skill ;)

It helps if you can cross-test things (with a TV, or DVD player, or speakers). From what you've described I'd focus on your video wiring and soldering - this is one of those "isolate what it can't be to find out what it is" problems - so really you've got to go back over your connections and just double check everything. At worst post a couple of good photos for people to give more constructive feedback.
I haven't wired anything just yet, my monitor should arrive tomorrow at the earliest. I'll show you a photo of what is happening.

Attachments

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Snap! That's a new one on me! Does the TV work with any other input? You might have to wait for someone smarter than myself here sorry (or that little backing monitor to cross-check). I seriously doubt you've broken anything, so that's the good news :)

Sorry about that dude!

Snap! That's a new one on me! Does the TV work with any other input? You might have to wait for someone smarter than myself here sorry (or that little backing monitor to cross-check). I seriously doubt you've broken anything, so that's the good news :)

Sorry about that dude!
Thanks for trying. This is a very old TV and I have tried AV and aerial. I will just try to use the backing monitor when it arrives. It makes no sound my PS2 though after boot like no menu noise. If it doesn't work I think I may have broken it.

Thanks for trying. This is a very old TV and I have tried AV and aerial. I will just try to use the backing monitor when it arrives. It makes no sound my PS2 though after boot like no menu noise. If it doesn't work I think I may have broken it.
did you do any wiring or touch anything?
could be something is touching somewhere also was the ps2 fully functional before?
could also wrong region (pal and ntsc) there are a few things I can think about.

did you do any wiring or touch anything?
could be something is touching somewhere also was the ps2 fully functional before?
could also wrong region (pal and ntsc) there are a few things I can think about.
The PS2 had a disk read issue before but I fixed it. I took out the disk drive and turn it on. I only touched the little battery that is connected to the PS2 near the disk drive. I got fascinated by it when I saw that touching it made the light go green and red at the same time. After that I restarted the PS2 and from now on it corrupts the screen. I tried unpluging and reconnecting the battery and that didn't help.

-merge-

Sorry about that dude!
Ok I think it's stuffed. I am going to order a new PS2 and I will be very careful this time. I think it's a 79XXX model:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/playstation-2/consoles/listing-1932068001.htm

Also I think I am going to get four 18650 batteries:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni...39.htm?rsqid=8f7784933a17461fa1a6f08693fa0b4a

Would buying four of these be good?:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni...74.htm?rsqid=0af6eb2c1dee431392390943c864fcf4

Or one of these?:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni...24.htm?rsqid=0af6eb2c1dee431392390943c864fcf4

Last edited by a moderator:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Don't splurge money on a new one until you're sure the old one is dead. Actually, who am I kidding, you'll make another one after this because we all do!

For the batteries: Beware of false advertising as it happens a lot. About the max mAh you can get in an 18650 is 3500, and GMan has a good BOM which details some deals there - but in most cases a battery is a battery :) Any charger will be good for charging them (I've just got the cheap one you listed last even), but if you want plug and play charging on your final portable about the easiest is to get yourself a "red board" akin to this one here, this also doubles as a protection board for the batteries so you don't end up with a small bomb:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligen...S-Packs-18650-lithium-Satellite-/311721987212

I'm sure there's an expert around here who could offer more information for creating a good setup for charging and playing at the same time but that seems to be the go-to solution with many of the portables. There were a couple of threads on battery setups and charging but for the life of me I cannot find them sorry :(

The PS2 had a disk read issue before but I fixed it. I took out the disk drive and turn it on. I only touched the little battery that is connected to the PS2 near the disk drive. I got fascinated by it when I saw that touching it made the light go green and red at the same time. After that I restarted the PS2 and from now on it corrupts the screen. I tried unpluging and reconnecting the battery and that didn't help.
oh u damaged something happened to my 5XXXX model. I use the reset/eject button to boot it tho.

-merge-

Ok I think it's stuffed. I am going to order a new PS2 and I will be very careful this time. I think it's a 79XXX model:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/playstation-2/consoles/listing-1932068001.htm

Also I think I am going to get four 18650 batteries:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni...39.htm?rsqid=8f7784933a17461fa1a6f08693fa0b4a

Would buying four of these be good?:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni...74.htm?rsqid=0af6eb2c1dee431392390943c864fcf4

Or one of these?:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni...24.htm?rsqid=0af6eb2c1dee431392390943c864fcf4
1st link - im not sure if it is u can pray and hope it is if u do buy
2nd link - fake capacity max capacity of 18650 are 3400 or 3600 MAH ultrafire is a Chinese brand with probably around 1200MAH or less depending.
3rd link is for if your going to usb charge each cell individually
4th link is if your gonna do removeable batteies and charge them together.
you could do a removeable battery setup but still get a bms and simply get some 18650 cell holders and wire the correctly for and to the bms.

1st link - im not sure if it is u can pray and hope it is if u do buy
2nd link - fake capacity max capacity of 18650 are 3400 or 3600 MAH ultrafire is a Chinese brand with probably around 1200MAH or less depending.
3rd link is for if your going to usb charge each cell individually
4th link is if your gonna do removeable batteies and charge them together.
you could do a removeable battery setup but still get a bms and simply get some 18650 cell holders and wire the correctly for and to the bms.
Ok I will try find batteries that aren't a knockoff brand, and I want the batteries to be inside the console.

-merge-

Don't splurge money on a new one until you're sure the old one is dead. Actually, who am I kidding, you'll make another one after this because we all do!

For the batteries: Beware of false advertising as it happens a lot. About the max mAh you can get in an 18650 is 3500, and GMan has a good BOM which details some deals there - but in most cases a battery is a battery :) Any charger will be good for charging them (I've just got the cheap one you listed last even), but if you want plug and play charging on your final portable about the easiest is to get yourself a "red board" akin to this one here, this also doubles as a protection board for the batteries so you don't end up with a small bomb:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligen...S-Packs-18650-lithium-Satellite-/311721987212

I'm sure there's an expert around here who could offer more information for creating a good setup for charging and playing at the same time but that seems to be the go-to solution with many of the portables. There were a couple of threads on battery setups and charging but for the life of me I cannot find them sorry :(
Yes I do want plug and play charging on my portable so I can charge it at home and play it anywhere without wall power. I have seen that red board on some PS2 Portable videos. I'm guessing this protection board stops overcharging? If so that's good news to me.

Yes I do want plug and play charging on my portable so I can charge it at home and play it anywhere without wall power. I have seen that red board on some PS2 Portable videos. I'm guessing this protection board stops overcharging? If so that's good news to me.
a cmb is the choice for charge and play etc.
yh good branding batteries are also expensive what I did for some my batteries are laptop battery packs

a cmb is the choice for charge and play etc.
yh good branding batteries are also expensive what I did for some my batteries are laptop battery packs
I already bought the red board. Is that bad? Can the red board be used for charge and play?

I blieve i

t can be I don't really know why they say red board my 3s bms is red lol
It's just what MrKane called it so I called it that. I've seen it in a PS2 Portable video before as well. And thanks for letting me know that it can be used (waste of $8 otherwise). One question, do you know if there is a voltage drop when taking out the disk drive? If so, that may have been why my PS2 broke.

It's just what MrKane called it so I called it that. I've seen it in a PS2 Portable video before as well. And thanks for letting me know that it can be used (waste of $8 otherwise). One question, do you know if there is a voltage drop when taking out the disk drive? If so, that may have been why my PS2 broke.
removing the disc drive shouldn't cause major dmg like that. my 77XXXX with removed disk drive uses same volts

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Any of those 18650 holders will work - personally I like buying single ones and gluing them into different shapes that fit snugly around my projects :)

And I agree with Dominatory - removing the drive shouldn't have damaged the unit. I will note that many PS2s are getting old at this stage and I have had them simply die on me, so that can happen too.

Any of those 18650 holders will work - personally I like buying single ones and gluing them into different shapes that fit snugly around my projects :)

And I agree with Dominatory - removing the drive shouldn't have damaged the unit. I will note that many PS2s are getting old at this stage and I have had them simply die on me, so that can happen too.
Single ones glued around the case sounds like a good idea actually. 2 batteries on each side (or 4 if I'm crazy). How would soldering them to this red board work? If they are 4 separate battery holders then how would soldering work? I'm confused and I am just being cautious because I don't want to break another PS2 when it comes to putting it together.

Single ones glued around the case sounds like a good idea actually. 2 batteries on each side (or 4 if I'm crazy). How would soldering them to this red board work? If they are 4 separate battery holders then how would soldering work? I'm confused and I am just being cautious because I don't want to break another PS2 when it comes to putting it together.
to solder to the red board you will use the wires on the cell holders and connect it to them

to solder to the red board you will use the wires on the cell holders and connect it to them
Ahhh so all 4 cell holders connect to them. Would I have to spread out the wires so they don't connect together accidentally?