The SNES Box Go - Portable Flashcart SNES

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
As if this is even a relevant topic in this Wii little land over here, but hell...I'm in the mood to be roasted!

This isn't anything ground breaking by any means aside from the fact that I think no one has tried this in the past, making it an underwhelming "first" in the portablizing scene. But with something as simple as this, why hasn't anyone else done it?

My guess would be having something to do with dropping 2 bills on the Flashcart (an SD2SNES by the guys who make the Everdrive 64) and sacrificing an SNES Jr which seems to now be going for around 1 bill and is rare and stripping one to use in this fashion will unleash the Retro Console SJWs about destroying retro history. Not to mention the $300 in other parts like batteries, screen, custom components and other shit putting this at a parts cost of about $600 before any of the nearly 100hrs this took to design and build....when a Pi 3 costs $40 bucks...

But...this thing is the most badass system I've ever built (well aside from maybe the CrossPlane) as it really seems to sum what was once a childhood fantasy and more.

Yes, technically I took a step back with this system as far as hardware, but at the same time it was a great deal more satisfying in the end than most of my projects.

I hope to have another video and post with some more detailed specs in the near future but I hope you enjoy the video!

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Nice work, I love it! Guess i had already built one by myself if the SNES Jr. wasn't so rare :(
I still have a retro-bit rdp snes portable, but it sucks.. it's bulky, everything just feels bad & the screen sucks, too. So maybe I'll take that appart one day & see if i can connect another screen to it...

BocuD

Portables
Wew this looks great! Makes me want to work on a system like it at some point.. I've been looking at the 1CHIP sense for a while now, might as well start at some point :awesome:

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
stripping one to use in this fashion will unleash the Retro Console SJWs about destroying retro history
It’s ok, I was able to nab a SNES jr for my own collection, so I’m good. :)

Looks great, by the way!