Worklog First Wii portable.

Portables
Working on it.
Hi, i am Teun (17) from the Netherlands.

I have a basic skillset with electronics and can solder decently.

The plan is to first make a portable outside a case.

I will try the OMGWTF trim on a 4layer board.
Use some PTH08080 reglators.
Use a 5V 3A powerbank (does annyone know one that can plug and play?).
Use a gamecube controller (clone ?).
Relocate bluetooth.
7 inch screen.
Did not yet decide on speakers/audio amp.
The cooling solution will come later.
Use a external usb port.
And later i will probably frankencase something.

At last is a thank you for this amazing open community!

Last edited:

AlecM7

For screens, this screen is a good option, since it has both composite, VGA and HDMI input. The VGA mod should work well with it, since there will be 1:1 pixel mapping with its 800x480 resolution.

Make sure to choose "full kit" otherwise you'll just get the LCD or driver board.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ras...lgo_pvid=6f6fe51f-3bdd-4bbe-b744-31775d52d63d

It would be a good choice to figure out what to use as an enclosure before ordering screens, etc... Otherwise it will constrain what you can use that fits your needs.

Portables
Working on it.
Thanks for the reply.
I will figure out the case later (maybie a dumb dessistion)
But i think il stick to a 9 inch screen

How do you make a controller work for a wii portable? (couldnt find much info about this)

I know people use GC+ boards for this, is there no other way?
Also couldnt i use the IC on the GC+ board, like this one :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD7...cb-4055-8696-6b2084aa5d57&transAbTest=ae803_5

And then solder it to a breakeout board.
For the controller you can use the controller board from either an original or 3rd party gamecube controller, it would just be a lot larger then a GC+. Doing it this way would give you analog sticks and buttons you could use.
AFAIK you can't just solder the IC to a breakout board because it needs to be programmed to work properly.

Portables
Working on it.
For the controller you can use the controller board from either an original or 3rd party gamecube controller, it would just be a lot larger then a GC+. Doing it this way would give you analog sticks and buttons you could use.
AFAIK you can't just solder the IC to a breakout board because it needs to be programmed to work properly.
Thats also wat i thought, but i wasnt sure.
But i found how to make them!

https://github.com/Aurelio92/GCPlus

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables

AlecM7

Sometimes I feel like the guides we make on the forum are useless
There's a lot of great guides out there on the forum, but they're extremely hard to find. I've had a really hard time re-finding some of them.
Perhaps there should be pages specifically for guides on each kind of console, perhaps with categories for different subjects on modding that specific device.

There's a lot of great guides out there on the forum, but they're extremely hard to find. I've had a really hard time re-finding some of them.
Perhaps there should be pages specifically for guides on each kind of console, perhaps with categories for different subjects on modding that specific device.
Isn't that what the guide hub is though? There you have sub sections for each console with guides for them. Then there's also the guide submission which has even more guides in it.

AlecM7

Isn't that what the guide hub is though? There you have sub sections for each console with guides for them. Then there's also the guide submission which has even more guides in it.
That's exactly what I was talking about wanting! I didn't even know about the guides section. Guess I just overlooked it. Thanks for letting me know about it :facepalm: