Question SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 drive compatibility issue

AlecM7

Hi all,
I recently got a SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 drive, and it works with Portablizemii until I try to run any games or open EmuNand. Then it will just show a black screen.

I have a SanDisk Cruzer 16GB that works just fine and I've been using until I got this in the mail today. I was sorely disappointed that it didn't work with games. I probably should've just gone with the Samsung 64GB Fit drive that's known to work, but I kind of wanted to get 128GB of storage for less than $100.

Someone had some luck getting this USB working with fat32 on USBloaderGX using some other kind of fat32 formatter from Verbatim, so I'll try and see if that works tomorrow.

In the meantime, is there any way I can get this drive to work/anyone who has ever used one in a portable successfully?

Thanks,
Alec

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm afraid you've wasted your money there my dude. The new Samsung Fit 3.1 is here, they work fine and aren't price jacked like the old model.

AlecM7

I'm afraid you've wasted your money there my dude. The new Samsung Fit 3.1 is here, they work fine and aren't price jacked like the old model.
Dang. I really wish I'd known about that before getting mine. I'd seen that model of USB, but never saw anyone posting about whether or not it worked. Everyone recommended the old Samsung fit drive.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Actually the 3.1 has been having issues that we're still trying to understand. It will sometimes get hung up when exiting back to postloader from a game, and the drive won't work until you recopy all the files.

Just to be sure, you're using 32kb clusters as well?

AlecM7

Actually the 3.1 has been having issues that we're still trying to understand. It will sometimes get hung up when exiting back to postloader from a game, and the drive won't work until you recopy all the files.

Just to be sure, you're using 32kb clusters as well?
Yep, I'm using 32kb clusters with GUI format. This drive is USB3.1 as well, which might be causing the issues I've been having.
By the way, why doesn't Portablizemii use USBLoaderGX, or at least support other formats than fat32? It would be quite nice to be able to use NTFS or WBFS, since they don't waste as much space for allocation tables.

So I should probably go with the 64GB original Samsung fit drive then?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
By the way, why doesn't Portablizemii use USBLoaderGX, or at least support other formats than fat32?
USBLoaderGX requires the disc drive board to be present, whereas neek2o does not, and neek2o only supports FAT32 32kb (for reasons I'm not entirely sure of).

AlecM7

USBLoaderGX requires the disc drive board to be present, whereas neek2o does not, and neek2o only supports FAT32 32kb (for reasons I'm not entirely sure of).
Ah, that makes sense. I really hope that at some point neek2o supports other formats, since fat32 is such an outdated standard. Though I guess I'm not one to talk, since I don't have the technical skills to rewrite the neek2o software. :D