Question U10

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
When you are trimming, take tour time and go nice and slow. You’ll have more control, also a higher speed setting will help it cut easier (assuming you used a dremmel). That should give you straighter cuts and less jagged edges, which will make sanding much easier.

Edit: Also, in my experience I’ve found that using 45 degree angles are much easier when sanding then 90 degree angles because sanding in those tight corners is a pain.

Check each voltage rail to gnd and make sure your resistance is abnormally low. Once that's done, sand it with some high grit and you should be good to go
Not trying to sound rude but could you dumb it down of what you meant im not good with words
And do I need the batteries hooked up to do this?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Not trying to sound rude but could you dumb it down of what you meant im not good with words
And do I need the batteries hooked up to do this?
No problem! Take your meter and measure resistance (ohms) between them and ground. Essentially, set your meter to resistance, take the black lead, poke any "gnd" part of the motherboard, and take the red lead and touch each of the voltage lines. If any of them say an extremely low number, you have a short and need to keep sanding.

No problem! Take your meter and measure resistance (ohms) between them and ground. Essentially, set your meter to resistance, take the black lead, poke any "gnd" part of the motherboard, and take the red lead and touch each of the voltage lines. If any of them say an extremely low number, you have a short and need to keep sanding.
Oh ok that's much clearer thanks
But question still remains does he batteries need to be hooked up and by that I mean switched on
I've read the other forums and I still don't understand when you guys mean under load or other terms regarding voltages just trying to understand one piece at a time
Oh and I tried to make the 1v regulator (one regulator at a time) and I got 1.4v (unless I was using it wrong) but if followed the guide for the voltages and used the correct amount that was said, so I was wondering if something was wrong, don't have a picture on me right now I'll take one tomorrow afternoon after class is over that way someone can see if I messed up or something

Portables
Oh ok that's much clearer thanks
But question still remains does he batteries need to be hooked up and by that I mean switched on
I've read the other forums and I still don't understand when you guys mean under load or other terms regarding voltages just trying to understand one piece at a time
Oh and I tried to make the 1v regulator (one regulator at a time) and I got 1.4v (unless I was using it wrong) but if followed the guide for the voltages and used the correct amount that was said, so I was wondering if something was wrong, don't have a picture on me right now I'll take one tomorrow afternoon after class is over that way someone can see if I messed up or something
When checking resistance, you don’t want to hook up any power (no voltage source) or you won’t be able to check it. So disconnect the battery and check the resistance. When we refer to a load, whatever is drawing power would be the load. So if the battery isn’t connected to something, there is no load. If the battery goes to a Wii or something, then it is under load, and the load is the Wii.

When checking resistance, you don’t want to hook up any power (no voltage source) or you won’t be able to check it. So disconnect the battery and check the resistance. When we refer to a load, whatever is drawing power would be the load. So if the battery isn’t connected to something, there is no load. If the battery goes to a Wii or something, then it is under load, and the load is the Wii.
When checking resistance does it what does it have to be on (I know ohms ) but what setting 200,2000 etc.

IMG_1598.JPG

Ok so in the 3.3v I got 7.63 (20k ohm settings)
1v is .31
1.15v is .05

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
When checking resistance does it what does it have to be on (I know ohms ) but what setting 200,2000 etc.

View attachment 7684

Ok so in the 3.3v I got 7.63 (20k ohm settings)
1v is .31
1.15v is .05
The lower you set the resistance setting, the more accurate it will be. However, using the 200 setting can only measure up to 200ohms ect..

The cuts look very rough. You definitely need to sand more, and those resistance readings depend on what setting you were using (ohms, kohms?). Also what did you do to that poor U10?

Portables
Just curious, what did you use to trim the board?

Portables
Okay, just making sure you didn’t use tin snips or something.

Ok so I made my regs and this is the result that I got
Not connected to Wii:
3.3v-3.31v
1.15v-1.14v
1v-.99v

Connected to Wii
3.3v- 3.24v
1.15v -1.06v
1v- .90v

I just want to know if this drop would be the result of a short or do I just need to change my ohm resistors to a different value

Edit: nvm I got them to output 3.37v,1.15,and 1v

Last edited:
Ok so now I have a new problem
I got my regs set up but when I try to hook up my LCD I get just a blank screen it turns on as if it's connected to something but nothing shows up
image.jpg

image.jpg

Portables
Do you have audio hooked up yet? That will tell you if it is a video problem only or something else.

ToddyHD

The trim still looks rough as Jeff mention. Did you sand it further?

Check all voltage rails for shorts to GND? Use the continuity setting on your multimeter to test all input pins for the voltage lines and see if you're getting continuity to GND. If so, you'll need to check what parts of the outside of your board need more sanding - run a multimeter probe along the outside of the board and see where you get continuity and sand at that point, checking back and forth for resistance between GND and 5, 3.3, 1.15 and 1v lines.

Do you have audio hooked up yet? That will tell you if it is a video problem only or something else.
No I don't have audio hooked up yet

The trim still looks rough as Jeff mention. Did you sand it further?

Check all voltage rails for shorts to GND? Use the continuity setting on your multimeter to test all input pins for the voltage lines and see if you're getting continuity to GND. If so, you'll need to check what parts of the outside of your board need more sanding - run a multimeter probe along the outside of the board and see where you get continuity and sand at that point, checking back and forth for resistance between GND and 5, 3.3, 1.15 and 1v lines.
Does it really look rough
I sanded it ALOT MORE and it's really smooth

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Did you wait a bit, it takes a few seconds to have the no usb popup if it's not connected. Also, are the cpu/gpu getting hot?

Did you wait a bit, it takes a few seconds to have the no usb popup if it's not connected. Also, are the cpu/gpu getting hot?
I did wait a bit nothing pops up
And yes the gpu/CPU do get hot

Edit: I might have found the problem but it's up to debate
I was using a 5v power supply from my android charger
I then just used a portable charger I had and it ended up booting up the no USB detected pop up
So maybe it was the power supply

Last edited: