Solved Diy circuit with 3.7v and 5v output [android gamepad]

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Hi guys

I'm working on the power circuit for my android gamepad/battery case and I bought some parts to make it. Unfortunately it didn't work and I would like some feedback as to why and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the following parts
  1. Lithium Battery Power Indicator
  2. Power Booster & Charger Module
  3. Micro USB Lithium Battery Charger
I already had the following on hand
  1. NES30 Pro
  2. a chinese knockoff battery 1C 6000mah approx (only used for testing, the final product will have 2 x 2500 mah battery in parallel)
  3. A phone
And hooked them up like so

the end result, the Nes30 is powered but the Power booster isn't, thus not charging the phone. If I remove the USB lithium battery charger the booster is powered correctly but the nes30 isn't powered which is not the result I want of course.

I'm planning on charging the battery only with the Micro USB lithium battery charger (the VIN port on the booster board will not be used, only the Vout will be used on that one)

any help would be more than appreciated (also any tips to make sure my shit don't explode would be doubly welcome)

thank you in advance guys

PS: crazy idea but can I hook up the NES30, the battery, the power indicator and the MP2636 in parrallel and skip the usb lithium charger all together or is that super dangerous?

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The charger also has protections to prevent over-discharge and short circuits. I'm assuming the batteries can't supply enough current for both things, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd suggest getting a different booster for the USB output, since that one also has the charging circuitry which is probably causing issues. Perhaps something like this would work better

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
The charger also has protections to prevent over-discharge and short circuits. I'm assuming the batteries can't supply enough current for both things, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd suggest getting a different booster for the USB output, since that one also has the charging circuitry which is probably causing issues. Perhaps something like this would work better
thanks for the suggestion Cheese, I'm down to try it but I'll have to find something else, that part is 50$ on amazon.ca (crazy!)

also what if I were to only keep the booster and connect the battery and the NES30 to the Bat connection in parrallel, would that work/not make it catch on fire?

cheese

Staff member
thanks for the suggestion Cheese, I'm down to try it but I'll have to find something else, that part is 50$ on amazon.ca (crazy!)

also what if I were to only keep the booster and connect the battery and the NES30 to the Bat connection in parrallel, would that work/not make it catch on fire?
O.o 50$? It's less than 10 here...
You really should have some kind of protection circuit between everything and the battery, otherwise there is no safety, and the load won't get turned off when the battery is dead. The MP2636 board in that configuration will cut power to the phone, but the NES30 will still be connected and able to overdraw the batteries.

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
O.o 50$? It's less than 10 here...
You really should have some kind of protection circuit between everything and the battery, otherwise there is no safety, and the load won't get turned off when the battery is dead. The MP2636 board in that configuration will cut power to the phone, but the NES30 will still be connected and able to overdraw the batteries.
yeah it's nuts, I found another seller for 15 though so I'll look into that

also the logic I had is that if I use the battery input connection on the NES30, the board should theoretically stop power to protect against overdraw no? I'm keeping all the power regulator on board.

if I can manage to only use the MP2636 that would greatly reduce the required space
(also the battery indicator seems to be completely inaccurate so I'll have to think of something else to get it's power level)

cheese

Staff member
also the logic I had is that if I use the battery input connection on the NES30, the board should theoretically stop power to protect against overdraw no? I'm keeping all the power regulator on board.
You're right, I was thinking the NES30 was a NOAC for some reason... derp

You could probably get away with just the MP2636, which could also charge the battery as well since it has the charger port

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
You're right, I was thinking the NES30 was a NOAC for some reason... derp

You could probably get away with just the MP2636, which could also charge the battery as well since it has the charger port
I'll try it out with a fire safety bag overnight and see if nothing explodes!

also on last question and thank you so much for all your help, do you think I can wire 2 battery in parallel instead of just one with the ''MP2636 only'' set up? (two legit adafruit battery no chinese knockoff) I would assume it'd be fine since it stays only one cell

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Thank you so much for all your help!

now that the power circuit is finally solved I can move to cutting down the board!