Solved Can't get a 4 layer board to boot. This time I have everything (I think)

Hey everyone, here I am again. This time I tried to do everything there was to do. I bought and wired the PTH08080, checked voltages and trimmer a bit out the lines. When I power it up the screen is black and it's like it's resetting every half a second. The only thing I didn't try is to adjust the voltages when it's on under load to match the correct ones as they obviously drop. The regs were bought on Mouser, so they should be good.

The blue regulator on the bottom is doing nothing, it was for the screen. I'm powering the PTHs from 12v or 7.4 batteries, and the result is the same.

Sorry if I missed some guide that already addresses this issue.

Shorting the reset line brings me to PriiLoader. Now I know the regs are fine, thanks. What should I do now?

Ok so I wired USB and after a lot of attempts I can get a PortablizeMii boot logo but it freezes instantly.

Did you twist the data lines? Also what USB drive are you using?
Yes I twisted them, I'm using a 3.0 SD card reader that always worked fine as my main USB drive died yesterday. I don't know if I have other good quality drives. Also sometimes I get an exception that brings me to the hb menu upside down and then freezes again.

Try adding a second ground line going to the wii board, also got pics of USB wiring?
While I was uploading the USB wiring images the Wii booted fine for the first time! Seems like adding a ground wire to the ground pad near the LDO seemes to have done the trick. Thanks for the help guys!

One last thing how can I wire the Wiimote sync button? Nevermind it was in the bluetooth section.

Edit: Ok so now I'm trying to sync my wiimote but I can't boot the system menu. I get a black screen. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Edit: Ok so now I'm trying to sync my wiimote but I can't boot the system menu. I get a black screen. Am I missing something?
Sounds like a problem with the bluetooth module (Wii software will only work, when the BT-Module works). so might be bad wiring/swapped data-lines. Since the BT-Module also uses USB, twisting the data-lines might help. if you continue to have issues with it, post some pics.

Sounds like a problem with the bluetooth module (Wii software will only work, when the BT-Module works). so might be bad wiring/swapped data-lines. Since the BT-Module also uses USB, twisting the data-lines might help. if you continue to have issues with it, post some pics.
Ok thanks, I was hoping that it could be the bluetooth. Also now every time PortablizeMii boots it freezes or brigs up an exception.

EDIT: I managed to get in the system menu and sync the wiimote. I'm almost done, just need to fix the portablizemii exceptions. They are different and random, it's not always the same error.

Last edited:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
It's most likely an issue with the USB-drive, do you use the samsung drive we're recommending? Reformatting might also help, you shouldn't need to reinstall PM. Bad USB wiring might also cause such issues but i suggest it's just the usb drive itself. Sadly there is no other drive we can recommend but the samsung one.

As soon as I can I will buy the recommended drive. I noticed that in the portablizemii troubleshooting guide it says to use the USB nearest to the motherboard, but does it mean the lower one or the one with the solder pads nearest? If I connect the lower one it doesn't recognise it.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
/Should/ be 6 and 7 on the USB diagram (I don't have a board in front of me, so I can't check). When it says the port nearest to the motherboard, it is talking about on the original connector before trimming

/Should/ be 6 and 7 on the USB diagram (I don't have a board in front of me, so I can't check). When it says the port nearest to the motherboard, it is talking about on the original connector before trimming
Ok thanks, apparently I was using the correct one. I'll try some other drives but it seems to freeze every time, even if for a few seconds it goes fine. Do the usb wires need to be short? Mine are like 15-20 cm

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Ok thanks, apparently I was using the correct one. I'll try some other drives but it seems to freeze every time, even if for a few seconds it goes fine. Do the usb wires need to be short? Mine are like 15-20 cm
As long as they're twisted it is fine

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Make sure they're twisted real tight if they're that long though.

As long as they're twisted it is fine
Yep they are twisted.

Make sure they're twisted real tight if they're that long though.
And they are tight. Do the wires need to be thick?

Assuming the problem is the OS, would some exception information be useful for the troubleshooting? Do you think there is a way to reinstall it without messing it up even more?

Do you think I should open a new post to talk about my software problem? Or am I stuck until I buy the recommended drive? I'm pretty sure that won't fix this issue