Worklog Oxygen64

Currently working in Portugal and have had a lot of spare time the last few weeks. Naturally many an evening has been spent on YouTube and on here drooling over the work people have done. Anyway, I'm back in the UK in a couple of weeks and have been planning on restarting a portable N64 project. I originally started one 4.5 years ago on Bac forums which didn't get very far before my work was mistaken as trash and thrown away by my brother...looking back on the thread last night I can see why it was binned :XD:

So I'm back with the project name Oxygen64, Oxygen was the code name for the GameBoy Micro. Not that I expect my attempt to be micro :rothink:

I'll have to see what parts and supplies I have when I get home and locate it from storage but I believe I have speakers, tacts, regulator, wire, solder. I have ordered the mini amp board from the BOM and am going to order the 5" 640*480 screen from there later today.

Questions.

1. I assume there is not much difference to PAL boards for trimming? I think I read that they are equivalent to rev 5 NTSC boards?
  2. Has anyone used a Nintendo Switch Joycon analog stick with N64p? If not is it possible to do with relative ease?
  3. Would a pair of these batteries with this CMB work? I'm finding getting my head around the whole batteries, C ratings, discharging etc tough!
  4. What charger would be best to use for the above?
  5. Could anyone recommend a soldering iron, as the one I have isn't great and has no temperature control.
Sorry for all the questions, I've spent hours reading guides and worklogs trying to learn and absorb as much information as possible but some of it is above my head atm. I haven't got an electronics background and the most I've done is backlight/bivert GameBoy mods.

Thanks!

PS. I'm Rich, hi!

E64

Portables
Thanks! Joystick and connectors added to my shopping list :)
You're welcome I've order a few hopefully they come in soon be waiting to try it out since the release of the guide :D

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
The difference between PAL & NTSC n64 is mostly the AV-Encoder & Region Chip (PIF). Also i've never seen any "higher revision" PAL boards but that doesn't hurt either.. As for trimming, they're pretty much the same.

You'll also find some PAL specific pinouts i've made in the GuideHub.

The difference between PAL & NTSC n64 is mostly the AV-Encoder & Region Chip (PIF). Also i've never seen any "higher revision" PAL boards but that doesn't hurt either.. As for trimming, they're pretty much the same.

You'll also find some PAL specific pinouts i've made in the GuideHub.
Thanks @Nold, added to my bookmarks :)

E64

Portables
Thanks! Joystick and connectors added to my shopping list :)
I forgot to mention you'll need some Flux it will really help especially since the pins are small and a thin soldering tip because the pins are really small you wouldn't want to use a big tip it will easily brigde all the pins together and get some thin wires 32awg or 34awg the thinner the wire the less of a mess :D

Thanks @E64 :) I've got flux and wire in storage so I'll dig that out when I'm home next week...although I've just realised some of my tools, including wire strippers and solder are at a friends quite a journey away, doh!
I've ordered a soldering station which I believe arrived yesterday, it has a thin tip with it I believe.
Been teaching myself how to use Fusion360 whilst I'm still out in Portugal as there's not much else I can be working on, slowly getting there...

Reactions: E64