Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

So I looked into doing this and didn't realise that the multiout pins luma and chroma are actually shared with RGB and Y Pb Pr.

I noticed that pins 14-16 are marked as japan only for d-teminal cables, I'm pretty sure that those pins aren't connected for non JAP consoles.

So the best way to add VGA with no external alterations seems altering cheap d-terminal cable to VGA.

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
So I looked into doing this and didn't realise that the multiout pins luma and chroma are actually shared with RGB and Y Pb Pr.

I noticed that pins 14-16 are marked as japan only for d-teminal cables, I'm pretty sure that those pins aren't connected for non JAP consoles.

So the best way to add VGA with not external alterations seems altering cheap d-terminal cable to VGA.
Wii motherboards are all the same, it doesn’t matter what region they are from

Sorry, most write ups I found said that those pins are only used on Japan consoles.

Would anyone have a link to the sanded layer scans that came out a couple of years ago? I've tried searching them but have not been able to find them. Optimally I can remove a resistor or capacitor to disconnect those pins from the d-terminal lines.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
It seems R56 and R58 can be removed to isolate pins 14 and 16 of the multiout. Clean VGA mod is now theoretically possible.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
It seems R56 and R58 can be removed to isolate pins 14 and 16 of the multiout. Clean VGA mod is now theoretically possible.
Yeah that should work. R56 and R58 are simple pulldown resistors, since it seems like the Wii only handles the D-Terminal data line 2, while the others are always pulled to GND.

Took me a bit but I eventually got there. Thanks for making this possible Aurelio.

It works for the most part but I seem to be having some video issues...

Any text has a weird haze/shading, and the right side of the screen is glitched and just stretches the image and not sure how to fix that and was wondering if any of you had a solution. Overall great though, thank you @Aurelio !

Attachments

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
It’s not interference. You haven’t set 480p in the system menu, right?

@thedrew Im not aurelio, but are your R, G and B lines' wires shielded? It may just be interference.
Actually, they are not shielded. But I've seen interference before and it usually doesn't look like this :/

It’s not interference. You haven’t set 480p in the system menu, right?
I have previously, but then later restored the wii to start fresh with softmodding it... but come to think of it, do you think restoring cleared some config files for previously setting it to 480p?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Actually, they are not shielded. But I've seen interference before and it usually doesn't look like this :/

I have previously, but then later restored the wii to start fresh with softmodding it... but come to think of it, do you think restoring cleared some config files for previously setting it to 480p?
Yeah you probably lost the configuration. I will release an homebrew to enable the 480p even if has never been selected before

Portables
sorry for bother you, but is there any ETA for Wii System Menu in VGA, or is it even possible?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
sorry for bother you, but is there any ETA for Wii System Menu in VGA, or is it even possible?
No ETA, but it’s entirely possible, I just didn’t care much about doing it :D
I will look into it later

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
yeah, take your time :-D
It is not a must have feature.
This is untested, but I think it should work. To use this patch, unzip the "hacks_hash.ini" file in /apps/priiloader/ on your USB drive (create the folder if needed), then boot priiloader, go in the "System Hacks" menu and enable the "Force VGA" patch. Then save and try booting the system menu

Attachments