Question Phone charger, OMGWTF trim, custom regs

Hi I'm looking to start a new project, it's going to be another non-portable wii but this time I will try to do a OMGWTF trim so it can fit in a brook gamecube adapter, which is pretty small: https://goo.gl/images/PHqP3c . Question number 1: Just how small can we trim the OMGWTF before running into issues? I know it is possible, but what is the limit and where are we allowed to cut inside the lines?

Question number 2: I have read the guide about regulators but it more inclined towards using a battery, I was thinking about using a phone charger, something like 5V 2A wich would be 10W, and the wii, according to
The Wii requires 3.3v at 0.66A, 1.15v at 1.8A, and 1v at 1.53A. Now that we know exactly what the Wii draws, we can use this information to pick out regulators that will fit these specifications.
needs ( 3.3x0.66 + 1.15x1.8 + 1.53) 5.8 watts. Am I correct?

Question 3: If so, would it be possible to wire 5v directly to the unregulated phone charger, and use the TI regulators to get 1.15v, 3.3v and 1v from the same phone charger?

Thanks a lot!

BocuD

Portables
The maximum limit for OMGWTF is basically LMAO, but keeping the nand on the board. You should be able to figure out what this means using this and the compendium. You will have to replace or relocate the LDO for this, which is sorta documented in the first link. Cutting the wii itself shouldn't be super hard but be careful as there are inside cuts as well. A LOT of sanding is important here. I recommend you to first relocate the LDO, before doing anything else. once you get that working just trim it like OMGWTF. If it still works after that, only then do the 'full' trim. Look at my second worklog to get an idea of how the trimmed board would look. Some of this may help as well.
Good luck, it seems like a cool idea. Can't wait to see it done.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Bocud covered 1 pretty well
As for 2 and 3, your phone charger will be using a boost converter to boost the 3.7v from the batteries inside to the proper 5v. You can use the output from that and power everything from that with the ti regs, just make sure all the other components don't overload the charger.

BocuD

Portables
Bocud covered 1 pretty well
As for 2 and 3, your phone charger will be using a boost converter to boost the 3.7v from the batteries inside to the proper 5v. You can use the output from that and power everything from that with the ti regs, just make sure all the other components don't overload the charger.
lel i totally forgot 2 and 3.. whoops
I think he meant a 5v 2a power brick thing phone charger, not a power bank. Anyways, the same applies. You can just use the 5v output of the charger for the 5v line on the wii. Then hook up the TI regs to it. Be carefull with the input connector though, try using a bigger breakout for mini usb or something and use good cables. At some point i tried powering a wii from micro usb but it randomly crashed and shut down because of the voltage drop on the 5V line.

Thanks bocuD for question 1, I got everything I need to figure this out now!

As for 2 and 3 I was unclear. Cheese I didn't quite understand what you meant, I think you were thinking as if I had a battery inside? as a clarification, I won't be using any battery, I want to use a phone charger, the kind you plug into the wall and connect directly to your phone. So my question would be: would a 5v 2amps charger be enough to power everything?

Just to confirm bocuD, so the TI regs would work fine or not? Should I use something else?

And as a side note, what is the easiest way to get a gc video working for wii since the bitbuilt shop doesn't seem to be open? I tried figuring out how to do it on the github page but I don't understand a word and I can't find any documentation for the wii.

Sorry, long answer I tried to be as clear as possible as English is not my language.

BocuD

Portables
The TI regs should work fine, yes. GCVideo is obsolete imo now that the VGA patches are a thing, just use those with an hdmi adapter, seems better.

BocuD

Portables
5v 2a will definitely power the Wii no problem
I meant the voltage drop that could ‘occur’ with shitty wiring to a micro usb port. That happened to me anyways :P
Made the USB drive go all messy

Thank you both for answering my questions before I start!
GCVideo is obsolete imo now that the VGA patches are a thing, just use those with an hdmi adapter, seems better.
Since the GCvideo is obsolete, you suggest I patche the wii to get VGA out and then convert that to hdmi? Why not just convert component to hdmi? Am I wrong?

BocuD

Portables
Thank you both for answering my questions before I start!

Since the GCvideo is obsolete, you suggest I patche the wii to get VGA out and then convert that to hdmi? Why not just convert component to hdmi? Am I wrong?
Its better to just use VGA using Aurelio’s patches. Using component could work as well, and has much better compatibility, but the image quality will be slightly worse. VGA looks very nice, and works 95% of the time, so i suggest using it. Converting vga to hdmi was because you originally asked about GCVideo, which does DVI/HDMI. I thought you needed hdmi (idk) so thats why i said so. Basically every component to HDMI converter out there sucks, thats why. I’m guessing you are making a portable, and in this case, just skip hdmi and use only vga. It will save you a lot of hassle.

Yes I actually need hdmi because this is not a really a portable for now, at least, in this case should I still use the vga patches to get a vga to hdmi converter instead of a component to hdmi?
Or should I still go with GCvideo even if I really don't get how it's done for now?

BocuD

Portables
Do you have a TV that doesn't have composite, component or VGA? yeah sure just buy a wii2hdmi.
Does your tv have any of these? Use composite, component or VGA. Its much easier and probably better (except for composite) then the wii2hdmi. There is no reason to go with GCVideo, as a VGA to HDMI converter will probably give you better results.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Do you have a TV that doesn't have composite, component or VGA? yeah sure just buy a wii2hdmi.
Does your tv have any of these? Use composite, component or VGA. Its much easier and probably better (except for composite) then the wii2hdmi. There is no reason to go with GCVideo, as a VGA to HDMI converter will probably give you better results.
Actually no, gcvideo over hdmi would give the best possible result since it doesn’t have to go through digital to analog conversions (and viceversa)

BocuD

Portables
Actually no, gcvideo over hdmi would give the best possible result since it doesn’t have to go through digital to analog conversions (and viceversa)
True, the quality would be a little better, but it requires him to manually order and assemble a PCB, then solder it up. Your VGA patches only require 2 extra wires :P

Thanks for clearing out the differences in quality. And yes I absolutely need hdmi for my output! I guess shockslayer stopped selling his premade GCvideo? Then I'll go with either one converter

Edit: Yes my tv htv has composite but I feel like at least the wii2hdmi is worth it, if not the vga converter because composite really is bad.