Worklog Luwiigi Portable Worklog!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Mind if I ask why the ABXY is on the left and the dpad on the right? Do you then control movement with your right thumb?

Luca

Mind if I ask why the ABXY is on the left and the dpad on the right? Do you then control movement with your right thumb?
That was actually a stupid mistake I made right at the beginning of the design and I didn't realize afterwards. Haven't put in the effort to change it until then :\
Probably should do that soon...

Last edited:
Portables
Hello man.
If you really want to put a wii mote and gamecube controller in your portable you need some kind of bus switch.
I am currently working on a 3 in 1 Controller board with GC+, Classic+ and a Mode Switcher on one PCB.
I need to test the board, but when it is ready i will release the PCB Files.

Luca

Hello man.
If you really want to put a wii mote and gamecube controller in your portable you need some kind of bus switch.
I am currently working on a 3 in 1 Controller board with GC+, Classic+ and a Mode Switcher on one PCB.
I need to test the board, but when it is ready i will release the PCB Files.
Thanks for your reply, Koksi. I really wanted a seamless way to switch from gc to wiimote to nunchuck, but it seemed too much of a hassle to truly make it really seamless, so I settled on using three switches; one to cut off power to the gc controller, one to cut off power to the nunchuck and one 4PDT switch to switch the dpad buttons as if holding the wiimote horizontally to as if holding it vertically. I'd really love to use the board you're developing in my portable but I have a deadline for this, so I'll probably have to use it in a 2nd revision. It does sound like a pretty cool solution! Does the PCB include nunchuck support or only gc, classic controller and wiimote support?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Thanks for your reply, Koksi. I really wanted a seamless way to switch from gc to wiimote to nunchuck, but it seemed too much of a hassle to truly make it really seamless, so I settled on using three switches; one to cut off power to the gc controller, one to cut off power to the nunchuck and one 4PDT switch to switch the dpad buttons as if holding the wiimote horizontally to as if holding it vertically. I'd really love to use the board you're developing in my portable but I have a deadline for this, so I'll probably have to use it in a 2nd revision. It does sound like a pretty cool solution! Does the PCB include nunchuck support or only gc, classic controller and wiimote support?
Just so you're aware, just doing this won't be enough for everything to work properly unless you use a TVL revision Wii remote. Based on what I've heard from Jackson, even if other wiimote revisions don't have power, it will still interfere with the GameCube controller for some reason. It may not be a bad idea to start looking into tweaking your plan now.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Portables
Just so you're aware, just doing this won't be enough for everything to work properly unless you use a TVL revision Wii remote. Based on what I've heard from Jackson, even if other wiimote revisions don't have power, it will still interfere with the GameCube controller for some reason. It may not be a bad idea to start looking into tweaking your plan now.
You can use all WII Mote Revisions, because there is a BUS Switch between all gc and Mote Buttons

Luca

You're kidding me! How do I know if I have a TVL wiimote? Is the model number TVL? And is there any way to bypass this? Maybe pull down the wiimote contacts to ground?

Anyway, thanks for mentioning this, it'll change a few things.

After you're done, could you upload the model?
Only because you asked so nicely :)

But seriously, I was planning to release them anyway so you're in luck!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
You can use all WII Mote Revisions, because there is a BUS Switch between all gc and Mote Buttons
Yes, your board addresses the issue perfectly. I was talking about Luca's idea of just switching power and ground between controllers.

Yes, TVL is a revision type. All TVL revisions have wiimote plus built in, but not all Wiimotes with wiimote plus are TVL. As far as identifying them, I believe @JacksonS knows a lot more about that than I do, but if I remember correctly it involves opening up the controller.

If you aren't comfortable with things as advanced as trimming a Wii, I'd reccomend for Aurelio's GCC controlled Wiimote patches. No extra hardware will be required, the only downside is that you may be waiting for a long time as he's a busy dude.

Luca

Yes, TVL is a revision type. All TVL revisions have wiimote plus built in, but not all Wiimotes with wiimote plus are TVL. As far as identifying them, I believe @JacksonS knows a lot more about that than I do, but if I remember correctly it involves opening up the controller.

If you aren't comfortable with things as advanced as trimming a Wii, I'd reccomend for Aurelio's GCC controlled Wiimote patches. No extra hardware will be required, the only downside is that you may be waiting for a long time as he's a busy dude.
Alright, I'll have a look if any of my Plus Wiimotes work with this setup. If I don't have a TVL one, maybe @JacksonS can share some info on how to identify different Wiimote revisions?

Or I might just scrap this idea entirely and wait for @Koksi_90 to release his PCB project.

JacksonS

Portables
How do I know if I have a TVL wiimote? Is the model number TVL? And is there any way to bypass this? Maybe pull down the wiimote contacts to ground?
The original Wiimote uses shorting to a common node rather than GND to detect button presses which seems to be the source of the problem. I've had issues in the past connecting Wiimote button inputs to other controller inputs but I haven't looked into a solution beyond using bus switches. You may be able to solve it with some kind of pull-down/pull-up like you said.

The TR version Wiimotes (I don't think TVL is right) solve this because they do detect button presses by shorting to GND. All of the TR Wiimotes I've encountered have a serial numebr starting with "007" but that may not be a 100% correlation. You can tell if it's a TR Wiimote for sure by connecting it to a PC - the Bluetooth name will have "-TR" at the end. The Wiimotes with character themes (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, etc.) are guaranteed to be TR.

This is just an observation; I don't think you need a GC controller if you plan on including a Wiimote and Classic Controller. Classic Controller is supported by Nintendont, so there is not really instance where a GC controller is needed. Full analog triggers can be retained with Classic Controller if you really want that as well.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
My bad. Not sure where I pulled TVL from...

Luca

I'm having some troubles regarding my GC controller trim. I've managed to pull off a successful trim already, but one leg of the DOL-A chip broke off. So I just thought: no big deal, I'll just get another controller. I did the exact same thing with the new controller. This trim didn't go as smoothly though. I connect the controller to my Wii, boot up Portablizemii, move around the joysticks and nothing. Nothing happens on screen. What am I doing wrong?
  • I've tested continuity to make sure everything is properly connected to the joysticks
  • I've tested if voltage is going to the chip and the joysticks
  • I've sanded the whole thing down with 200 upto 2000 grit sandpaper
  • I've covered the chip with tape before trimming so no particles would get underneath the chip
I know this is the outdated way of adding Gamecube functionality to a portable, but there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong here right? Do gc controllers just die on their own like the consoles themselves?

I'm at a loss here... :rothink:
TINY2622.jpg
TINY2628.jpg
TINY2629.jpg

This is just an observation; I don't think you need a GC controller if you plan on including a Wiimote and Classic Controller. Classic Controller is supported by Nintendont, so there is not really instance where a GC controller is needed. Full analog triggers can be retained with Classic Controller if you really want that as well.
Thanks for all of your help! An yes, I realized I wouldn't need a GC controller if I'd be going with a Classic controller, but since @Aurelio has already finished a working demo of wiimote software emulation, I'd rather just ditch the whole internal Wiimote thing and wait for Aurelio's memes instead. Awesome how easy Wii portablizing is getting by the way. Some awesome work is being done here!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Is there any particular reason why you're using a stock GC controller over a GC+?

Luca

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm having some troubles regarding my GC controller trim. I've managed to pull off a successful trim already, but one leg of the DOL-A chip broke off. So I just thought: no big deal, I'll just get another controller. I did the exact same thing with the new controller. This trim didn't go as smoothly though. I connect the controller to my Wii, boot up Portablizemii, move around the joysticks and nothing. Nothing happens on screen. What am I doing wrong?
  • I've tested continuity to make sure everything is properly connected to the joysticks
  • I've tested if voltage is going to the chip and the joysticks
  • I've sanded the whole thing down with 200 upto 2000 grit sandpaper
  • I've covered the chip with tape before trimming so no particles would get underneath the chip
I know this is the outdated way of adding Gamecube functionality to a portable, but there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong here right? Do gc controllers just die on their own like the consoles themselves?

I'm at a loss here... :rothink:

Thanks for all of your help! An yes, I realized I wouldn't need a GC controller if I'd be going with a Classic controller, but since @Aurelio has already finished a working demo of wiimote software emulation, I'd rather just ditch the whole internal Wiimote thing and wait for Aurelio's memes instead. Awesome how easy Wii portablizing is getting by the way. Some awesome work is being done here!

Have you checked all the ground and 3.3v pins marked here? There's a resistor down the bottom of your trim that looks a bit intruded upon. (I don't know if it's connected to anything tho)