Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

Will the initial steps only work using a composite cable? As in Yellow/CVBS, and red/white for audio?

Or will a component/YPbPr cable work as well?

Also, I'm assuming that as this is a native VGA output, it'll output full colour range?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Will the initial steps only work using a composite cable? As in Yellow/CVBS, and red/white for audio?

Or will a component/YPbPr cable work as well?

Also, I'm assuming that as this is a native VGA output, it'll output full colour range?
It can work with component, but right after installing priiloader you would have to do the VGA wiring and use that for the following steps because component will stop working. That’s why I recommend using composite.
Anyway yeah this is full scale

I've completed the mod and it's apparently working - I've got a complete image and it's holding sync. However I'm getting waves of diagonal bars from the top-right corner moving down to the bottom-left corner, they sort of come in, hold, and then go out, in waves.

Any idea wtf that is? And any idea if I can confirm it's outputting VGA and not composite?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I've completed the mod and it's apparently working - I've got a complete image and it's holding sync. However I'm getting waves of diagonal bars from the top-right corner moving down to the bottom-left corner, they sort of come in, hold, and then go out, in waves.

Any idea wtf that is? And any idea if I can confirm it's outputting VGA and not composite?
If th colors are right then it’s definitely vga. The issue could be either noise or maybe it’s outputting 480i. Did you previously enable 480p in the wii system settings?

Yup. And it shows as 640x480p60 in both the settings and on the TV itself, so it's definitely getting the right signal.

I've got ghosting around the text in priiloader as well, so it's quite likely an analog interference issue.

Where's the best place to pull the signals from, in your experience? Right now I've got them coming off the caps on the edge of the board. Might have to redo it with better/shielded wire.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Yup. And it shows as 640x480p60 in both the settings and on the TV itself, so it's definitely getting the right signal.

I've got ghosting around the text in priiloader as well, so it's quite likely an analog interference issue.

Where's the best place to pull the signals from, in your experience? Right now I've got them coming off the caps on the edge of the board. Might have to redo it with better/shielded wire.
Shielded wires are definitely a better option. Is the wii going to be trimmed? If so those electrolytic caps on the edge are fine, but take the signal from the caps pads facing the internal side of the Wii, not the edge

No, it's going to be in it's case, just without the drive.

I might actually redo it with proper rgb coax from an old vga cable, and ground each signal individually.

Also I tried pulling the signal from both sides of the cap and it made literally 0 difference to this issue.

One thing is odd, my reset button isn't working right anymore. If I hit it, it resets and then just goes to a black screen. If I HOLD it, it goes to priiloader. But it won't go back into postloader without an off-on cycle. Might be a software bug in the patch or something.

Would there be an issue if I pulled the signals off the AV pins instead of the caps? It'd make providing each channel with its own ground much easier.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Would there be an issue if I pulled the signals off the AV pins instead of the caps? It'd make providing each channel with its own ground much easier.
If it’s not trimmed then taking the signal from the AV connector is the best option. Anyway I will take a look at the reset issue, but it will be in few days because I am away from home right now

Ok so I just rewired it going from the AV pads directly, and I was still getting the bars - but I realised it might have been the VGA-to-HDMI converter I was using, so I ditched that and went straight into a VGA monitor.

No bars, perfectly crisp image. I'm quite impressed by the quality. However I'm gonna have to find a VGA-to-HDMI converter that doesn't do the banding, because I occasionally play Wii/GC games on my stream and need that option.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Ok so I just rewired it going from the AV pads directly, and I was still getting the bars - but I realised it might have been the VGA-to-HDMI converter I was using, so I ditched that and went straight into a VGA monitor.

No bars, perfectly crisp image. I'm quite impressed by the quality. However I'm gonna have to find a VGA-to-HDMI converter that doesn't do the banding, because I occasionally play Wii/GC games on my stream and need that option.
Glad you found the issue. I can’t help you to find a better converter though :D

Yeah, I hope I can actually find one, otherwise I'll need to undo the mod and I don't want to do that, because native VGA is better quality than the native component output. I've purchased a different converter with a different chipset (presumably) so I'll see what happens when it arrives.

Fingers crossed.

Out of curiosity, this should still be compatible with widescreen games, yeah?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, I hope I can actually find one, otherwise I'll need to undo the mod and I don't want to do that, because native VGA is better quality than the native component output. I've purchased a different converter with a different chipset (presumably) so I'll see what happens when it arrives.

Fingers crossed.

Out of curiosity, this should still be compatible with widescreen games, yeah?
Yes, widescreen games are also supported

First, congratulations for this incredible mod, I am very interested in using it in my next laptop .... I would like to know if anyone has already tested the differences of this mod against wii2hd, the native VGA I know is better, but the difference is big? I used wii2hd on my 7 inch screen and I did not really like the colors ... they look weak ... the mod vga fixes that ???

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
First, congratulations for this incredible mod, I am very interested in using it in my next laptop .... I would like to know if anyone has already tested the differences of this mod against wii2hd, the native VGA I know is better, but the difference is big? I used wii2hd on my 7 inch screen and I did not really like the colors ... they look weak ... the mod vga fixes that ???
Honestly I don't know. You should definitely try it yourself, but removing a converter is always a good thing

Dumb question but how does the VGA work with 480i? I ask for 240p forcing in virtual console games.