Worklog Contest Entry "KoopaShell"

I appreciate it, but I said screw it and took the plunge. It was through shapeways and seeing as I already did the front from them I wanted to get the back done from them also. Ended up paying 90. The front was like 70. 165 was rediculous but I realized one of my battery compartments was solid for some reason *facepalm* after correcting that it took a lot off the cost but thank you guys anyway. Hopefully I can get it done in time

I appreciate it, but I said screw it and took the plunge. It was through shapeways and seeing as I already did the front from them I wanted to get the back done from them also. Ended up paying 90. The front was like 70. 165 was rediculous but I realized one of my battery compartments was solid for some reason *facepalm* after correcting that it took a lot off the cost but thank you guys anyway. Hopefully I can get it done in time
Shapeways does a decent job but they are way too expensive. Hopefully the case turned out being worth it!

Thanks dudes, I've spent a lot of time with the design. I've never 3d printed a case before, and it still needs a lot of adjustments but I should be able to get it done by the deadline. Measuring everything out with a caliper and then turning it into a model was challenging but surprisingly the mo-bo lined up perfectly with my fan intake, which I was most worried about, as well as the other components. I still need to cut out the usb and power jack ports, it was a modeling error, and the holes were printed closed. Can't wait to finish so I can post some more pics.

So it looks like a failure..the wires are spaghetti I finished soldering everything up and the second I flip the switch...nothing..my indicator is working, my fan and power switch light are coming on the board is heating up and the fans working well with the heatsink. But no screen :( I cut the screen wires shorter to fit it in the case better and realized before I cut it it went through some terminal type of rubber and the video cable had a ground with it but not after cutting the cord shorter. There's a white red black and yellow cable. I figured the ground just split and I have the ground hooked up but still nothing... fml

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
While troubleshooting is a great skill to have it's a real treat if you don't have to do it ;)

Core thing to remember in these situations is that all is not lost! And don't panic. Check your bases and try to figure out what you know and thus narrow down the issue, because there's always another way! First find a way to establish that the board is working (audio can be good for this) and work forward from there - it's gonna be alright!

I'm not getting any audio or video I tried hooking it up to my TV with a split wii cable..nothing. so the boards not outputting video, possibly my regulators or the u10 I worked on it for like 8 hours today I guess I'll try to remove the regulators and check the outputs on them the u10 I think is okay because i tried pulling on it and it seems like it's still attached but it's on the underside where I cant see it. I'll try again tomorrow

Just frustrating because everything worked fine but I had to dissasemble and reassemble almost everything to get it in the case and now this. Hopefully I can figure out what's the issue.

Does anyone know of any vias or points on the bottom of the board to check voltages? It's hard to get to my regulators and I really dont wanna have to take the whole board out if I dont have to. I'm thinking it's a board issue, because I did try a different screen and still nothing. I think maybe when I screwed the fan and heatsink ln it may have put too much pressure on the CPU? Any advice would be great thanks

BocuD

Portables
Does anyone know of any vias or points on the bottom of the board to check voltages? It's hard to get to my regulators and I really dont wanna have to take the whole board out if I dont have to. I'm thinking it's a board issue, because I did try a different screen and still nothing. I think maybe when I screwed the fan and heatsink ln it may have put too much pressure on the CPU? Any advice would be great thanks
Do you have any benchtop power supply’s? You could use those to measure the current going to each voltage line. Besides, checking resistance for every line again doesn’t hurt.

No I just use a multimeter probes on each regulator to see the voltage or the voltage point in the top of the board..and the resistance I check in the regs as well. When i get home today I'm going to just take the board out and check all of the connections..worse case scenario I have another trimmed board I can replace it with. Hopefully o can figure it out. I've spent countless hours on this and it's really disheartening to have it crap out in the final hour...I'll take a pic and put it here when I get home. The wiring is a mess. Maybe there's a short somewhere..

So I got the board to boot it was a disconnected ground on my 3.3 reg.., no usb error. I have to redo the usb I guess, but now also my gc+ pads are coming up on the sx, and when I move the c stick at all it shuts off...probably not making the deadline, I prob. Need a new gc+ or I can try to solder to the traces...fml.
20180806_170135.jpg

Sht... yeah I've been around 350C. Okay thanks man I'll try that out. Hopefully I can get it all working.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Don't panic! Work through it methodically and with a totally clinical approach testing along the way! Good luck!

As of now the only problems I have are the usb which I'm going to rewire and the c and s sticks. I can plainly see the s stick is wired like sht so I'm going to redo that and solder to the pins instead, what's throwing me for a loop is when I move the c stick the screen goes black like some things getting shorted..I sure hope it's not the gc+ chip..we'll see