Worklog PS2p -compo entry

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
dude!! :D epic!!! the RPI is used SMB but directly connected to the ps2?
I'm a little confused by what you are asking but the ethernet on the RPI is directly connected to the PS2. The RPI is inside the case and powered by the battery too.

Holy crap that case looks slick. I love the battery door.
It makes a good "fire escape door" too in case the portable blows up like my last one.

mknrls

I'm a little confused by what you are asking but the ethernet on the RPI is directly connected to the PS2. The RPI is inside the case and powered by the battery too.
my bad. I was asking if you using the raspberry pi to run games off Ethernet from a USB drive (faster speed) or for something else?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
my bad. I was asking if you using the raspberry pi to run games off Ethernet from a USB drive (faster speed) or for something else?
Yes I am using the RPI for ethernet loading. It is very noticeably quicker. A game loaded from PS2 usb can take around 1 minute to start, with ethernet it takes a few seconds.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Yes I am using the RPI for ethernet loading. It is very noticeably quicker. A game loaded from PS2 usb can take around 1 minute to start, with ethernet it takes a few seconds.
And here I thought about doing that with the one I am building at the moment. I've got to fight back the urge to do that now lol Given the slightly finicky setup involved in the ethernet side of things this almost begs a quick guide for anyone else interested ;)

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Sorry - I more mean your solution to wiring the Pi directly into the PS2 ethernet (also: more apologies for convoluting your thread! These should probably get deleted!)

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
I will show you a little bit around my case.
The front:
I am not sold on the name "PS2 Razer" but it's not bad for now.
View attachment 6405
The Back:
I am using a 20700 battery with battery clips and a snap in back door. I've printed all this out and it works wonderfully.
View attachment 6406
The back door has a little lip that holds it in.
View attachment 6407

At this point the design is mostly done. I've reached the point where I can't improve anymore without doing some partial assemblies so that is what I am working on now.
Blowing my mind kid! There's a reason I don't enter these compo's! hehe How's the spring function gonna hold up once the paint and clear coats are applied? Your tolerances look pretty tight.

Noah

retired
Portables
I will show you a little bit around my case.
The front:
I am not sold on the name "PS2 Razer" but it's not bad for now.
View attachment 6405
The Back:
I am using a 20700 battery with battery clips and a snap in back door. I've printed all this out and it works wonderfully.
View attachment 6406
The back door has a little lip that holds it in.
View attachment 6407

At this point the design is mostly done. I've reached the point where I can't improve anymore without doing some partial assemblies so that is what I am working on now.
BEHOLD

(btw only OG members of the community will understand that meme)

Looking great so far! Seems to me you're close to grabbing 1st for the third year in a row lmao

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Blowing my mind kid! There's a reason I don't enter these compo's! hehe How's the spring function gonna hold up once the paint and clear coats are applied? Your tolerances look pretty tight.
I've left .25mm tolerance between parts :D There will be quite a lot of parts for painting due to the design but I think it won't be too bad. I can file down a little between painted parts where you can't see.

Btw I am using a Nintendo DS spring hinge. @Aurelio showed me. I experimented with a few different laptop hinges but I couldn't find a way to work around them cleanly. The DS hinge is easy and works well.

What IC chips are going in those 3 spaces on the board? I am guessing one is the PS2 controller board. What are the other 2 spots?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What IC chips are going in those 3 spaces on the board? I am guessing one is the PS2 controller board. What are the other 2 spots?
One is an ic for ps2+, an lm49450, and a pic 16f1503 for the audio amp. My goal is to eventually integrate an i2c bus for an audio amp on ps2+ but we are not there yet and I just need something working for the competition.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
If you used a caliper, you would have known for certain it would fit perfectly ;P

Aren't you in an engineering class, how do you not have a caliper?