Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I did ;). I remembered a thread about a black screen when booting a game. But it didn't work.
That’s weird... Are you sure you replaced the “kernel.bin” file from the sneek folder?

Ewhizz

Is there something different that must be done to the Wii before trimming if VGA is to be achieved through this method? Or can I complete a regular trim as if I was gonna use a Dalian good 5 inch display and then later on if I want to use a screen which requires this mod can I complete the patch post Wii mobo trim?
Thanks

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Is there something different that must be done to the Wii before trimming if VGA is to be achieved through this method? Or can I complete a regular trim as if I was gonna use a Dalian good 5 inch display and then later on if I want to use a screen which requires this mod can I complete the patch post Wii mobo trim?
Thanks
The patch can be applied whenever you want

Ewhizz

Okay great!
Also just say I want to have video out for my portable, can this only be done as composite?
Thanks

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Okay great!
Also just say I want to have video out for my portable, can this only be done as composite?
Thanks
It's possible to have VGA out but a VGA connector is not small and note it's not possible to have VGA out and composite out simultaneously, you would have to have a switch for the mode pin.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Found some further issues. Looks like this mod does not play well with Scanline generators. There is minor flickering in the image when the generator is enabled which is not seen on other consoles. Perhaps the voltage over the RGB lines is too low?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Found some further issues. Looks like this mod does not play well with Scanline generators. There is minor flickering in the image when the generator is enabled which is not seen on other consoles. Perhaps the voltage over the RGB lines is too low?
Is your video output set to 480p? If not, it may output interlaced vga (which is not standard, so most things will act funny when they get it).

If your scanline generator has component input, that may work better than VGA

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Is your video output set to 480p? If not, it may output interlaced vga (which is not standard, so most things will act funny when they get it).

If your scanline generator has component input, that may work better than VGA
I understand the need for cookie cutter questions but I can assure you the output is 480P, I wasn't even aware the VGA mod could output 480i (not that I'd want to anyway and my monitor doesn't support interlaced signals). I'll probably compare the RGB output voltages with my other consoles as I have mentioned already that the overall sharpness and brightness of the Wii's VGA is inferior to the dreamcast's and 360's output @480p.

----Merge Post----

Yeah this might be the issue. I just checked the RGB voltages on a pure white screen on the Wii and they topped out at 0.640v whereas on the DC they peaked at 0.790v and 0.8v on the X360.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if cutting S-Video for H and V can remove the need for a VGA port on the Wii.

You can do whatever you want rewiring it, but it can't be relocated via software
Of course.

I think the major challenge will be finding an existing Wii SCART Cable wired for both S-video and RGB. I just pried an official composite connector apart and it seems that official only pins for the used connections

BocuD

Portables
Of course.

I think the major challenge will be finding an existing Wii SCART Cable wired for both S-video and RGB. I just pried an official composite connector apart and it seems that official only pins for the used connections
You may be able to use the connector and shell of a Wii2HDMI. They usually have all the pins on there.