Question Voltage Regulator, No Voltage Output...

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
Hey guys. This voltage regulator is gonna be the end of me lol I've had way more problems than I out to have had with it.

So I had to rewire the voltage regulator because almost all of the wires snapped (looks like the Flux I used corroded the stranded wire). After rewiring it, I have no voltage output on any of the pins. I have 12v at the input jack (see picture), but that's where it stops as far as I can tell.

The only other thing worth noting is one of the pads for ground lifted so I had to use the pin right behind the one I was using for ground.

Of course I've checked my wiring, checked for shorts, and I didn't see anything, but when checking resistance, two output pins didn't register on the multimeter at all, so I'm assuming those are open? Since everything looked good on the pin soldering, I looked underneath and it looks like there might be a missing resistor? I'm not familiar enough with the regulator to know for sure, so I thought I'd consult the pros. Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about:

IMG_20180703_204322-picsay.jpg

IMG_20180703_204920-picsay.jpg

Trozze

What is missing is most likely a ceramic capacitor (not a resistor); if you look to the right, it uses double ceramic capacitors to filter the other power rails.

EDIT: This thread has information about the GC powerboard, the pin you describe as "floating" is used for thermal protection.

Last edited:
Portables
Okay, both pins I circled (the thermal protection and the one under it) are "floating". Is that what's causing me not to have any voltage output? I looked over the link you sent, but I could only find a little info about the thermal protection lead on the regulator, nothing that seemed to help with the 0V output issue. And from what I understand, the thermal regulator is optional (however recommended) so that alone shouldn't make a difference on how the rest of the regulator operates, I think...

Portables
Okay, both pins I circled (the thermal protection and the one under it) are "floating". Is that what's causing me not to have any voltage output? I looked over the link you sent, but I could only find a little info about the thermal protection lead on the regulator, nothing that seemed to help with the 0V output issue. And from what I understand, the thermal regulator is optional (however recommended) so that alone shouldn't make a difference on how the rest of the regulator operates, I think...
I ordered a replacement regulator,but I'll continue to tinker with this one. Since I don't have a capacitor to put where the missing one is, could I just bridge the connection to complete the circuit? Not sure how much a missing capacitor will mess with the circuit.

Trozze

I ordered a replacement regulator,but I'll continue to tinker with this one. Since I don't have a capacitor to put where the missing one is, could I just bridge the connection to complete the circuit? Not sure how much a missing capacitor will mess with the circuit.
No!!! Don't short the power to ground!! It will work without the capacitor!

Portables
No!!! Don't short the power to ground!! It will work without the capacitor!
I didn't mean shorting it to ground, I didn't realize the capacitor was connected directly to ground. I don't know much but I do know you don't connect power directly to ground lol if it should work without the capacitor, I guess my problem must be something else. I'll keep looking into it.

Portables
Okay, I think I must be doing something wrong...So I go my new voltage regulator in the mail, I think it is a different version, but I believe it should still work just fine. Before I wired anything up, I hooked it up to the gamecube power supply to test my output voltages. But I'm getting zero across all output pins. So I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. If I take my multimeter and measure across the positive and ground coming into the voltage regulator input, I get 12V. Then I put the ground lead on the multimeter on the ground lead on the output pin and I put the positive lead on the other pins to measure voltage and I get nothing. I used this same technique to measure resistance (with power off) and most of the pins showed either 0 ohms or didn't register at all. Did I get a bad regulator or am I just dumb lol Here's a picture of the regulator I got and how I am trying to measure voltage:
Voltage Regulator.png

----Merge Post-----

Okay sorry to, um, triple post...ugh...but I think I can finally put this issue to bed. I got some help with @Madmorda offline and she pointed out that I had the polarity reversed on my power plug. The 12v I was measuring on the input for the regulator was actually -12v but I wasn't paying attention to the negative. I should have realized that.

Unfortunately both the regulators I have still aren't working, but they are probably fried at this point, so I'm going to get another one and make sure everything is good to go. I'll update with the result, but I'm pretty sure this case is closed. Until I have another problem lol

EDIT: After reading through some troubleshooting steps in Kasar's GCP guide, I noticed if the regulator isn't working it could have a blown fuse. I tried bypassing it and that got my regulator working. Unfortunately my gamecube mobo seems to have a short, so now I've got that to deal with, but at least the regulator is finally working.

Last edited: