Worklog Unnamed Pi 3 Portable

Going to make my first portable with a raspberry pi 3, I was gonna make my first portable with a Wii but I thought that this would be easier for first time.

Materials:

Heavily modified gameboy case
3ds sliders
Ds lite buttons
2500mAh li-ion battery
3.5 inch LCD

The rest of the items would be whatever I can find and or use to make this work

I already have started on the case here is a look if anyone wants to see it. It's a work in progress so it doesn't look that good

IMG_1416.JPG

Pay no attention to my sandals (I think that how you spell it , idk, I usually just say the Spanish word for it )

Okay so I realized I didn't have a start or select opening so I'm going to cut them later on today but I want to use the ds pcb for the start and select how would I cut the board and wire them

IMG_1417.JPG

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
If you want to cut out those buttons, you'll have to find a place you can solder wire to for them first. Use your multimeter and see where the traces from the buttons go. Make sure that they become connected only when you press that button. Then I recommend using a dremel to cut the board, and then sand the edges with sandpaper to make sure there are no shorts.

It would just be easier to solder some tact buttons onto a piece of perfboard though :P

If you want to cut out those buttons, you'll have to find a place you can solder wire to for them first. Use your multimeter and see where the traces from the buttons go. Make sure that they become connected only when you press that button. Then I recommend using a dremel to cut the board, and then sand the edges with sandpaper to make sure there are no shorts.

It would just be easier to solder some tact buttons onto a piece of perfboard though :P
I would solder tact buttons if I had small ones, the ones I have are too big for my taste

Edit: nvm I just bought some small ones
I'll work on the rest of the case until the buttons get here

Ok so I added the buttons (feels good in my hands) and sanded the case some more and opened up the area for the screen which needs some more work and I added a spot for the start and select
What color would look better for the case (when I paint it) with the black buttons?

(Again ignore my sandals )

IMG_1420.JPG

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ok so I added the buttons (feels good in my hands) and sanded the case some more and opened up the area for the screen which needs some more work and I added a spot for the start and select
What color would look better for the case (when I paint it) with the black buttons?

View attachment 6336
Personally, I like white with black buttons, but it's up to you really. You could try having a look at some online compliment/contrast swatches for ideas if you really can't decide.

So after a long long trial and error I finally was able to have my LCD run off 5v
For some reason it did not want to turn on even tho I soldered the wire to the correct spot. So I literally took off and put back on the same wires and somehow LCD decided to work
IMG_1421.JPG

Trozze

View attachment 6336
I think you should go with the Gray Super NES color scheme :)!

BocuD

Portables
That LCD looks quite nice actually! Do you have a link where you bought it?

Ok so update I'm painted the front and for a first build I'd say it's ok I would do a second one in the future but for now that's how I'm going to leave it

IMG_1427.JPG

Quick question since I'm using 3ds sliders do I need to put resistors on them or no?

Ok now is started wiring more things together and tr amount of wires is such mess wish I had a third hand

IMG_1430.JPG

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Btw, if you are using Pionette's software you won't need to put resistor's on the 3ds sliders.