Worklog PS2p -compo entry

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Here is my compo entry worklog (to be named). I'll save you from reading a long list of features that probably won't get finished so I'll just get right into the real progress.

Hacked up a 5" VGA Dalian driver board. It now uses ~1.82 watts powered from 5v. I was able to compare the efficiency of the onboard 5v regulator which is about 90% efficient stepping down from 7v, interesting. The driverboard plus components is less than 3mm thin which will come in handy.
screen.jpg

I am still early in the design phase and testing various joysticks. The PSVita sticks look equivalent to the RKJY sticks with rubber caps on them, not bad. They are rated for 5v but seem to work on 3.3v too. NSwitch Joysticks are also on my hit list to test soon. My backup plan is to use 3DS sliders.
20180510_085518.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I've been working on my PowerS2 board on and off for almost a year now. My latest pcb arrived, I populated it, and it seems like it will do the job. I'll be doing a lot of testing on it next week. It is suppose to do battery management, ps2 custom regulators, and possibly some other to be determined features.
20180526_152656.jpg

I guess it's not such a secret anymore so inside that spaghetti breadboard is a semi-functional PS2 controller emulator. Matthew, Dave, and I have been working on this together for about a week or so. It's been a pleasure working with them and this project has challenged me to grow my microcontroller knowledge and it is looking like it will be fully functioning soon.
20180526_153044.jpg

ahrlad

A PS2 controller emulator would be great! I saw on psx-scene I think they managed to make one out of a teensy 2.0, but they had it hooked up to a rpi to make it work as a bt adapter for the ds4 and such. I've had in mind to adapt it to read button inputs instead, but I'm much too lazy.

Which microcontroller is that, and how do you program it?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
What PIC are you using? I recently expanded a project to translate PS2 to N64 using what's probably exactly that - there's some good libraries you can use with assembly, although I'd imagine that the PIC chips might be getting a bit large by the time you've a pin for every button and axis?

Portables
What PIC are you using? I recently expanded a project to translate PS2 to N64 using what's probably exactly that - there's some good libraries you can use with assembly, although I'd imagine that the PIC chips might be getting a bit large by the time you've a pin for every button and axis?
The one in the picture is the PIC16f18875 40pin DIP package

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
My LM49450 digital audio amp for PS2. I made this pcb as a proof of concept before I integrate it into my controller board. I am happy that after taking a few measurements from the I2S ps2 audio, and guessing on some others, the code made sound first try :awesome:

20180611_134714.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Here's one of my favorite parts I've modeled. It's a harness piece that holds the ps2 down and a raspberry pi mounts on top. I included a little cutout in the battery compartment so I can grab the sd card (with tweezers of course) for software updates if needed. The addition of the RPI3 B+ made the case a few millimeters thicker but the benefit is that I can try out the superior ethernet loading method so it will be worth it.
20180621_183300.jpg
20180621_183323.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Here's one of my favorite parts I've modeled. It's a harness piece that holds the ps2 down and a raspberry pi mounts on top. I included a little cutout in the battery compartment so I can grab the sd card (with tweezers of course) for software updates if needed. The addition of the RPI3 B+ made the case a few millimeters thicker but the benefit is that I can try out the superior ethernet loading method so it will be worth it.
View attachment 6325
View attachment 6324
You can do eth loading with a nano if you want to make it thinner.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You can do eth loading with a nano if you want to make it thinner.
All the ports will be removed on it eventually, I'm basically limited by the thickness of the pcb and a few small components. The heatsink fits just in between the analog sticks so that's not a problem. I am disappointed that I will need to relocate the ethernet port somewhere because there are transformers inside the port.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
That rings a little bell in my head (and forgive me if this is wrong) but I was under the impression (from what I learnt something like fifteen years ago) that those magnetic transformers were only necessary for sending data long distances.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
All the ports will be removed on it eventually, I'm basically limited by the thickness of the pcb and a few small components. The heatsink fits just in between the analog sticks so that's not a problem. I am disappointed that I will need to relocate the ethernet port somewhere because there are transformers inside the port.
RIP. How much runtime are you estimating you'll lose from the Pi's draw?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
That rings a little bell in my head (and forgive me if this is wrong) but I was under the impression (from what I learnt something like fifteen years ago) that those magnetic transformers were only necessary for sending data long distances.
I would love if that were true. I'm having a hard time finding definitive results online. I don't think many users have a need for this.

RIP. How much runtime are you estimating you'll lose from the Pi's draw?
I'm using a 20700 battery which is around 15 watts. If the Pi uses ~1.7watts, then that's only 10% of the battery life lost. I will see if it is worth it or not. -I have confused the watts and watt/hrs. Bad example, oops

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I would love if that were true. I'm having a hard time finding definitive results online. I don't think many users have a need for this.
Just weren't looking for the right thing. Ethernet over a backplane connected over PCB ends is one use for this. I found a TI PDF about this topic, here are relevant screenshots:
Screenshot from 2018-06-22 15-30-55.png

Screenshot from 2018-06-22 15-40-27.png

TL;DR plop a 33nF cap between the two ethernet ends and you're good.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I will show you a little bit around my case.
The front:
I am not sold on the name "PS2 Razer" but it's not bad for now.
compo_front.png

The Back:
I am using a 20700 battery with battery clips and a snap in back door. I've printed all this out and it works wonderfully.
compo_back.png

The back door has a little lip that holds it in.
compo_feature.png

At this point the design is mostly done. I've reached the point where I can't improve anymore without doing some partial assemblies so that is what I am working on now.