Bus switches for controller switching

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Hi there,
Long story short I saw the Wii SP JacksonS made and I was wowed by the ability to cycle three different controller by the flick of a switch, I went through his worklog and I saw he used a bus switch to cycle between wiimote and classic controller (NGC seems pretty straight forward so I won't be asking any question about it)
I went through the documentation TI provides and I think I'm starting to understand but I wanted someone to make sure my understanding was correct.

Documentation for the [URL='http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74cbt6800c.pdf']SN74CBT6800C[/URL] seems to indicate that when power is fed through the ON pin, the switch is closed so I assume that by pushing power to the bus switch when the portable is in gamecube or sideway wiimote mode would prevent the classic controller from interfering with the other controller mode.

If my understanding is flawed or if someone recommend another bus switch or a pic I'd be happy to hear you out!

Thank you for your time,

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
So i've attempted before, and if you are doing it with a custom PCB, it's ass, and without one is Spaget wiring.
(Forgive mii for this pcb, it's horrible layout, bigger than needed, but it's an old version, and a good reminder we all start somewhere)
deopcb2.png

SO the way Bus switches work, Is that think of them like a bunch of regular switches, but as one, So they are all on, or they are all off, But they are always Powered during the operation.(while the wii is on) So you power the Buses with 5V(doesn't have to be exact) And The Button inputs go through the Bus switch, not the data lines, or Power, The button inputs themselves, the Analog sticks don't go through the Bus switch tho, you just leave those connected to the Classic controller and Gamecube controller.

So like Button Contacts go through the Bus switch, and then when you want the Controller on, you connect (on the bus switch that has the controller you want)2OE and 1OE to ground, Don't forget to put pullups on the OE Pins either.

So your understanding was wrong, But don't worry, I thought the same thing haha

@JacksonS Should be able to confirm or deny if this is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

JacksonS

Portables
Connecting multiple controllers can be tricky depending on what controllers you're using. Ideally, any controller has open-drain inputs on all the buttons, so connecting the data lines between all controllers should cause no issue and you should be able to switch a controller on/off by just cutting off power/data somehow.

However, I believe the Wiimote causes issues because its button input isn't quite like that. Maybe it uses a keyboard matrix type setup, but buttons normally don't short to ground when you press them. It does work fine when you short the buttons to ground, but it causes issues if the button lines are directly connected to any other controller. Hence the large bus switch for each controller just like @DeoNaught showed.

An alternative that I haven't tested is using the TR version Wiimote. This one uses a completely different input format in which buttons are pulled up and shorted to ground like normal. You may not need any bus switches with this Wiimote. You could instead just "disconnect" the GameCube controller by removing the pull-up on the data line and "disconnect" the Classic Controller by pulling the controller detect pin high.

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Connecting multiple controllers can be tricky depending on what controllers you're using. Ideally, any controller has open-drain inputs on all the buttons, so connecting the data lines between all controllers should cause no issue and you should be able to switch a controller on/off by just cutting off power/data somehow.

However, I believe the Wiimote causes issues because its button input isn't quite like that. Maybe it uses a keyboard matrix type setup, but buttons normally don't short to ground when you press them. It does work fine when you short the buttons to ground, but it causes issues if the button lines are directly connected to any other controller. Hence the large bus switch for each controller just like @DeoNaught showed.

An alternative that I haven't tested is using the TR version Wiimote. This one uses a completely different input format in which buttons are pulled up and shorted to ground like normal. You may not need any bus switches with this Wiimote. You could instead just "disconnect" the GameCube controller by removing the pull-up on the data line and "disconnect" the Classic Controller by pulling the controller detect pin high.
very very informative, thank you, I'll go hunt for a TR remote then so I can avoid the hassle the extra bus switches.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I
very very informative, thank you, I'll go hunt for a TR remote then so I can avoid the hassle the extra bus switches.
I believe TR remotes are Just the ones with Wiiremote plus ones, atleast that's what I found with my research

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
that's correct =) they're easy to find on craigslist/kijiji so at least the hunt won't be long!

I also have a third party mad catz that I bought to play skyward sword (no store had official any motion plus left =O) I might test with this one first, i'll report my finding!

JacksonS

Portables
Be careful, not all Wiimote+ models are TR versions. There might be some way to tell with the serial number on the back but I'm not sure.

I also have a third party mad catz that I bought to play skyward sword (no store had official any motion plus left =O) I might test with this one first, i'll report my finding!
3rd party controllers are probably safer anyway in terms of having a normal button input format.