Portablizing BOM

Portables
Does anyone have any info on why the 3.5" screen in the list doesn't seem to have any menu adjustment buttons? Didn't realize that there weren't any on it until yesterday. Not really a huge deal, I just found that odd that there wasn't any.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Does anyone have any info on why the 3.5" screen in the list doesn't seem to have any menu adjustment buttons? Didn't realize that there weren't any on it until yesterday. Not really a huge deal, I just found that odd that there wasn't any.
Probably so it's as cheap as possible. I never had any problems with the lack of menu controls on mine. The default settings are pretty good

Since @Stitches didn't post it yet I guess Ill do it. This is the link to the Eyoyo 5" lcd with YPbPr component in. Its a very nice screen, very bright and not cloudy at all. I can recommend it to anyone who has the money for it, even when not using it in a portable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eyoyo-5-Sm...r-Rear-View-Security-16-9-for-PC/232529903093
Hey, so would you happen to know how to input YPBPR into this screen? I'm not seeing it anywhere in the documentation, but I can definitely switch inputs to YPBPR.

ahrlad

Not sure if somebody else has used it, but I found this cheap amplifier board using the LM4863 chip:

It pumps out 3+3w, and can be run off 5v (or possibly less), and it's got a headphone mode that kicks in when plugging the phones in. No volume control though, you'll have to wire up a wheel pot or similar.

Can be found off aliexpress for about $2-$5 each or so, from here for example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/amp...d-2x3W-dual-channel-hifi-amp/32835843743.html

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@ahrlad that's a really good find! If someone can order some, test to confirm they work well, and let me know, I would totally add those to the BOM.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Not sure if somebody else has used it, but I found this cheap amplifier board using the LM4863 chip:

It pumps out 3+3w, and can be run off 5v (or possibly less), and it's got a headphone mode that kicks in when plugging the phones in. No volume control though, you'll have to wire up a wheel pot or similar.

Can be found off aliexpress for about $2-$5 each or so, from here for example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/amp...d-2x3W-dual-channel-hifi-amp/32835843743.html
@ahrlad that's a really good find! If someone can order some, test to confirm they work well, and let me know, I would totally add those to the BOM.
Ordered a few, if this works it'll be a nice simple solution to the age old "how do headphones?" question.

ahrlad

I've ordered a couple and tried them out, so I can confirm that the HP switch function works when plugging the phones in. They sound not-too-bad hooked up to a couple Wii u Speakers, though the max volume's not very high. If anyone has any specific tests in mind I could probably give them a try.

The chip's available as a DIP as well (for cheap-as-free) so it could easily be used in custom designs as well, the circuit's pretty simple.

Edit: the datasheet says it can do 2.2w+2.2w into a 4 ohm load.

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
I just ordered some as well. They look great. Now let's hope they perform..

Portables
I’m excited to hear if they’re good or not. I’ve been looking for an amplifier board with a headphone jack for my portable, as the amplifier board that I have that came with the speaker doesn’t have one.
Still, how would volume control be wired to that board? I’m pretty new to all this stuff.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I’m excited to hear if they’re good or not. I’ve been looking for an amplifier board with a headphone jack for my portable, as the amplifier board that I have that came with the speaker doesn’t have one.
Still, how would volume control be wired to that board? I’m pretty new to all this stuff.
You'd have to use a stereo wheel pot to control the volume before it gets to the amp.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
6point2inch.png

There is a 6.2 inch screen right in the middle of the BOM that does exactly what you want. Using one from a DVD player is much more effort than its worth, and most of the time doesn't work out.

BocuD

Portables
I got my amps a few days ago. The audio quality is pretty good and it switches as expected
For volume ad a 10k stereo pot between each audio input and gnd, that should do it. The Amps are ginormous though, and trimming off the 4 connectors on the side and the parts pcb they're on is a good idea.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
The Magnet wire has gone up in price by like two dollars, it has been for while, I know cause this is like the third time i've gone to order, but haven't because I don't have enough yet.

Portables
Hello,

I'm new here (obviously) and am working on building a OMGWTF Wii in a Wii U Gamepad portable for GameCube purposes.

My question is, does anybody have a recommended fan+heatsink combo for a Wii? I did a search in the forums for "heatsink" and haven't found a thread dedicated to tried and true heatsinks+fans and noticed nothing of the sort is listed in the BOM.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Hello,

I'm new here (obviously) and am working on building a OMGWTF Wii in a Wii U Gamepad portable for GameCube purposes.

My question is, does anybody have a recommended fan+heatsink combo for a Wii? I did a search in the forums for "heatsink" and haven't found a thread dedicated to tried and true heatsinks+fans and noticed nothing of the sort is listed in the BOM.
In jeff's wii thread https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/jeffs-assortment-of-various-models.1657/
he used a OMGWTF Trimmed Wii using a 35x35x10mm fan and heatsink which I believe is what alot of people use here.

Last edited:

Frigid

Relatively dumb bump, but I've been referencing this thread a lot in the past couple days since coming here and the main post has some broken links. Also I was curious if the board referenced by @ahrlad was deemed worthy of being added or not