Worklog PS2p: 3 years Hiatus... Comeback!

cfc_12

Portables
Do 18650B Panasonic Batteries drain on its own if you won't use it for weeks?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Do 18650B Panasonic Batteries drain on its own if you won't use it for weeks?
Batteries cannot hold a charge indefinitely, over time they will slowly discharge on their own
But that "over time" is many months to years. Ideally, you should leave the battery almost fully charged if you plan to not use it for a long time.

cfc_12

Portables
Why is it that after charging for more than 7 hours

I was able to test if for like less than 20 mins

Then it will just shut down on its own.

Is it because of the battery?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Why is it that after charging for more than 7 hours

I was able to test if for like less than 20 mins

Then it will just shut down on its own.

Is it because of the battery?
It could be the battery, protection PCB, or charger that's faulty. Can you check the protection PCB's output pads and the individual batteries with a multimeter and post the readings?

cfc_12

Portables
Is it ok if I followed the original position of the fan of how Sony designed it?

Does that not affect the battery life?

(the heatsink is under the controller)

inside.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Is it ok if I followed the original position of the fan of how Sony designed it?

Does that not affect the battery life?

(the heatsink is under the controller)

View attachment 5401
I see several red flags in your construction.
1. There is not a good airflow path between fan intake and exhaust. Hot air will fill the portable and melt all the hot glue.
2. You should use epoxy to support the buttons, the hot glue is going to fail. It appears like you used bondo as an epoxy substitute, not good idea either.
3. I see a floating resistor with long leads. You should cover with electric tape to avoid a short.
4. Next time I recommend securing the controller on the top half of the portable. The wires will be shorter and neater. You should atleast support the wire somehow, maybe some adhesive just after the solder joint. The 32awg wire will break off after several times opening and closing the portable.

Jonny

your work is awesome! can you post a picture of how you wired your disc drive? Im working on one myself and am trying to include a disc drive as well.

cfc_12

Portables
I'm using Fusion 360 (30 Days free trial)

How do I export my file for it to be ready to be 3d printed?

There's no .stl in the options

Untitled.png

Untite.png

cfc_12

Portables
Do I need to fix the view of this?

It's currently in bottom right view

I'm worried that it wouldn't be printed properly since when I press the front view, it shows the side view of the model

Capt.PNG

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Do I need to fix the view of this?

It's currently in bottom right view

I'm worried that it wouldn't be printed properly since when I press the front view, it shows the side view of the model

View attachment 7845
When you bring it into cura or whatever slicer you're using you'll be able to check actual dimensions, and if it looks correct before you print it. If not, you can just rotate it before slicing.

cfc_12

Portables
When you bring it into cura or whatever slicer you're using you'll be able to check actual dimensions, and if it looks correct before you print it. If not, you can just rotate it before slicing.
so the view doesn't really matter if I just print it directly?

I didn't check it, after using Fusion 360, I highlighted all then export it as stl file

cheese

Staff member
so the view doesn't really matter if I just print it directly?

I didn't check it, after using Fusion 360, I highlighted all then export it as stl file
the angle shouldn't matter on the STL, as long as you slice it with the bottom on the bottom. I'd suggest double checking in a gcode viewer before printing, but whatever you slice is how it will come out.

cfc_12

Portables
The ps2p shuts down after playing for 17 minutes (from full charged battery), I charged the battery for 10h 40m

Is it possible for a battery to not yet fully charged yet the charger displays green light indicating that it's fully charged?

I have 2 pcs. of Panasonic 18650B which is 3400 mAh each which totals to 6800 mAh

I'm not sure if it the battery that I bought is original.

I used iMax b6 charger to discharge each cell.

When I start to discharge each cell, they both started at 3.41V

So does this mean the charger is faulty because it can't even fully charged two cells (6.82V) to 8.4V?

cheese

Staff member
3.41v is pretty low for "fully charged"... I'd say check to make sure the charger is made for this chemistry and is set to the right settings.