Worklog The Ultimate Portable

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are way too many things I could say but there is no point in kindling the fire even more. Quite the interesting display on my page. There’s unnecessary attacks toward me, my family, and my school for wanting to vote for me in the contest. I’m not sorry for the people that love me. There’s accusations of lying, cheating, and stealing. Things like I’m cocky, in it for the “thrill of benjamins,” that quote made me laugh the most of all because it was the most wrong.

I started building over a decade ago and I chose not to try and become part of a community because of two reasons. I didn’t want to be consumed by threads like those displayed on my entry page, and there were many other aspects, opportunities, and interests I wanted to pursue in my life that have no time for back and forth back and forth forum hate where more people get pissed off from it. These matters are never private when posted online and become more petty, more juvenile, and spread to other sites. It’s sad, some never leave middle school. Reality check, people are going to see and use the information posted on public forums, and claiming it as stealing, even when credited, is just plain stupid. If that’s the case then portablizemii needs bootmii and homebrew to install and the definitive wii trimming guide promotes hacking the wii to download illegal roms to play in your hands and not use discs. Team Twiizers and Nintendo can easily call the Portablizemii team out if this is the case. After all, we are hacking existing technology and making our own adaptations that we deem as improvements.

I was always in this for the builds and wanting to make cool things with video games, and show my friends and family there was more to just playing them; and I don’t mean only showing my builds off. Perfect example during this contest. Some thought it was suspicious with the rise in votes but it was only advertising myself, the Hack like Heck contest, element 14, and even BitBuilt and my competitor in the contest SS’s portable after such hate was expressed toward me. My professors showed videos from the contest to the classes here at my University and related them to everyday engineering to inspire students’ creativity and engineering as a whole. I love that people love this stuff.

Think a bit differently. I did find some things out on my own over the past years building portables, but that doesn’t mean I’m claiming it as my never before seen discovery. For portable 64’s I thought I was the first to RCP wire the cartridge slot, but I found photos of others that have already after I did it. Doesn’t mean I can’t be proud I found it out on my own first without seeing it done before. And that doesn’t mean everything I’ve done was without help in some form. Lately, I reversed and RCP board bent the cartridge slot (what I call it), which could’ve been done before too, I honestly don’t know and spending hours and hours of my limited time online seeing if someone did it first is a waste to me, because I’d rather build or do other activities that interest me in that time. SS told me his advice to just not give a fuck and help people, I just didn't gave a fuck and wanted to build! And that’s a message to everyone either starting out or claimed as a master at the art you pursue. Whether you’re good or bad at it, have others against you or with you, or have failed and try to abandon projects, never stop doing what you love and makes you happy. Stay confident and uplifting through it all, and the best will sure follow.

I wanted to contribute to Bitbuilt, whether I have info now or wanted to press for the future, but seeing the display over the past 2 weeks makes me think it is best to go back to what it was before I was known on here. Thanks to those for the constructive criticism and even those with harsh biased opinions. Either way, both will be used to help better myself, better future builds, and as inspiration to learn. This political mess should be behind us so we can get back to what we love to do, and I’m sorry to those that were negatively affected. Think of me as you wish.

Goodbye BitBuilt

last work log ever on here, and incomplete...nice.

I know it's called the Ultimate portable even with a trim deemed basic by Aurelio, but ease up! It's my first Portable Wii, and a prototype, I got 95% of what I wanted to accomplished so I'm happy about it.
20180401_143520.jpg

20180401_143537.jpg

20180401_143550.jpg

20180401_143604.jpg

20180401_143819.jpg

Teaser on Element 14 : https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-89071/l/hack-like-heck-mills-dj

Specs

Holds built in movies, tv shows, music, games, and apps like Netflix and internet. (wii stuff)
7 inch "touch" screen (still in works)
WiFi
Bluetooth (Connects wiimotes and Bluetooth controllers)
Rechargeable
3 Speakers (WiiMote Speaker)
Wii motion control
Battery life is 6 Hours
5v Fan and heatsink for cooling
Painted 3D Printed Case
2 USB ports
Built in 2 TeraByte Harddrive
Built in SD Card
Built in Gamecube Memory Card (for giggles)
Internal Clock (menu music linked)
Custom menu for game selection
Menu music originally composed (chipmusic)
4 Controllers Built in
Screen/audio controls
Headphone jack
Low power indication
Wii sensor bar built in
Hibernation mode
Control box put for 4 external players and tv output
Stylish curves
User manual for Software
User manual for Hardware (how to operate the buttons and things and stuff)

Controllers in /Controls on portable

Gamecube
Wiimote
Nunchuck
Wii Classic controller pro
….
Reset Button
Wii Bluetooth Sync
GameCube style joystick
6 shoulder buttons (TRIGGERED)
3ds slider C stick
wii sensor bar

...you can also attach or sync... keyboards, a mouse, usb, bluetooth controllers, usb controllers and such

Game systems that can be played on the portable!

Wii
GameCube
N64
Virtual Boy
SNES
NES
Famicom
PC engine
Turbo graphx
Turbo duo
Vectrex
Sega Cd
32x
Genesis
Master System
SG-1000
Atari 2600
XL
ST
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy color
Original Gameboy
Neo geo pocket
Wonderswan
Gamegear
Cavestory
Colecovision
Creativision
Intelvision
Odyssey
Odyssey 2
MAME
Retro Arch
Neo geo
Neo geo CD
Capcom play system 1
Capcom play system 2
PlayStation 1
MSX
MSX 2
Sinclair zx spectrum
Commodore 64
Tandy color Computer
ScummVM
Amstrad
Amiga
Apple 2
Dragon 32
Vg 5000

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I have a few questions regarding this system.

First of all, you have a 7 inch touchscreen, but what does it do?

How do you switch between the various controller options?

This is an interesting build, but like Ratchet Russian said some of your design choices do seem odd.

I have a few questions regarding this system.

First of all, you have a 7 inch touchscreen, but what does it do?

How do you switch between the various controller options?

This is an interesting build, but like Ratchet Russian said some of your design choices do seem odd.
I edited it so it's "touch" I want something like JacksonS's touchMii but I couldn't get it figured out before the contest deadline.

On the top left there are 2 switches, the left switches from gamecube to wiimote, and once wiimote is on, theres a 3 way switch that goes from nunchuck + wiimote, wiimote ( horizontal ), and classic controller pro.

Oh yea definitely odd, this is the 1st wii portable so I have to check some stuff out, I built this before I started looking around on BitBuilt so changes must be made. that disc drive board HAS. GOT. TO. GO.

I'll get more info on the whole project uploaded, which some photos, later this week

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I have so many questions that I will just avoid asking any

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I like the concept, but the ways things were done....
Pretty good though, Some tips.

Use portablizemii, Gets rid of Dd(I think you know though)
Use bus switches for your four controllers, makes stuff way easier. (I can help you on this front)
use an Ssd, or a big usb stick, you move that hdd, and all your stuff is gone.

Question, why SIX triggers?
and what are the buttons right under the screen?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I built this before I started looking around on BitBuilt so changes must be made.

There are two things in this picture that give you away as a liar.

The first is your U10 relocation; it's 1:1 with our guide. I would be willing to let that slide as "great minds think alike" but the MX wiring is also a problem. If you were doing this on your own, you would not relocate the same 4 wires that we do, but also the others. There is no real documentation as to what they do, aside from Wiibrew and what is posted here. Even if you had looked at the Wiibrew, you would be also wiring pin 15, since it's also listed as EXI like the others. But it is left unconnected in the picture.

Here on BitBuilt, we are the masters of Wii portablizing. You can't pretend that you came up with this stuff yourself. You can change your story, but maybe it is better to just admit you were trying to pull a fast one and nobody would notice?

There are two things in this picture that give you away as a liar.

The first is your U10 relocation; it's 1:1 with our guide. I would be willing to let that slide as "great minds think alike" but the MX wiring is also a problem. If you were doing this on your own, you would not relocate the same 4 wires that we do, but also the others. There is no real documentation as to what they do, aside from Wiibrew and what is posted here. Even if you had looked at the Wiibrew, you would be also wiring pin 15, since it's also listed as EXI like the others. But it is left unconnected in the picture.

Here on BitBuilt, we are the masters of Wii portablizing. You can't pretend that you came up with this stuff yourself. You can change your story, but maybe it is better to just admit you were trying to pull a fast one and nobody would notice?
wow, I knew you hated me for something Aurelio, that's why you were ripping on my element 14 post about my project. Calm down a bit, and I want to clear things up because I never intended to "pull a fast one" or take credit for anything I didn't do. I don't know where you got the idea that i "came up with this stuff myself." I saw pics of relocating the mx and u10 on google. I did see that it was linked to the definitive Wii trimming guide here but I didn't look at it in detail like I am as of today since you told me to check it out on Element 14, That's why I said I had the up most respect and props to this community. I joined here a bit ago but never posted anything, only asked JacksonS about his Touchmii cause I thought it was awesome. and awhile back I emailed gman about a wii portable he made and about the disc drive removal and the OMGWTF trim . he said about using portablizemii but I wanted systems like vectrex, ZX Spectrum, MSX, and more that only wiiflow seems to have in one interface, plus I took a liking to the set up and source menu.

I make chipmusic on gameboys and a few years ago I had 2 people try to steal a few of my original compositions, so I understand the defensive call out toward me. I apologize if I came across this way, but it was never my intention. Again, I'm very new at forums and am trying to understand the rules of the site as well. I wish to resolve this and establish any credit for where it is due on any of my Wiisearch or Hack like Heck video submission; and patch up any dispute between you and I and anyone else I may have offended.

I like the concept, but the ways things were done....
Pretty good though, Some tips.

Use portablizemii, Gets rid of Dd(I think you know though)
Use bus switches for your four controllers, makes stuff way easier. (I can help you on this front)
use an Ssd, or a big usb stick, you move that hdd, and all your stuff is gone.

Question, why SIX triggers?
and what are the buttons right under the screen?
Thanks!
Yeah, I do know portablizemii gets rid of the disc drive but I really wanted wiiflow. Is there a way to Install Portablizemii to get rid of the dd but still have it autoboot to wiiflow? I really like the set up I customized for Wiiflow, later after the semester ends I'll see what customization I can do for portablizemii to suit me better.

I already changed my Solidworks design for this portable to have bus switches, that'll be prototype 2 eventually, nice to know I got that feedback to change it too.

When you say move do you mean transfer files or like moving the system like if I'm playing Mario Galaxy and I shake it, it may delete everything? I haven't had this problem yet, but the forewarning will make me more cautious.
6 triggers cause of the 4 controllers and their different settings. an example is I have the nunchuck and wiimote shake dedicated to the 2 tact buttons, (left and right respectively) and then C and Z to the white triggers, but for gamecube controller I wanted the same as the gamecube with the dual press.

Screen buttons are -,+, menu, power, back, and Volume down, up.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Imagine being so lazy that your research for "The Ultimate Portable" ends at the first page of google images.

Anyways dude I'm having a hard time believing any of what you've posted. It'd be one thing if you made this excuse for a portable Wii without access to the internet, but you were fully aware of BitBuilt and modern Wii portablizing, and chose to willfully ignore our efforts because you couldn't figure out how to get emulators working in PortablizeMii. If these are the efforts of someone who's been "portablizing since he was 8 years old" then I am not impressed.

If I could offer some real advice, I would heavily reconsider being part of the community if you think this kind of crap is acceptable. You have a massive ego with sub-par build quality, and as someone who's 100% been there before, it doesn't end well. BitBuilt is a nice place and doesn't need that bullshit.

Finally, putting out unit after unit without noticeable improvement paints the picture of someone doing this for money. So the "respect the community" line comes across more as a "thanks for padding my wallet" thing. At least in my opinion.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm gonna sidestep the politics here and say you did a pretty good job for a first Wii portable. There are definitely many questionable practices visible, but it's a good point to start from. I'd very much like to see proof of this 6 hour battery life, though, since I'm aiming for that figure with my current project and I wanted to be first D:

One other question, what's up with the heatsink, or lack thereof. In the E14 thread it looks like you've just got two bits of aluminium sheet there. Even though you've used a cooler 4 layer, I worry about a possible (literal) meltdown.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Objective stuff first :P
Yeah, I do know portablizemii gets rid of the disc drive but I really wanted wiiflow. Is there a way to Install Portablizemii to get rid of the dd but still have it autoboot to wiiflow? I really like the set up I customized for Wiiflow, later after the semester ends I'll see what customization I can do for portablizemii to suit me better.
In theory it's possible, we had a decent number of issues with it to the point that we ended up going with postloader. We are also in the process of rewriting a decent amount of the software to better fit a portablizer's needs. If you can get it to boot into neek2o for wiiware and wii titles, you should be fine without the dd for all other homebrew and such. However, there is a guide for adding new emulators, which can be used along with a quick google search for what to put in to get everything working in postloader.

When you say move do you mean transfer files or like moving the system like if I'm playing Mario Galaxy and I shake it, it may delete everything? I haven't had this problem yet, but the forewarning will make me more cautious.
This is an issue with hard drives, since they have high speed spinning platters, they aren't really made for any kind of shock like a swing or shake. Laptop hard drives are a little more resiliant, but they can easily have issues. Once the heads in the drive hit the platters, your drive, and the data, are toast. At that point, you'd have to send it to someone like drivesavers, along with ~1500$, to get anything back. Since SSDs don't have any moving parts, they can be shaken all over with no damage (flash drives are essentially tiny SSDs).

On to the more subjective stuff,

wow, I knew you hated me for something Aurelio, that's why you were ripping on my element 14 post about my project. Calm down a bit, and I want to clear things up because I never intended to "pull a fast one" or take credit for anything I didn't do. I don't know where you got the idea that i "came up with this stuff myself." I saw pics of relocating the mx and u10 on google. I did see that it was linked to the definitive Wii trimming guide here but I didn't look at it in detail like I am as of today since you told me to check it out on Element 14, That's why I said I had the up most respect and props to this community. I joined here a bit ago but never posted anything, only asked JacksonS about his Touchmii cause I thought it was awesome. and awhile back I emailed gman about a wii portable he made and about the disc drive removal and the OMGWTF trim . he said about using portablizemii but I wanted systems like vectrex, ZX Spectrum, MSX, and more that only wiiflow seems to have in one interface, plus I took a liking to the set up and source menu.

I make chipmusic on gameboys and a few years ago I had 2 people try to steal a few of my original compositions, so I understand the defensive call out toward me. I apologize if I came across this way, but it was never my intention. Again, I'm very new at forums and am trying to understand the rules of the site as well. I wish to resolve this and establish any credit for where it is due on any of my Wiisearch or Hack like Heck video submission; and patch up any dispute between you and I and anyone else I may have offended.
Aurelio doesn't have anything against you, he's just being honest. Our trimming guide with a much smaller and easier trim has been public since April of 2016. Similarly with PM being around since July of 2016. Your bold assertion that your trim (or any of your system) is "ultimate" is at best extremely misguided. Sure, you can launch plenty of emulators of varying quality to play games you've probably never heard of, nor will ever play, but for any emulator not natively supported by PM's postloader (which you can quite easily add new systems), you can easily launch any homebrew through the homebrew section.

Additionally, the wording of your post both here and on e14 strongly suggest that you had minimal to no help from outside sources (which would include BB). Things like "my self taught abilities" give the impression that you know it all already and didn't need to use guides from other people. Us being the people who put the literal months of our lives into reverse-engineering nearly the entire system, finding the best shape for beginners and experienced modders alike, writing software to replace hard-to-relocate hardware, writing guides, and building an entire software package to make the process simple, etc, don't enjoy our work being used (and in this case, profited on) without some kind of credit.

You yourself said that you had issues with people stealing your work, so you should well know the position we are in right now. Everyone with the blue PM banner was on the team that made both the PM software and the trim associated with it. To put my position in perspective, I personally did most of the work associated with removing/replacing the MX with software along with pinning out the chip to find which pins were needed for what purpose.

While I'm not gonna force you to do anything, but I will strongly suggest you do something if you would like good standing with administration (most of which is on the PM team) and the members of the site.

Last edited:
Imagine being so lazy that your research for "The Ultimate Portable" ends at the first page of google images.

Anyways dude I'm having a hard time believing any of what you've posted. It'd be one thing if you made this excuse for a portable Wii without access to the internet, but you were fully aware of BitBuilt and modern Wii portablizing, and chose to willfully ignore our efforts because you couldn't figure out how to get emulators working in PortablizeMii. If these are the efforts of someone who's been "portablizing since he was 8 years old" then I am not impressed.

If I could offer some real advice, I would heavily reconsider being part of the community if you think this kind of crap is acceptable. You have a massive ego with sub-par build quality, and as someone who's 100% been there before, it doesn't end well. BitBuilt is a nice place and doesn't need that bullshit.

Finally, putting out unit after unit without noticeable improvement paints the picture of someone doing this for money. So the "respect the community" line comes across more as a "thanks for padding my wallet" thing. At least in my opinion.
I eventually did figure out portablizemii with that help but I chose wiiflow instead because of all the systems it can house. lazy is a strong word considering the work that I've been doing here at school and the other efforts i put in for projects. I have alot of hobbies and interests and can't keep track or do all of them everyday so my time is pressed. Another reason why I didn't want to join a community in the first place since its another to add to my plate. and alot of those portables 64s we modified internally to see how I can make one in the fastest time possible, even in one sitting.

I remember a very long time ago I saw some of the mods you made on youtube SS, made me want to build more. I posted to youtube and facebook for things i made for fun, now the masters of wii portabilizing are insulting ego and framing me for stealing their work. Obviously we got off on the wrong foot and i can't see anything turning into constructive criticism or even some acceptance to BitBuilt from the legendary members. I read the rules of the site, and the whole "dont post anything negative" is not being portrayed since my portables are being bashed in my first worklog. I'm willing to be apart of the community and learn, but not if a grudge like this stands. If you've been there before, then what changed to make you get to the point you're at now? Either way, sorry if you don't believe me. I'll credit the BitBuilt team appropriately anyway, whether I'm on here or not, but if you want to ban me or for me to leave then I will.

-merge-

side step from the politics, Thanks for the help and ideas to better the system for the next build, i appreciate it.

-merge-

I'm gonna sidestep the politics here and say you did a pretty good job for a first Wii portable. There are definitely many questionable practices visible, but it's a good point to start from. I'd very much like to see proof of this 6 hour battery life, though, since I'm aiming for that figure with my current project and I wanted to be first D:

One other question, what's up with the heatsink, or lack thereof. In the E14 thread it looks like you've just got two bits of aluminium sheet there. Even though you've used a cooler 4 layer, I worry about a possible (literal) meltdown.

Thanks man, yea i want to post everything about it later this week but theres alot going on, big tests and projects due the next 2 days, in the library currently studying but also trying to resolve this whole thing here. I have the fan too, and theres more than 2! hard to see on the photo. and 6 hour battery life is a estimate, I watched 2 movies, 3 episodes of hey arnold, ( played in the background while i was working on a music video project), and then played smash 64 for quite a bit. i should say 5 to 6 hours or so, but it never died before i started recharging it. i used 10Ah li pos

-merge-

Objective stuff first :P

In theory it's possible, we had a decent number of issues with it to the point that we ended up going with postloader. We are also in the process of rewriting a decent amount of the software to better fit a portablizer's needs. If you can get it to boot into neek2o for wiiware and wii titles, you should be fine without the dd for all other homebrew and such. However, there is a guide for adding new emulators, which can be used along with a quick google search for what to put in to get everything working in postloader.

This is an issue with hard drives, since they have high speed spinning platters, they aren't really made for any kind of shock like a swing or shake. Laptop hard drives are a little more resiliant, but they can easily have issues. Once the heads in the drive hit the platters, your drive, and the data, are toast. At that point, you'd have to send it to someone like drivesavers, along with ~1500$, to get anything back. Since SSDs don't have any moving parts, they can be shaken all over with no damage (flash drives are essentially tiny SSDs).

On to the more subjective stuff,

Aurelio doesn't have anything against you, he's just being honest. Our trimming guide with a much smaller and easier trim has been public since April of 2016. Similarly with PM being around since July of 2016. Your bold assertion that your trim (or any of your system) is "ultimate" is at best extremely misguided. Sure, you can launch plenty of emulators of varying quality to play games you've probably never heard of, nor will ever play, but for any emulator not natively supported by PM's postloader (which you can quite easily add new systems), you can easily launch any homebrew through the homebrew section.

Additionally, the wording of your post both here and on e14 strongly suggest that you had minimal to no help from outside sources (which would include BB). Things like "my self taught abilities" give the impression that you know it all already and didn't need to use guides from other people. Us being the people who put the literal months of our lives into reverse-engineering nearly the entire system, finding the best shape for beginners and experienced modders alike, writing software to replace hard-to-relocate hardware, writing guides, and building an entire software package to make the process simple, etc, don't enjoy our work being used (and in this case, profited on) without some kind of credit.

You yourself said that you had issues with people stealing your work, so you should well know the position we are in right now. Everyone with the blue PM banner was on the team that made both the PM software and the trim associated with it. To put my position in perspective, I personally did most of the work associated with removing/replacing the MX with software along with pinning out the chip to find which pins were needed for what purpose.

While I'm not gonna force you to do anything, but I will strongly suggest you do something if you would like good standing with administration (most of which is on the PM team) and the members of the site.
self taught i say as my school district didnt have anything related to soldering or dismantling hardware classes. I do understand the position you are in, that's why I'm trying to credit where credit is due, I see i have made some sort of mistake to have alot of members call me out so I want to fix that. and I credited software modifiers and creators of wiiflow with the master mod pak and source menu editor, I mentioned nothing about hardware at all in the intent post because i was releasing all that in the final video.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I eventually did figure out portablizemii with that help but I chose wiiflow instead because of all the systems it can house.
>still literally the same amount

Anyways I don't have a grudge, you've just made a terrible first impression.

If you want to know the secret to success, the trick is to stop giving a fuck, and start doing things to help people.

>still literally the same amount

Anyways I don't have a grudge, you've just made a terrible first impression.

If you want to know the secret to success, the trick is to stop giving a fuck, and start doing things to help people.
I should word that as how it houses systems too, like the page set up i customized in the pictures above i love. but getting back to portablizemii will include some dabbling.

wait, if you dont give a fuck then shouldnt that mean not helping people? I understand what you mean but that could be confusing.

after all this I hope were good PM team, I promise to right those wrongs with this whole situation. When my final project video gets released ill be sure to fix any uncredited sources and fix any wordings in the description if it says something along the lines of it being done by me only when there was guide help and such. Hoping we can start over

*leaves room
*enters room
"oh hey, new guy"
"yeah hi I'm Andy, my wording is terrible on some things just fyi"

----merge posts---

wew laddy 4x posts merged
sorry, I'd say this is the most typing I've done the past week but last week I wrote a 12 page research paper for this product were mass producing for the school in about 8 hours ( product isnt a portable ).

Last edited by a moderator:

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Hey Mills!

I’m going to sidestep all of the political stuff because... well, because I’m just some guy trying to do my part to make this community as positive and welcoming as possible and I think that you’ve been remarkable at taking a lot of criticism as graciously as possible.

Having said that, I think your portable looks nice and clean! It looks somewhat industrial but otherwise I can’t identify any sort of “theme”, which I suppose is pretty fitting for a multi-system portable. I’ve not checked out your E14 page yet but I’ll have to go take a look.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I don’t hate you (nor anyone else tbh), but I had to make few things clear. Check the community and the projects made by other modders to have a grasp of what we have achieved in the past few years and we’re good

Status
Not open for further replies.