Worklog EknonCo's PS2 Portable! (I'm a noob, pls help)

Well just off the top you're probably gonna have a hard time getting it to turn on with only a 7.4 volt battery

Well just off the top you're probably gonna have a hard time getting it to turn on with only a 7.4 volt battery
Ah crud, yeah it says it needs 10-30 volts right? Is there a way to make it work or is this screen useless to me?

Since it's an automotive product the 12 volt requirement may just be a standardized input that gets dropped lower once inside the screen, so you may be able to run it on lower voltages, hi def pics of the main board would help in determining this.

Otherwise you could try doing a higher voltage battery setup, or even use a step up transformer

Last edited:
Can you get a close up of the SOIC-8 just above the power input? Also can we have a pic of the back of the board as well?

No luck, I can't seem to get it to power on. I went back and checked the eBay page for it and it says "Power Supply: DC 6-32V" so that's kinda sketchy. Don't know if it's a faulty unit or faulty batteries...or I'm just doing it wrong? lol, The power button isn't even marked so I'm kinda just pressing all the buttons in hopes of it turning on.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
No luck, I can't seem to get it to power on. I went back and checked the eBay page for it and it says "Power Supply: DC 6-32V" so that's kinda sketchy. Don't know if it's a faulty unit or faulty batteries...or I'm just doing it wrong? lol, The power button isn't even marked so I'm kinda just pressing all the buttons in hopes of it turning on.
Some ebay screens will not awake unless there is a video source connected

Some ebay screens will not awake unless there is a video source connected
Ah, okay I'll try it with something connected.

EDIT: Still nothing. Maybe I need to try something like this? I don't really know what the guy is saying to do but it sounds promising haha.

Also, I wonder if my batteries aren't charged? These are the ones I bought. How would I go about charging them?

That only outputs 1A, you need a bit more than that. That clerk needs to learn his shit.... This is the kind of regulator you want for the 6v mod https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/PTH08080WAD/296-32715-ND/1573678 . You'll also need a 16v 100uf capacitor and a 330ohm resistor to make it output 5v.
what about the other voltages. what ohm would you need to power the ps2 after trimming cant find it anywhere. maybe its just me being slow.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
what about the other voltages. what ohm would you need to power the ps2 after trimming cant find it anywhere. maybe its just me being slow.
1623222348441.png

Go to page 7, the table there has a list of commonly used voltages. If you need one outside that list, there's a formula to work it out in the paragraph above the table. Keep in mind that the 1.75v line should be powered by a linear regulator for stability, and the PTH08080 is not sufficient to power the 1.25v line. You'll need a more powerful reg, like a PTR08060WVD to supply the 3+ amps required.

Last edited: