Worklog Project: PS2pocket - Brazil

Hello friends!
Sorry, I'm using the google translator.

I'm here to share some of the new project I started, the PS2pocket.

I started this project in parallel to the portable gamecube due to my long wait for some perssonalizados reguladores that I bought in china, and for being very excited by the new guide here of the forum.

The project started due to the new cutting guide of the 79xxx plate, thank you to everyone involved for the excellent guide, which is making this project possible!

The PS2pocket:

* Case printed in 3D
* Cropped control buttons
* original
* Stereo Sound
* Earphone output
* screen 4.3 tft
* freeboot on memory card
* games loaded by USB
* Internal Batteries
* 79xxx plate cut followin

pics:

20180213_105104.jpg

20180213_104545.jpg

20180213_105244.jpg

20180213_105341.jpg

20180213_104539.jpg

20180213_105544.jpg

20180213_104616.jpg

20180213_104720.jpg

20180213_104753.jpg

20180213_105131.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Looks like you performed the trim perfectly! You might benefit from getting 34 or 38 awg magnet wire. The wiring gets pretty bulky at the top of the ps2. I love this so far!

Looks like you performed the trim perfectly! You might benefit from getting 34 or 38 awg magnet wire. The wiring gets pretty bulky at the top of the ps2. I love this so far!
Thanks Gman, I know you are one of the big responsibles for this guide ... the wires are actually a bit thicker, but awg 38 is very fragile, so I used this one, organizing them side by side so they do not get loud, the heat disciple does not come close ...
I would like to ask you, how do you draw the holes of the playstation 2 controls, I tried to draw the directional (dpad), but it does not fit ... would you have the drawing in some file? just by drilling the buttons?
thank you so much!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Thanks Gman, I know you are one of the big responsibles for this guide ... the wires are actually a bit thicker, but awg 38 is very fragile, so I used this one, organizing them side by side so they do not get loud, the heat disciple does not come close ...
I would like to ask you, how do you draw the holes of the playstation 2 controls, I tried to draw the directional (dpad), but it does not fit ... would you have the drawing in some file? just by drilling the buttons?
thank you so much!
Do you mean the dimensions for the directional pad on the case so you can 3D print it? I can get you a screenshot with the dimensions when I get home from work.

Do you mean the dimensions for the directional pad on the case so you can 3D print it? I can get you a screenshot with the dimensions when I get home from work.
That's right! and if possible the action buttons too ... that would be great ... Thank you!

Portables
Loving this so far, good job. Gman did all the crazy trims and its so cool to see others doing it successfully.

Looking forward to seeing the end results of this, there aren't enough PS2Ps!

cfc_12

Portables
why is there no analog in your work?

and btw, can you give me a link of the controller that you're using?

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I know you have barely started, but I know I'm going to love this portable,
I love the direction this portable is going in.
Keep up the good work!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Looks like you're going nice and precise with this design. It's looking good, and nice work with the trim.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I don't have anything to add, but I'm loving your work log so far - it's a delightfully eloquent approach! I'll be watching your power solution with interest as I've still not got mine finalised :D

Loving this so far, good job. Gman did all the crazy trims and its so cool to see others doing it successfully.

Looking forward to seeing the end results of this, there aren't enough PS2Ps!
Yes ... The cutting guide is very good! and well worth it! Control 1 is a little difficult to weld, but thanks to GMAN everything works perfectly ....
I'm glad you liked it ... I hope to finish it as soon as possible ...

Here are the PS2 dpad and action button sketches. The measurements are in metric millimeters. I hope they are useful to you.

GMAN, thanks for your willingness to help ... but I could not understand the measurements ... maybe because I do not have experience in modeling ... I'm learning now ... I did not find measurements in some angles of the drawing that you sent me ... I would like to learn how to draw a case like you do ... to use only the buttons of the original joystick, without cutting and gluing parts of the joystick as I am doing ... if you have any other way to help me, I thank you !!! Thank you!!!

I know you have barely started, but I know I'm going to love this portable,
I love the direction this portable is going in.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks Friend ... I'll try ... =)

Looks like you're going nice and precise with this design. It's looking good, and nice work with the trim.
Thanks ... I drew the case in sketchup, I'm still learning ... = D

I don't have anything to add, but I'm loving your work log so far - it's a delightfully eloquent approach! I'll be watching your power solution with interest as I've still not got mine finalised :D
Are you building a portable ps2 too? this is great ... so we can exchange solutions ... send me the link of your project after ... Energy ... I will be using 4 cells of 3.7v / 2200mha - total = 7.4v / 4400mha ...
20180216_234501.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know the complication of using this official joystick board?
Despite her being small, I see almost no one using them:

20180218_151209.jpg

20180218_151221.jpg

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I stuffed the PS2 inside a Wii U case and have opted for making the power setup external because I've run out of room inside the case. I'm planning on using four 18650 batteries at 3400 mAh - mainly because it was cheap. Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll fix the 3D printer I brought and get the rest of it done.

If it simplifies things for you - one thing I did learn is that the power barrel on the PS2 board is actually switching - so I'm planning on making use of that also :)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Does anyone know the complication of using this official joystick board?
Despite her being small, I see almost no one using them:
As far as I have seen, people generally don't use it because of the buttons in the second picture. It is a plastic film that detects pressure (so they could have "analog" buttons), and it generally causes problems when rewired or removed.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Amazing work, I'm really excited for this portable. Good use of both frankencasing and 3D printing, I love seeing the best of both.