Worklog Blue Shadow's first n64p

Portables
1/2
so i started this thing back in 2016, i'm trying to finish it now, and i got some questions...so i'm going to trim some more of the board off, hopefully you guys can understand what i'm trying to ask.
InkedInkedIMG_2357_LI.jpg
so black is were i want to trim
i was trying to figure out where the 12v/3.3v go, the guide said were the red is, but my multimeter was beeping where the blue is, maybe i wasn't doing it right, so where is it supposed to go? red or blue?
and down at the bottom, if i trim straight across there do i have wire 2 wires across where its yellow? and where is the composite and audio supposed to go?
and 1 more question, is there a better way of mounting tacts for buttons? this is just plexiglass with holes drilled in it...
IMG_2358.JPG
thanks.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I wholeheartedly recommend following the trim guide in the guide hub. It was pretty straightforward for me to do and it was my first major trim. The guide is missing one troubleshooting step in case you can’t get it to boot post-trim, but it’s a pretty easy fix as long as you’ve got a good selection of resistors on hand.

Other answers: if you trim on your drawn black line, the simplest place to hook up voltages are at the power switch. On the back of the board both voltages should be clearly marked. (Note: the 12V line can work off of a 7.4V source, which is a much more common battery output.) If you try the guide trim, it shows where to attach your voltage lines. Composite and audio lines are also identified.

As for those two lines on the bottom, I’m not sure. I cut through those with my trim and the guide didn’t mention reconnecting them. However, before finding the resistor fix that I mentioned earlier, I rewired those traces in case that was why my 64 wouldn’t boot. Now I’m not sure, so I’m going to try severing it again. I’ll let you know when I do.

Portables
1/2
I was looking at the trim guide, but it for revisions 1-4 and i'm not sure what my is...but the chips where you're supposed to hook up the composite and audio are not on my board...or at least there in a different location, so i'm not sure where i'm supposed to hook them up at...thanks, i'll probably just hook up the power to the switch.

Portables
1/2
Success! :) well mostly, can't get the left audio to work, and i know it was working before...anyone have any ideas? i tried resoldering it a few times, but still nothing...but it boots, and i didn't have to rewire the traces at the bottom.
IMG_2359.JPG
By the way this is my favorite (no controller screen) always thought it was funny when i was little.:D

Portables
1/2
So I was thinking about my audio problems, back when i was trimming my ps1 screen, i trimed 1-2 resistors off (got a little carried away....) so maybe that's why i don't have left audio. would it work to put the L/R audio input both to the R input, and then output just the R, would that work?

Attachments

Portables
1/2
Well there plugged in to slot 2 pin 9-10, sorry I'm not sure what the datasheet is for, its for an audio Amp right? But I'm using a ps1 screen...so my question is can I put L/R audio both to the pin 9, then output L/R audio both from 7, will that work?

Portables
1/2
So I checked the output L/R audio signals, and they were both working, so i guess it's the screen that's making the problem, so I made a mono input by splicing the L/R audio together with some resistors plugged into the right audio in pin. then ran 2 wires from the headphone right pin to my headphone jacks L/R, and it works from all that i can tell...I'm just using headphones on my portable, no speakers, I couldn't get the headphone switch to work right, so I gave up on it...I use headphones more anyway... :P

Portables
1/2
alright it's been bit...so i'm going to be gone for awhile, but this is what i got so far,
IMG_2409.JPG
this is a downing case, it's not his current model but anyway, doesn't matter to much to me...I chose the screen/case way back in the day, so now I have to figure out how to make them work, had to cut out some to make the screen fit, and had to cut out the top for the screen board to stick out (that's what that ugly lump on top is for)
IMG_2407.JPG
trimmed some off the bottom of the case too. because i'm not using speakers, I plugged the one (because the fan is going to be right on the back and I don't want air going straight threw I want It come in on the left and go out the right.)
Things learned so far.... I never should have bought a ps1 screen....so many problems...:'( O well I think I can make It work...