Worklog My First Portable Wii

Ey B0is.

The plan:

-internal gc controller
-wifi
-frankencase (laptop 'cause they're awesome)
-usb slots
-sd card slot (mostly for brawl mods\ctgpr)
-bluetooth
-pth08080 regulator system
-one of those 50/50 on actually working on arrival cheap chinese screens (mine works)
-4 18650s
-internal sensor bar

I've already worked for 2 years on a portable GC, so i'm not a TOTAL noob at soldering, sanding, or cutting (I got tired of working with those Nintendo-forsaken-boards). Does this plan sound feasible?

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Sounds totally feasible! Laptops are fun but I hope you have a good plan for the hinge as that’s typically the boon of clamshell designs. Otherwise I’m looking forward to progress on this!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
You can totally do it. I was a total noob when I started too. Just requires a lot of time, patience, and willingness to read/learn. That said, you may want to reconsider Wi-Fi. There's not many things on the Wii that can take advantage of it and if you don't wire it up correctly (did I mention it's really finicky and not exactly noob-friendly to wire up) your Wii won't boot.

That said, you may want to reconsider Wi-Fi. There's not many things on the Wii that can take advantage of it and if you don't wire it up correctly (did I mention it's really finicky and not exactly noob-friendly to wire up) your Wii won't boot.
Couldn't i use the onboard connector and solder my 38 awg wires to the vias? (the trimming guide seems to show that almost all needed pins have vias) And with some magnification and an "I" tip soldering tinned wires to the vias or resistors doesn't look that hard. Also, I was planning on adding wifi in the pack then disabling it in the installation thus only causing the wii to crash with wii games, as Aurelio suggested. I NEEEED CTGPR IN A HOTEL OR SOMETHING.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
The issue is that WiFi is super finicky to wire up. All of the wires need to be as short as possible and as close in length as possible. In the earlier days of Wii trimming, it's what help people back to the point where it was patched out with software.

Also, I was planning on adding wifi in the pack then disabling it in the installation thus only causing the Wii to crash with Wii games, as Aurelio suggested.
I think there is some sort of misunderstanding here. If you don't install the no-WiFi software with the Cheese installer and something goes wrong with WiFi, your Wii will not work at all! I think you might be thinking of the Bluetooth module, which won't cause issues if you use PortablizeMii and it isn't rewired to the board correctly/ at all. If you don't relocate BT then you won't be able to load up Wii games or the Wii menu, but Nintendont and most everything else will work fine.

I get that you want to still play MKW online, but I'd consider whether it's worth the risk for that one thing.

Well, once again, that sucks. I'll ditch it, but I hope in the future that this will somehow be easier, with a custom mini pcb or a meticulously crafted module clone or something. Thanks for the advice.

Brock

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you can only play ctgp if you have a working mkw disc in your Wii.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you can only play ctgp if you have a working mkw disc in your Wii.
That's partially correct. The current version (1.03?) only works with an official disk in drive, but there is a 1.02 wbfs file out there. It just has no online capability, only the latest works online.

Hi

anyone knows what patched ios i can use to block wii check if the dvd drive is conected? like portabilizemii does.

i wanna make a portable without portabilizemii but without need of the board drive too.

mknrls

Hi

anyone knows what patched ios i can use to block wii check if the dvd drive is conected? like portabilizemii does.

i wanna make a portable without portabilizemii but without need of the board drive too.
@Aurelio might be able to help you with that . Try to send him a message

another -1000 happy.
although I made my custom regs and did the u10 relocation, I completely destroyed the bluetooth traces and am out of luck. Now that school's starting up, this one's probably going to end up being finished same time next year as I have an incredibly busy next summer.

Finally making progress, got video on screen but one (5v) regulator died . Found the 5v line for my screen and an ok audio amp, also have all my cooling stuff. Batteries charging and working. H y p e.

Got all the solder off, pretty sure my AVE is fine now.

Also hooked up a 100v 10a voltmeter/ammeter to my battery pack. Pretty cool and definitely would recommend.