fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Although I hate having multiple projects going at once, I need some parts in order to continue my PNP console but I’m currently saving cash for Christmas, so I wanted to switch to something I already had parts on hand for.

My only completed 64p to date is the Luma 64, a portable that, while I wasn’t entirely dissatisfied with the exterior, admittedly had crap for internals. I decided that I would rebuild it from the ground up, putting it in a newer, smaller case. The new case will most likely not be glow-in-the-dark, making it less cheery/more gloomy than its predecessor. Hence, Glooma 64. Maybe I’ll paint on skulls or gargoyles or something to really drive the point home.

Here’s what remains of the Luma. Cart slot was relocated with Bungle’s 27-wire method which worked out pretty well. Trimming was very minimal, basically just cutting off some grounding to make a bit more space in the old Tupperware case. Left controller jacks were ripped off because I only had a crap RS iron when I started the Luma circa 2010. I’ll do a proper trim this time around in order to maximize space. Also will be switching to one of the $10 3.5” screens that I recently picked up since those work great with the 64. Previously had a 5” that I perma put in 4:3 ratio because all the smaller backup monitors I bought had issues with older consoles.

Popped off the heatsinks because the Luma was having some overheating issues and I was worried that was the problem. I had used a dab of arctic silver on each sink then secured them with a tiny amount of super glue in each corner. Now there’s leftover superglue residue on each chip so I’m worried that I made a grave mistake. Any advice from veterans on the cooling situation? I thought about going at the residue with some acetone to get it off, but was worried that would damage the chips. What about re-attaching the sinks? If super glue isn’t the way to go, how else would I do it?

Once I get the board trimmed, I’ll start designing the case. I’m thinking of doing something with a somewhat organic design and I’m wanting to experiment with casemaking using only abs cement, something I can supply in abundance.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Although I hate having multiple projects going at once, I need some parts in order to continue my PNP console but I’m currently saving cash for Christmas, so I wanted to switch to something I already had parts on hand for.

My only completed 64p to date is the Luma 64, a portable that, while I wasn’t entirely dissatisfied with the exterior, admittedly had crap for internals. I decided that I would rebuild it from the ground up, putting it in a newer, smaller case. The new case will most likely not be glow-in-the-dark, making it less cheery/more gloomy than its predecessor. Hence, Glooma 64. Maybe I’ll paint on skulls or gargoyles or something to really drive the point home.

Here’s what remains of the Luma. Cart slot was relocated with Bungle’s 27-wire method which worked out pretty well. Trimming was very minimal, basically just cutting off some grounding to make a bit more space in the old Tupperware case. Left controller jacks were ripped off because I only had a crap RS iron when I started the Luma circa 2010. I’ll do a proper trim this time around in order to maximize space. Also will be switching to one of the $10 3.5” screens that I recently picked up since those work great with the 64. Previously had a 5” that I perma put in 4:3 ratio because all the smaller backup monitors I bought had issues with older consoles.

Popped off the heatsinks because the Luma was having some overheating issues and I was worried that was the problem. I had used a dab of arctic silver on each sink then secured them with a tiny amount of super glue in each corner. Now there’s leftover superglue residue on each chip so I’m worried that I made a grave mistake. Any advice from veterans on the cooling situation? I thought about going at the residue with some acetone to get it off, but was worried that would damage the chips. What about re-attaching the sinks? If super glue isn’t the way to go, how else would I do it?

Once I get the board trimmed, I’ll start designing the case. I’m thinking of doing something with a somewhat organic design and I’m wanting to experiment with casemaking using only abs cement, something I can supply in abundance.
Go on fleabay and look for 3M thermal adhesive pads. They're basically thermal paste in thin double sided tape form. Any that fit would do fine, but you'd have to clean all that off the chips first.

bud

DAT ASS
Portables
13+-ish Can't remember ;P
Did you cut that board with your teeth?

Soldering with your toes must only take a small amount of skill.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Did you cut that board with your teeth?

jes whu da phuk dyu fink u are kent?

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Had a bit of time to do some more modding tonight...
IMG_0918.gif

Completed my board trim. Didn't get a chance to wire it up for testing yet though. Want to get the edges sanded clean first and make sure there are no shorts.

JoJo

fibbef, theres actually an enemy in Paper Mario named "Gloomba". It's literally the darker underground version of a normal Goomba. Maybe you could use that for case paint/design inspiration. Thought you'd like the coincidence.
"A Goomba that likes dark, damp places. It must look like that because it lives below ground!"

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
@JoJo nice idea! I hadn't thought about that - actually forgot about Gloomba, if he even made an appearance in TTYD, which is the only Paper Mario I've played so far. For lack of better ideas, I may just take that theme and run with it.

Anyway, after much troubleshooting, I'm happy to announce that I have a working trim!

For the longest time I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I rewired the cart slot (which desperately needed an overhaul), rewired my regulator (likewise), and reconnected some traces below the expansion slot (which I'm not convinced was necessary). I jumped back and forth between the trimming guide here and Bud's guide on ModRetro and spotted the part where a 2K resistor bridging pin 8 on the PIF chip and the 3.3V line might fix the trim. Tested and working!

JoJo

I jumped back and forth between the trimming guide here and Bud's guide on ModRetro and spotted the part where a 2K resistor bridging pin 8 on the PIF chip and the 3.3V line might fix the trim. Tested and working!
Yes, I had to do this as well. I feel like the guides that I have seen explaining the cuts do not expressly say that this is needed. Maybe it has to do with different board versions (some needing it and some not) idk. But i think it's worth adding to the guide.

BTW congrats on the successful trim!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Progress is slow, but that's what happens when I can't get any work done until the kids go to bed. Or in the case of this update, take their Sunday afternoon nap.

I was hesitant to do an expansion pak bend, but it stuck out too much like a sore thumb, so I decided to give it a shot. Worst case I butcher the expansion pak and have to resort to using a spare jumper pak I have.

After testing continuity of the traces I severed and reconnected, I gave it powered and all looks good!

Correction: most looks good. I guess the RAM heatsinks that I had super glued in place sit a bit low, preventing me from doing a full 90 degree bend. Regardless, this should save a bit of space in my case, which I'll start designing next.

Portables
I had to do the expansion pak bend for the same reasons. Just needed that extra quarter of an inch clearance to be able to fit everything in my case lol. Good job getting it right the first time, I went through 2 of them before I got one to work for more than 30 minutes lol. Everything looks to be coming along nicely, can't wait to see more progress.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I went through 2 of them before I got one to work for more than 30 minutes lol.
They died after 30 minutes or what? Yikes I haven’t tested nearly that long. Basically long enough to confirm it turns on and to take those pics. I guess I should hook up a controller and play some DK64 for a bit to stress test it.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Time for a major necro-bump. Since I picked up a 3D printer last November, I decided that this (and probably the rest of my projects) most definitely need to be 3D printed. So I've been quietly working on my design for this.

Front of the case is nearly finished, but many small tweaks still need to be made.

I didn't intend for the back of the case to appear to have a huge mustache, but after coming up with the main shape/size of the body, I realized I only had room for 2 lipo cells when I really wanted 4. (I'm not great at planning, ok?) The grips/mustache attach via screws from the inside of the back piece.

I ordered a 200-pack of orange tacts from Kestparts and their dimentions are the current unknown as they will determine the offsets for the controller boards. I could probably just ask someone, but where's the fun in that?

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Although it still needs a lot of tweaks, I decided to go ahead with a test print.

I had a tiny artifact sticking out of the "wings" as I like to call this back piece. That's why it decided to print a layer of support under the entire thing.

It turned out far from perfect, but I'm very happy with the way the back and the wings came together. Also, the cart slot fits like a glove. Anyway, I just got excited from this print and wanted to share. Now it's back to the Fusion 360 drawing board.

A tiny update from the electronics side of things: picked up a 3rd party N64 controller and swapped the crappy joystick with one pulled from a Wii DJ Hero controller. I'm happy to report that it works flawlessly (at least during 3 minutes of running around in Mario 64) and feels 100 times better than the one it replaced.

JoJo

Nice print! Looks like it will come together nicely. Btw, a Gloomba with wings is now a Para-Gloomba! ;D